my problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nybrian

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm transferingto baruch from a CC, and i have to take a math placement test. I'll be taking a trigonometry, and college algebra test. I took a college algebra course as well as a trigonometry course in CC, but i can't remember most of it. I'm going to have to retake these courses because i need calculus as a prerequisite to medical school. how bad will it be if i take these courses again. I have a 3.5 gpa from CC

Members don't see this ad.

I'm transferingto baruch from a CC, and i have to take a math placement test. I'll be taking a trigonometry, and college algebra test. I took a college algebra course as well as a trigonometry course in CC, but i can't remember most of it. I'm going to have to retake these courses because i need calculus as a prerequisite to medical school. how bad will it be if i take these courses again. I have a 3.5 gpa from CC

I'm sorry, what? I don't really understand the question.

Meet with a counselor and try to at least get into a precalc class (if not calc) so you don't waste time retaking algebra and trig. Usually they'll do this once they see your transcript, even if you don't pass the placement test. It should come back after the first few weeks. I was able to get an A in Calc after not taking Trig since high school over 15 yrs ago. I had to use a lot of office hrs though, and ask a few stupid questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol. I'm transfering to another school. They have a math placement test that all transfers must take. It has a trigonometry, and college algebra section. I feel like I'm going to fail both of these sections, and have to take college algebra and trigonometry again (I already took them once at the CC). How bad will this affect me in med school adissions?

I don't think adcoms will count it against you. They may ask why you repeated it in an interview, but I doubt it. They won't know about the placement test unless you tell them.

lol. I'm transfering to another school. They have a math placement test that all transfers must take. It has a trigonometry, and college algebra section. I feel like I'm going to fail both of these sections, and have to take college algebra and trigonometry again (I already took them once at the CC). How bad will this affect me in med school adissions?

Thanks for clearing that up.

If you do poorly, your GPA will go down. This will be bad for med school admissions. If you do well, your GPA will go up. This is good. That's basically all there is to it. It doesn't matter that you take the classes, what matters is your performence.

You might want to brush up on trig and algebra and avoid the whole inconvenience if possible. These subjects are not anywhere near as difficult as some pre-med courses (organic chem, physics). If you do poorly in algebra there's no way you're going to do well in calculus or physics. Even bio and chem use algebra. If you don't pass the placement test, I agree with looking into a precalc class.

If you cannot confidently do trig and algebra, you will have serious problems later on in basically 90% of your courses. I suggest you try to learn them as soon as possible.

Algebra is a must for college. You need to be able to preform algebra at extremely high levels. Trig? Just remember that sin(90) = 1 and the other special angles, its not rocket science. You'll be fine on the placement exam don't worry.

I was looking over my trig, and college algebra books, and I never learned what will be asked on the placement exam..

I was looking over my trig, and college algebra books, and I never learned what will be asked on the placement exam..

I never took a precalc class, so I can't say I know exactly what covered in it, but sounds like that may be your best solution. What sorts of topics are on the placement exam and were not covered in trig/algebra?

Certain types of functions for college algebra, and I forget for now what wasn't covered in trig, and the stuff isn'tcovered in my pre cal book either

Last edited: