My President Is Black...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What up doc

FLASH
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...my lambo is blue!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCsvsSPwsNc

so what impact does Obama's presidency have on health care, specifically for minorities? Most physicians to whom I have adressed this question (except for EM physcians) say that the future of healthcare is bleak. It saddens me to hear this because I have never been so happy, proud, excited about a politician in my life.

Members don't see this ad.

Universal health care will probably work out best for low income peoples. I live in Atlanta, where this is synonymous with minorities. As for why the general consensus among health care professionals is in disagreement with with the plans Obama has for the health system, if they ever occur, there are plenty of threads through on SDN debating this. There are numerous arguments used, and I am not going to attempt to try to summarize them because I don't think I can.
One of the more widely used is that Obama has a tenuous grasp of the workings of the health system, and doesn't understand how to best improve it. Ask any physician who has worked with Medicare, and they will tell you how frustrating it is, and expanding the system to cover the whole board would be like hell. The problem is that Obama has run on a platform of health care change, and now that he has been elected, he can't turn away from it.

Edit
I also find that video ironic considering the pres elect's ideas on living less exuberant lifestyles.

Last edited:
lol at the lambo...

I've also heard so many opinions about Obama's health care plan that I can't describe it. The AMA even has a suggested plan of their own that I read, which suspiciously looked a lot like McCain's plan (wait, who's he?).

Despite the feasibility of his plan, I'm now concerned for the economy and the bailouts. Congress just authorized spending of the second 350 billion for the failing banks and other companies. I think Obama has much larger tasks on his plate like the economy, Gaza, Iraq, and other things that Bush messed up. *sigh*

Members don't see this ad :)
o-bama o-bama o-bama man obama's so ILL (love that song)

I don't know what the future holds. The cynical side of me says that it won't be what everyone is hoping for but its better than nothing. At the least I take comfort in knowing we have a President that can give a voice to the disenfranchised - whether they be African Americans or any other group that has been left without a voice in the political process for a long time.

actually your president is more of a cocoa brown :laugh:

BARACKKKKKK!!!!!!! :soexcited::clap::bow: He's so inspirational. I might run for mayor of Detroit one day. Someone needs to clean up that city.

As for his healthcare plan, I have faith that his team of experts will lead him in the right direction. I wouldn't worry about it..... God help him. :scared: :xf::D

...my lambo is blue!
And I'll be got damned if my rims aint too!
My mama aint home, my daddy still in jail

That part was actually true for me.

Anyways, I've also heard about the bleakness of the medical profession, but I'm just so proud man. No joke, and I know this is cliche as hell, but damn, words can't express my jubilation.

History was made yesterday.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHf46888f-I&eurl=http://realtalkny.uproxx.com/&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

Damn this is feel good music.

And I'll be got damned if my rims aint too!
My mama aint home, my daddy still in jail

That part was actually true for me.

Anyways, I've also heard about the bleakness of the medical profession, but I'm just so proud man. No joke, and I know this is cliche as hell, but damn, words can't express my jubilation.

that's more or less what i was talking about. i too am so incredibly estatic about our president. but then you hear ppl constantly bashing how terrible it will be in the healthcare industry that it kinda of tempers my enthusiasm. i dunna.

but ive been crankin this joint loud as hell since yesterday

History was made yesterday.

[youtube]FHf46888f-I[/youtube]

Damn this is feel good music.

that performanced was on point. but jigga looks reDONKulous in those goggles. ha...he was never a sight to behold, but the glasses dont help, at all. aha...

...my lambo is blue!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCsvsSPwsNc

so what impact does Obama's presidency have on health care, specifically for minorities? Most physicians to whom I have adressed this question (except for EM physcians) say that the future of healthcare is bleak. It saddens me to hear this because I have never been so happy, proud, excited about a politician in my life.

Specifically for minorities? Not Much IMHO. But I'm just glad he was able to break through the "good old boys club".

I noticed the 'Black Power' fists going up.. imagine a music video with white artists throwing up the 'White Power' fist. Anyway, good song though.

Please dont compare a black power fist to white power fist.

Why don't you give ur president a chance? Even If he is black a white be rest assured that there will be no more wars and ur security is garanteed

Members don't see this ad :)
that performanced was on point. but jigga looks reDONKulous in those goggles. ha...he was never a sight to behold, but the glasses dont help, at all. aha...

he looks ridiculous 9 times out of 10 :laugh:

Please dont compare a black power fist to white power fist.
I don't think he was. In fact, I think he was pointing out the drastic difference in the two symbols.

Also, simonikera, what is it about Obama that makes you put such faith in him?

I don't think he was. In fact, I think he was pointing out the drastic difference in the two symbols.

Also, simonikera, what is it about Obama that makes you put such faith in him?

I was sorta wondering the same thing. I mean, because of his popularity and ability to communicate, I'm sure obama has potential... but ending all wars, etc? Really? I don't think Obama has anywhere said he's necessarily "antiwar". He criticized the Bush administration for their choice to go to Iraq, but he in no way indicated we wouldn't be involved in war.....

I was sorta wondering the same thing. I mean, because of his popularity and ability to communicate, I'm sure obama has potential... but ending all wars, etc? Really? I don't think Obama has anywhere said he's necessarily "antiwar". He criticized the Bush administration for their choice to go to Iraq, but he in no way indicated we wouldn't be involved in war.....
Yes, your right. In fact, he said he wanted to move the troops from Iraq to Afghanistan. My question is, why are you getting so riled up?

.The election was held on Nov 2 and it turns out Obama won. Even if you didn't vote for him, you should not antagonize him and at best support him. The reason being that I don't see "How can we love our country and not love our countrymen…". It is not your or the nation's best interest for a president to fail, regardless of their political affilitiations. Even Bush and McCain understand that.

Yes, your right. In fact, he said he wanted to move the troops from Iraq to Afghanistan. My question is, why are you getting so riled up?

.The election was held on Nov 2 and it turns out Obama won. Even if you didn't vote for him, you should not antagonize him and at best support him. The reason being that I don't see "How can we love our country and not love our countrymen…". It is not your or the nation's best interest for a president to fail, regardless of their political affilitiations. Even Bush and McCain understand that..
Sadly, some people would rather see the country fail than support Obama. Rush Limbaugh for example :cool:

.The election was held on Nov 2 and it turns out Obama won. Even if you didn't vote for him, you should not antagonize him and at best support him. The reason being that I don't see "How can we love our country and not love our countrymen…". It is not your or the nation's best interest for a president to fail, regardless of their political affilitiations. Even Bush and McCain understand that.

We're not antagonizing Obama, we're antagonizing the people who are putting this blind faith in Obama based on his stunning public speaking skills. No one is in any way saying Obama is going to be a poor president, we're only saying that he has yet to truly prove himself (because he hasn't had a chance), and I am reserving my support until he does so.

And yes, there are some very radical critics out there who seem to have a problem with every last one of obama's policies. Rush Limbaugh, Neal Bortz, Sean Hannity, etc. They're just being controversial because it is their job.

We're not antagonizing Obama, we're antagonizing the people who are putting this blind faith in Obama based on his stunning public speaking skills. No one is in any way saying Obama is going to be a poor president, we're only saying that he has yet to truly prove himself (because he hasn't had a chance), and I am reserving my support until he does so.

And yes, there are some very radical critics out there who seem to have a problem with every last one of obama's policies. Rush Limbaugh, Neal Bortz, Sean Hannity, etc. They're just being controversial because it is their job.

