fayevalentine

See you space cowboy.
5+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
DAT is in less than a week. I'm still getting scores as low as 18 and then I'll get some up in the 20's. Feeling the panic setting in. Does anyone have any general advice for keeping my cool and pushing on?

DC206R

5+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2013
Status
Dental Student
Keep it going. I assume at this stage, you've done some full length practice tests? See how you're doing on those and review the holes in your knowledge. Best of luck!

Reactions: fayevalentine

jdenney741

2+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2016
Las Vegas
Don't get discouraged about your tests being up and down. I started this process that is about to come to an end almost 3 months ago. My first tests were 13-16s. I immediately rescheduled my test to give me an extra 2 weeks.

I now am scoring 18's and 19s. My goal is at least an 18 because I know I will get into my state school with that, and that is my #1 school regardless.

fit2

2+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
I feel. Honestly I don't understand people that have high scores consistently (aka Feralis...his practice tests are soooo consistent). Anyway I don't think you should worry about it. We have good and bad days. I think it's important to mentally prepare yourself for the DAT...to know that you will do your very best and that you will be focused on the test day.

Have you taken a full 4:15 test in one sitting? I started doing that this week and it was sooo hard for the first two days. I couldn't have done it on the test day.
Also, when you take a full test take some time and imagine this is the real test and force yourself to fully focus...if you do this a few times and try your best I think you will be prepared on the test day and you will be constant.

Also, don't tire out yourself this week. I'd rather go over the details you're struggling with and do it in small bits. Gets lots of sleep and again I think it's very important to mentally prepare yourself. My DAT is coming up in less than 3 weeks so I'm starting to feel the pressure.

But hey it's gonna pass! And if you studied and did your best you'll do great ;)

Charles_Darwin

2+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
I've said it a bunch of times before on this forum - be glad that you had an opportunity to make those mistakes on the practice test and not on the real one! Don't let your low scores discourage you - learn from them and forget about the score. Move one and keep hustling :) here are my practice score lows for comparison:

Bootcamp

Bio: 18

GC: 18

OC: 17

QR: 17

RC: 19

PAT: 19

Axiomatician

2+ Year Member
May 13, 2016
Status
Dental Student
I made lower scores on my DAT than my practice tests. Here is my opinion: DAT Bootcamp is useless for telling you how good you will do. It can only you tell if you aren't ready(i.e. making a 16-18 AA on a DBC test) I made a 24 average on Gen Chem on my DBC tests, and ended up with a 19. I also made a 19 RC average and ended up with a 24. Don't waste your time with taking practice tests, seeing your scores, and freaking out because you have to do better than that. That is exactly what I did for weeks before my exam and it was futile. Study Cliffs, Destroyer, and Chads. Destroyer is invaluable and if you have the time, work through it. I would have worked it 4 times through if I could have, in retrospect.

OP
fayevalentine

fayevalentine

See you space cowboy.
5+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
I feel. Honestly I don't understand people that have high scores consistently (aka Feralis...his practice tests are soooo consistent). Anyway I don't think you should worry about it. We have good and bad days. I think it's important to mentally prepare yourself for the DAT...to know that you will do your very best and that you will be focused on the test day.

Have you taken a full 4:15 test in one sitting? I started doing that this week and it was sooo hard for the first two days. I couldn't have done it on the test day.
Also, when you take a full test take some time and imagine this is the real test and force yourself to fully focus...if you do this a few times and try your best I think you will be prepared on the test day and you will be constant.

Also, don't tire out yourself this week. I'd rather go over the details you're struggling with and do it in small bits. Gets lots of sleep and again I think it's very important to mentally prepare yourself. My DAT is coming up in less than 3 weeks so I'm starting to feel the pressure.

But hey it's gonna pass! And if you studied and did your best you'll do great ;)
Good luck to you :). Thank you for the advice. I did do a full length and it was rough! I'm planning on doing another one either tomorrow or Sunday. I will start trying to get better sleep, I think my lack of sleep is starting to hurt me.

OP
fayevalentine

fayevalentine

See you space cowboy.
5+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
Don't get discouraged about your tests being up and down. I started this process that is about to come to an end almost 3 months ago. My first tests were 13-16s. I immediately rescheduled my test to give me an extra 2 weeks.

I now am scoring 18's and 19s. My goal is at least an 18 because I know I will get into my state school with that, and that is my #1 school regardless.
Good luck! I hope you get the scores you want :). Thank you for the encouragement.

OP
fayevalentine

fayevalentine

See you space cowboy.
5+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
Don't waste your time with taking practice tests, seeing your scores, and freaking out because you have to do better than that. That is exactly what I did for weeks before my exam and it was futile.
I spoke with Nancy (from Destroyer) today and she gave me similar advice. Thank you :) I'm going to focus more on the solutions and less on the numbers.

LuckBloodandSweat

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2015
Status
Dental Student
Full lengths are for stamina and gauging your general abilities (not a perfect assessment at all). My practice tests ranged from 17 AA(DAMN YOU ACHIEVER) to 24/25 AA (2007 and one of the topscores). I was definitely all over the place and thought that those scores meant something. They absolutely do not! Focus on what you get wrong and make sure the questions you are getting asked are realistic/within the realm of topics you need to know. Main reason I did tests was just to make sure I got used to being hammered by questions for 4+ hrs in a row. You've got this : ))

OP
fayevalentine

fayevalentine

See you space cowboy.
5+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
Full lengths are for stamina and gauging your general abilities (not a perfect assessment at all). My practice tests ranged from 17 AA(DAMN YOU ACHIEVER) to 24/25 AA (2007 and one of the topscores). I was definitely all over the place and thought that those scores meant something. They absolutely do not! Focus on what you get wrong and make sure the questions you are getting asked are realistic/within the realm of topics you need to know. Main reason I did tests was just to make sure I got used to being hammered by questions for 4+ hrs in a row. You've got this : ))
Thank you for the support! I appreciate your positivity :) great job on your retake btw!

Reactions: LuckBloodandSweat

LuckBloodandSweat

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2015
Status
Dental Student