My professor is telling me I can't do research on narcissists as an undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychstudent1011

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not all research is created the same. If she doesn't feel comfortable with the subject matter, then it's going to be a no-go. It is a positive thing that faculty members know their limits for supervision. Axis-II disorders can be a bit dicier to research, so I'm not surprised at the hesitancy…ungrad or grad.

I don't see your post--have you removed it?

I would also be hesitant to supervise an undergraduate doing research on people with full NPD.

One approach you could take is to study narcissism in "normal" populations, viewing it as a dimensional construct and taking an individual differences approach. You are sure to find some variance in narcissism in a community sample, using a measure like the SNAP-2, which has a narcissism scale. Perhaps you could approach it this way, making it clear that you are not looking for those who meet diagnostic threshold for NPD?

Narcissism is a pretty sophisticated concept, especially if you look at it in terms of psychodynamic development. There is healthy narcissism on one end of the spectrum and full-blown psychopathological narcissism on the opposite end. I would want a student to have solid background in personality formation, healthy lifespan development, and the ability to distinguish between derivations of healthy and atypical before one delves into the subject matter of narcissism. And you just don't get that type of background from undergraduate courses.

Plus T4C is completely correct in saying supervising professors should never take on subject matter that they have little expertise in understanding themselves. Look at the psychodynamic literature on narcissism, and you will get an idea of how complex it can be (and why most professors would not touch it with 10ft pole, especially if their narcissistic traits are not so healthy). ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user