Exactly. I don't think either Hippias or myself showed any signs of being "riled up" in our posts. We merely questioned some people's (IMO) sorta naive faith in a man's ability to do ALL THINGS, including some things he hasn't even said he wants or plans to do. If you think Obama (or anyone) can stop earthquakes, floods, lightning strikes, war, stubbed toes, or bigotry, you're going to be sorely disappointed....;)

This is the only logical way to view the situation at this point IMHO. It's scary the amount of people that are swinging from his scrotum because he's black, attractive, and well spoken. I think it's naive to do so given the fact that he doesn't have a huge amount of political presence prior to his presidency. Many things remain to be seen. I like the guy, I voted for him, but im not stupid. We'll see how it plays out and as the President, he has my respect and support.

This is the only logical way to view the situation at this point IMHO. It's scary the amount of people that are swinging from his scrotum because he's black, attractive, and well spoken. I think it's naive to do so given the fact that he doesn't have a huge amount of political presence prior to his presidency. Many things remain to be seen. I like the guy, I voted for him, but im not stupid. We'll see how it plays out and as the President, he has my respect and support.

I agree that its foolish to expect something from someone simply because of their skin color etc. My claim is that someone who can talk that clearly and can elucidate his plans must know something about what they plan on doing. Look at the contrapositive: if you don't know what your doing, you probably can explain your actions and plans. On the other hand, I do admit that he doesn't have the credentials on paper that Biden and Mccain do.

The legislature usually goes about it the other way around: they give the president a honeymoon and don't really oppose with until he does something wrong, becomes less popular, or proposes unpopular policy.

Sadly, some people would rather see the country fail than support Obama. Rush Limbaugh for example :cool:
That's why he is an he is considered an extremist with his head up his ass. I frankly don't think he is patriotic (may be in his own delusional way).

Despite the reason, rockstar status, race, charisma etc., Obama has the ability to inspire and unite people. If you don't support his policies, at least support the fire and passion that he instills in people.

Do I support all of his policies? No. But I support him. He could be an absolute fraud, however his message is still real and pertinent to contemporary society: unity, progression, government accountability and transparency. I support THAT.

I honestly believe this is a time to be united. There will be pessimists, skeptics, cynics, racists etc. that try to break up the unity and passion that America has. So be it. But don't you think, as a country, we'd operate a lot better as the United States. So why be a hater?

Despite the reason, rockstar status, race, charisma etc., Obama has the ability to inspire and unite people. If you don't support his policies, at least support the fire and passion that he instills in people.

Do I support all of his policies? No. But I support him. He could be an absolute fraud, however his message is still real and pertinent to contemporary society: unity, progression, government accountability and transparency. I support THAT.

I honestly believe this is a time to be united. There will be pessimists, skeptics, cynics, racists etc. that try to break up the unity and passion that America has. So be it. But don't you think, as a country, we'd operate a lot better as the United States. So why be a hater?

You support him even though you don't support his policies? This is exactly the kind of blind faith that stuns me. The idea is admirable that as a united force, we as a nation can achieve any goal, but personally I have to know who I am following before I can be led, and I don't know who Obama is yet. As I said, if Obama begins to lead the county in a direction that I agree with, then I will support him fully.
The country needs skeptics and critics who are constantly questioning the way things are done, that is the way of the US. So why be a sheep?

The AMA even has a suggested plan of their own that I read, which suspiciously looked a lot like McCain's plan (wait, who's he?).

Good lord, no! McCain's plan would have doomed me to death and/or extreme poverty (private premiums, if I lived in a state where I could get them, would be 12,000-24,00 a year, not including co-pay or deductibles--not something a small credit would make a dent in).

You support him even though you don't support his policies? This is exactly the kind of blind faith that stuns me.
Hahaha. I wrote... Do I support ALL of his policies? Keyword... ALL! This is exactly the kind of blind distortion and antagonism that makes me question why I come to this site. I don't support ALL of anything. Except Kobe, because he's the greatest ever.

