My Practice MCAT Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr JPH

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took an online practice MCAT test (Princeton), for the biological sciences section only. I got a 6. I am still a year away from taking the actual test (I'm only second year undergrad). How did others do with the first attempt? Is a 6 a good score for being a year away from the test? I am taking a mock MCAT late in March so I will see how I do with that.

Thanks

------------------
Josh Hazelton
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
"D.O. Wannabe"

Members don't see this ad.

First time out was in Sophomore year and I got a 9 on the Biological Science section. I took the real thing in the summer after Sophomore year and scored a 13 (after a Kaplan review course).

Don't worry about the 6 you got on a practice ON-LINE MCAT. It's not the same thing and you probably don't know the stuff all that well yet. Take a course or do some heavy studying before the real thing and you should be fine.

Tim of New York City.

A year is plenty of time to prepare for the MCAT. I also got a 6 in the biological sciences my first attempt and I have a BA. Don't sweat it, discipline yourself, study, and you'll do fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also scored a 6 on my first bio Princeton test. I made a 10 on the real thing. I scored a 4 on my first verbal (ouch!) and also made a 10 on the real thing. My last diagnostic test was 9V, 9P, 11B and I made 10V, 8P, 10B on the real thing, so I my practice was consistent with the real thing. Got lots of interviews and both allopathic and osteopathic acceptances. It's hard not to freak out when you're in the middle of the process, I know, but if you remain calm the likelihood of scoring well will increase for you. Good luck!

------------------
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams.

--Willy Wonka

I have heard some people suggest that the mock exams and practice section exams released by some of the test prep agencies are very difficult exams. The purpose of this is to scare (maybe not the best word) people into signing up for a prep course. Just a thought that may or may not be true!

[This message has been edited by bri1856 (edited 02-29-2000).]

I don't think it matters whether or not these mock exams are more difficult than the real thing or not. The simple fact is, you're gonna need to study somehow and these courses provide you with a good, concise, and efficient way of studying for a very long exam.

I wouldn't chance the MCAT without proper review. It's too important a test.

Tim of New York City.

I have to agree with the turtle. This is your life you're dealing with, don't leave anything to chance. I took a Kaplan review course and raised my score significantly. Incidentally, I believe in the system enough to have become an instructor for Kaplan and officially I am suppose to tell you that those scores are comparable. In reality...who knows! So, JPH, don't worry about those scores now. Do everything in your power to ensure that you are the best possible candidate you can be and I am certain that things will work out for you!

[This message has been edited by bri1856 (edited 02-29-2000).]

I would like to thank all of you or your responses. One of the biggest things that keeps me in this pursuit of medicine is the confidence and great advice I get from fine folks like you.

Thank you again!!