My Progression in Pre-Med Track

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rockersoccer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my first year at a top 25 university, and thought I would post here for any suggestions and to see how you view my progression.

First Semester:
English - B
Sociology - B+
General Chemistry I - A
General Chemistry Lab - A-
Anthropology - A
GPA: 3.61

Second Semester:
Organic Chemistry I (my school goes out of sequence) - A
Orgo Lab - A-
Calculus II - A-
Geology - A
Physics freshman seminar - A
Freshman honors chemistry research - A
GPA: 3.91

Cumulative GPA: 3.80, Dean's list both semesters

For next semester I plan to take Animal physiology (standard bio major course for sophomores...got credit for intro bio), Orgo II (then gen chem II in the spring) and lab, freshman research, statistics, and environmental science and policy class for a total of 15 credits.

EC's:
- Academic peer advisor
- Table tennis team leader
- Biology club
- Chemistry club
- Health careers club
- Tutoring middle school students in nearby schools
- Research and a few publications to come

Experience
- 300 hours of shadowing, clinical, and interning
- Medical scribing this summer
- Will go on a trip to Vietnam to aid in heart surgeries

Thanks for your feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

You look like you're on your way to being a competitive applicant at the top schools. If you're next two years are as productive as your freshman year, and you rock the MCAT, you're golden.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Only red flag is B's in English and Sociology...? Those should be your GPA boosters!

Aside from that, everything looks good. If you keep up the pace and demolish the MCAT, you'll be a solid applicant :thumbup:

Only red flag is B's in English and Sociology...? Those should be your GPA boosters!

Aside from that, everything looks good. If you keep up the pace and demolish the MCAT, you'll be a solid applicant :thumbup:
I'm there with OP. I've never once earned anything but a B+ in an English class. Not higher not lower.. Even in high school. Give me a hard science with lab any day.

I'm there with OP. I've never once earned anything but a B+ in an English class. Not higher not lower.. Even in high school. Give me a hard science with lab any day.

Same here... Science classes were my GPA boosters

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

....what?

I will be doing extremely simple tasks like cutting sutures and giving the surgeons tools when needed...I figure I'll actually be more of a hindrance, but it should be good experience nonetheless.

And yes, I messed up in English for sure, but my sociology class was actually extremely difficult. I tried my best though, and that's what matters! :)

I just finished my first year at a top 25 university
aka a 21-25 ranked school haha

Solid start though! Keep it up, you'll be in great shape when it comes time to apply (as long as you get a solid MCAT score)

aka a 21-25 ranked school haha

Solid start though! Keep it up, you'll be in great shape when it comes time to apply (as long as you get a solid MCAT score)

Yeah that's fair haha! Sometimes we are in the 15-20 range though...oh well. Thanks for the input :)