And my post still stands. I've NEVER seen my community, family and friends so intrigued and inspired by a person, let alone a political figure. And it's not because of his color, because there have been plenty of AA politicians that have failed to reach my community. He wouldn't have such tremendous support and optimism if his message didn't resonate in the hearts and minds of the people. He has IT. And I support IT.

And aint nobody being a sheep. Or walking in blind faith. Everyone has read/heard/known that one person can't fix all the problems and that it's going to take a collective effort. He can motivate, unite and inspire people to give that effort. Moreso than any other political figure that I've seen in my lifetime. So why be a hater?

So because everyone is rallying behind him, you think that it's wrong of me not to as well? I get what you're selling, I'm just not buying. WHY are the people rallying behind him? Charisma, personality, well spoken. That's not good enough for me. I'm not rallying behind any one until I have come to my own conclusion that he is a leader fit to lead me. He has a beautiful message, but until I see him in action following through with what he promises, the people of the US will have to do without my presence in their lines. Sheep, etc.

Edit. Let's back track. This was all about simonikera's post that implied that all the problems of the US are going to be solved by Obama's presidency, and my disagreement with that belief because it is unfounded.
We're now talking about whether it is right or wrong to not be behind Obama because that detracts from the power that could be used to achieve goals. I believe it is not because I am not certain that Obama is really going to go after these goals, or if he is just another politician who was elected because of his charisma, speaking skills etc. and want to reserve my full support of him until he has had some time to exercise his power and judge for myself if I agree with how he does so.
This really seems like a difference in beliefs in WHY one should support the president, and is probably one of those times best to say I agree to disagree. So I do. I respectfully disagree with your belief in this matter, and will not argue with it further.

Last edited:
I've NEVER seen my community, family and friends so intrigued and inspired by a person, let alone a political figure.

And this doesn't worry at all?

Have you ever taken a history class that covered the 1930s?

Is there any way you can empathize with people who disagree with obama's stated policies especially in this environment when it appears he can do no wrong?

Or should we just jail anyone who disagrees like Rush or Sean?

I forgot how ignorant internet arguing is and how people take what is written apply the dumbest and most extremist "logic" to distort the original message.

So because everyone is rallying behind him, you think that it's wrong of me not to as well?
I never said what was wrong or right.

WHY are the people rallying behind him? Charisma, personality, well spoken.
I don't know why you keep mentioning charisma, personality and eloquence. I said:
He could be an absolute fraud, however his message is still real and pertinent to contemporary society: unity, progression, government accountability and transparency. I support THAT.

And again...

He wouldn't have such tremendous support and optimism if his message didn't resonate in the hearts and minds of the people.
Keyword... message. He shares the same perspectives of many people in my community. What he is saying is what we have been saying for years and his message is what gave him the ability to win over us over. It's about time someone sees things how we see things. The other qualities were icing on the cake.

This really seems like a difference in beliefs in WHY one should support the president, and is probably one of those times best to say I agree to disagree. So I do. I respectfully disagree with your belief in this matter, and will not argue with it further.
Word.

And this doesn't worry at all?

Have you ever taken a history class that covered the 1930s?

Is there any way you can empathize with people who disagree with obama's stated policies especially in this environment when it appears he can do no wrong?

Or should we just jail anyone who disagrees like Rush or Sean?
No, no, no, yes </sarcasm>

Well, the first question was legit so I'll answer it. Am I worried about people placing blind faith in a person? Of course. However
Everyone has read/heard/known that one person can't fix all the problems and that it's going to take a collective effort.

As long as people understand that I think we'll be aite.

As I said, difference in beliefs. You seem to believe that what Obama has the ability to do qualifies him, I believe that what Obama has done qualifies him.

Obama has the ability to inspire and unite people. If you don't support his policies, at least support the fire and passion that he instills in people.
This could be taken as you saying it is wrong not to support Obama, because you are telling me I should support his ability to raise the passions of the people IE what qualifies him, to you, to be supported.

You may call my logic dumb and extremist, but I'm afraid you will have to find someone else to disagree with.

