MD "My Qs have all been answered" - did I just kill my residency candidacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Caltechstud

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am nearing the end of my interviews for IM and realized I made a critical mistake. At least on half the interviews, I did not reply with Qs when some of the interviewer prompted me. Usually a panel of 4-5 faculties interview me - and 2-3 of them would answer all my genuine Qs - I didn't force artifical Qs on the remaining interviewers even when they prompted me for Qs. I simplied replied "I think all my Qs have been answered".

Now I am informed that not asking at least one Q for *all* interviewers is a red flag and conveys that I am not interested in this program - which will result in me not being ranked.

Am I now screwed?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm on the neurosurgery trail. When I genuinely don't have questions, I say I've asked the residents a lot and have learned a lot. They've been informative.

100% the interviewers have seemed appreciative.

Reactions: 4 users
Not a big deal, I think you're catastrophizing a bit.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I will usually pull one to two out of my ass and then I'll say that I learned a lot from the residents and have had my questions answered. The look on their faces has mostly seemed like oh good a guy who isn't going to waste my time for sh*ts and gigs.

Agree that I don't think you're screwed at all. I say "I asked X interviewer and they were very thorough with their responses, so I think most of my questions have been answered". Then I'll ask something about their role in the department or what they're working on. Can open the door for some interesting convo and a chance to show you're an actual person and not just Candidate 83.

Reactions: 1 users
Following up, I got the tip off from a resident that one of my interviewers was a Steelers fan. Makes for much more interesting convo to me anyways.

Reactions: 2 users
I am nearing the end of my interviews for IM and realized I made a critical mistake. At least on half the interviews, I did not reply with Qs when some of the interviewer prompted me. Usually a panel of 4-5 faculties interview me - and 2-3 of them would answer all my genuine Qs - I didn't force artifical Qs on the remaining interviewers even when they prompted me for Qs. I simplied replied "I think all my Qs have been answered".

Now I am informed that not asking at least one Q for *all* interviewers is a red flag and conveys that I am not interested in this program - which will result in me not being ranked.

Am I now screwed?

First interview slot of the day? Not so good.
Last interview? To be expected.

Reactions: 1 users
What about interviews that start out with what questions do you have for me?

Reactions: 1 user
What about interviews that start out with what questions do you have for me?

That's the best. Always makes me want to just stand up and turn around so we can both stop wasting each other's time

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed at a pretty darn good school in early 2005. When I got a chance to ask questions, I only had one: "Your state was recently the deciding vote in a rather divisive presidential election. I bet some folks disagreed with their neighbors' opinions. How are people around here doing with one another?" My acceptance letter nearly beat me home. I'm now an alumnus of that school.

Don't over-analyze.

Reactions: 1 user