Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

my questions regard to major and school

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by wsc2879, Dec 27, 2008.

1. wsc2879

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    hi, you guys.

i am bioenginneering major. I think about transferring into nursing, because i want to work a few years after college before going to med school. and I prefer to work in a hospital. but some tell me that nursing major will hurt my chance of getting into a good med school.

by the way, is it true that the more rigerous the major ( like enginneering), the more chance you will have to get into a good med school? and i am in a state college (penn state). will it hurt my chance of getting into top med school in U.S. ?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 236116

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Don't do nursing unless you want to be a nurse for ever.

Major doesn't matter, ugrad doesn't matter. PSU's pretty good.

4. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Actually, the more rigorous the major, the better chance of a lower GPA, which results in a lesser chance of getting into med school.

5. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Nursing is a very time intensive major because of the labs and clinical hours that are required. The science courses that nurses take are not the same as the pre-med science courses so you'll need to figure on a post-bac sometime down the road. Frankly, having looked on as close friends and family members majored in nursing, there is a lot of BS philosophy of nursing stuff that would just drive me crazy if I had to swallow it and spit it back; YMMV.

Yes, you will get a job in the hospital but them you will be answering questions about why you are leaving one career (nursing) for another (medicine) and when and why you decided to change. There is always the fear, then, that you don't reallly know what you want and that you'll leave medicine for something else.

6. fizzle

fizzle New Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Despite what people like to think, your major and undergrad do matter to some extent. I mean, UMich and some other schools openly make it a policy to extend auto-invites to people with high numbers only from certain "prestigious" undergrads. Seeing this, how could you say it doesn't matter?

That said, your own individual performance on the MCAT and grades and ECs are going to matter a hell of a lot more.

7. 45408

45408 aw buddy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Unlike many college majors, nursing is practically a vocational major. Most others - English, art, music, biochemistry, math, etc - don't prepare you for a single job when you graduate. Like Lizzy said, their science courses are usually specific to their major (so you'll have to take physics twice, chemistry twice, etc) and their clinicals are quite time-consuming. There's only one girl in my class of 200 that went to nursing school and went right into med school.

I'd recommend going into nursing only if you plan to be a nurse. And also, like LizzyM said, my wife complained a lot about her upper-level nursing classes just being pretty pointless - community health nursing and such. She didn't feel like she learned much, and a number of her classes could've just been combined.

8. GoingUp

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am in a nursing program right now, and I can tell you from first hand experience that it is VERY HARD to take other classes while in nursing....not because it is hard, but just because of the time issue. The lectures/labs/clinicals...not to mention the 6+ hours of paperwork needed to be done before each clinical. All I'm saying is it is extremely hard to take any pre-med courses while in nursing.

I am contemplating changing my major...I don't know how I would explain changing from nursing to medicine after I am already an RN. Especially when I know that nursing was never really something I wanted as a career. I think it would be easier for me to just explain the change while still in college

9. Kaustikos

Kaustikos Archerize It
    7+ Year Member

So much truth. I cannot tell you how many times I've heard my fiancee complain about the courses she just finished and the bull**** work they make them do. They could have easily shortened the curriculum by a semester. Seems to me that upper-level nursing is grasping at straws to find out what to teach when they could instead try another approach.