I dont think there is any need to worry about health care because of Obama. The medical profession tends to exaggerate the cries of despair about how federal government universal health care will slash physician salaries dramatically and blah blah blah...

Due to the crappy economy and since it is based on the fundamentals of capitalism, I dont think government funding universal health care will happen until after we are all dead, if ever. Political change like this moves at a glacial pace and to create the infrastructure for this would take years. Universal health care is for socialist countries where extreme taxation on your paycheck happens before you get anything. Our form of "universal health care" would likely come in the form of multiple payors I think, which could actually be lucrative if you are savvy enough.

Heck, you can even make decent money now if you have a great knowledge of how to bill and have people you can trust in your billing dept. Document, document, document.

I think the most Obama can do is cover all children, and thats probably about all he'll get done, even if he gets two terms.

Honestly, I'd be more concerned about Medicare and their constant reimbursement cuts. Its getting to the point where PCPs cant survive practicing on their own between loan repayment, overhead and malpractice.

The physicians I know who work in underrepresented areas taking mostly Medicare/Medicaid patients would do better financially by going back to their local state college, getting an engineering degree and getting a job in computer or civil engineering. Because of the extra expenses physicians (PCPs specifically are hit the hardest) have, the engineer does better. I'm not kidding, I have a few college friends making ~100K after bonuses.

I hope no one thought they were going to get rich on their base salary.

Last edited:
I dont think there is any need to worry about health care because of Obama. The medical profession tends to exaggerate the cries of despair about how federal government universal health care will slash physician salaries dramatically and blah blah blah...

Due to the crappy economy and since it is based on the fundamentals of capitalism, I dont think government funding universal health care will happen until after we are all dead, if ever. Political change like this moves at a glacial pace and to create the infrastructure for this would take years. Universal health care is for socialist countries where extreme taxation on your paycheck happens before you get anything. Our form of "universal health care" would likely come in the form of multiple payors I think, which could actually be lucrative if you are savvy enough.

Heck, you can even make decent money now if you have a great knowledge of how to bill and have people you can trust in your billing dept. Document, document, document.

I think the most Obama can do is cover all children, and thats probably about all he'll get done, even if he gets two terms.

Honestly, I'd be more concerned about Medicare and their constant reimbursement cuts. Its getting to the point where PCPs cant survive practicing on their own between loan repayment, overhead and malpractice.

The physicians I know who work in underrepresented areas taking mostly Medicare/Medicaid patients would do better financially by going back to their local state college, getting an engineering degree and getting a job in computer or civil engineering. Because of the extra expenses physicians (PCPs specifically are hit the hardest) have, the engineer does better. I'm not kidding, I have a few college friends making ~100K after bonuses.

I hope no one thought they were going to get rich on their base salary.

Actually the above is true. It's the current system that is eroding salaries mostly because of the perception that all physicians have "deep pockets" and the huge number of uninsured folks (rising every day). Physician salaries eroded over the past five years, to the point that many folks had trouble paying increased malpractice preminums with decreased reimbursements and increased overhead (you do need an office staff).

If you have to try to see 75 patients per day to take home more than $150K, you aren't doing much of thorough job with those patients. If you have to spend six to eight hours filling out paperwork, you are not seeing patients and that's cutting into your salary. If your third-party payer decides that they are going to cut what they will pay for that perfect lap chole that you spent years learning to perfect, you can't do much about that except hire a good collection agency and hope that your patient can pay.

The present system isn't helping anyone much especially the newly minted physician that is right out of practice with a boatload of debt. Medicare/Medicaid has been cutting physician reimbursements every year until this past one when that legislation was placed on hold. It's going to happen again.

If the economy isn't stimulated to the point that people get their jobs back, physicians are going down with the rest of the mother ship. These problems are not because of President Obama but because of past practices. In the words of Samuel L. Jackson in Jurassic Park, "Hold on to your bu--s!"