My Rank List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whipple

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed at 18 places and ready to rank the programs. Any comment ? Anyone can join this thread. I have ranked this program based on the interview not school prestige

Temple # 1
BU
maryland
Jefferson
Tufts
Albert Einsten
Beth Isreal
Stony Brook
Newark -UMDJN
Emory
Ohio state
Drexel # 12

Thank you all.

whipple

Members don't see this ad.

whipple said:
I interviewed at 18 places and ready to rank the programs. Any comment ? Anyone can join this thread. I have ranked this program based on the interview not school prestige

Temple # 1
BU
maryland
Jefferson
Tufts
Albert Einsten
Beth Isreal
Stony Brook
Newark -UMDJN
Emory
Ohio state
Drexel # 12

Thank you all.

whipple

not sure what you're asking as far as a "comment". Emory is by far and away the best name program and you have have ranked them 10/12 so it appears that you have your own system going on.

i believe that jefferson is going through a transitional period and has an acting chairman. solid rep overall though.

temple used to be known for ct/transplant, and heavy trauma.

maryland is known for trauma as well.

drexel has a history of organizational/financial foibles.

ohio state is also known for transplants.

i don't know much about nyc programs...

seems like a pretty solid list overall. congratulations and good luck.

p.s.- out of curiousity, what were the programs that you interviewed and chose not to rank?

Celiac Plexus said:
not sure what you're asking as far as a "comment". Emory is by far and away the best name program and you have have ranked them 10/12 so it appears that you have your own system going on.

i believe that jefferson is going through a transitional period and has an acting chairman. solid rep overall though.

temple used to be known for ct/transplant, and heavy trauma.

maryland is known for trauma as well.

drexel has a history of organizational/financial foibles.

ohio state is also known for transplants.

i don't know much about nyc programs...

seems like a pretty solid list overall. congratulations and good luck.

p.s.- out of curiousity, what were the programs that you interviewed and chose not to rank?

New brunswick
Down state
UF - Gainesville
UF-jacksonville
wayne states
case western reserves

Emory has only one hospital were the training is excellent - Grady. The rest of the hospital they rotate at are not good.

Whipple

Members don't see this ad :)
this may be a stupid question but for gsurg how many programs must one rank in order to have a pretty good (99%) probability of matching somewhere?

whipple said:

Temple # 1
BU
maryland
Jefferson
Tufts
Albert Einsten
Beth Isreal
Stony Brook
Newark -UMDJN
Emory
Ohio state
Drexel # 12

Thank you all.

whipple

This is an interesting thread. I share a few places that you have ranked and will tentatively rank in the following order...

Jefferson-little trauma (may not be necessarily good), but I felt very comfortable there...with the residents, attendings, and the surrounding area
Temple-great for trauma (recently most # of trauma operative cases in PA), didn't like the area as much as Jefferson (in Center City)
Stony Brook-great for research with A LOT funding, nice city, and close to manhattan

I felt that they were all good programs...can get you where you want to go if you decide on fellowships...maybe except Peds and Transplant. Oncology seemed weak at Temple. I'm putting heavy weight on my gut feelings as long as each program met certain basic criteria such as operative experience, friendliness of program, opportunity for research, etc.

How would you rank the Michigan programs? It would also be helpful if you could provide some reasons for the ranking...thanks!

whipple (and whoever else wants to chime in)--what criteria did u use to decide how to rank? not to be punny, but could you rank those criteria in order of how important each item was/is to you? I'm a little curious, not only what your priorities are in terms of the various factors, but also how you feel those programs you ranked and didn't rank stacked up in relation to those priorities.

thx,
jason

imtiaz said:
this may be a stupid question but for gsurg how many programs must one rank in order to have a pretty good (99%) probability of matching somewhere?

Anywhere from 7-12 depending on your app and the caliber of programs you apply to. This will still only give you about a 95% confidence of matching. It is very hard to give yourself a 99% chance of matching unless you apply to and interview at a humungous number of programs, which can be unbelievably expensive. There are several threads on this very topic throughout this forum site.

Hi Whipple:

So why did you choose not to rank New Brunswick?

This is getting really exciting now. I mean doesn't it feel great to be about finished with interviews :scared: . I personally think I will bust if i hear that imortal question "do you have any more questions" one more time. I am not quite ready to state my ROL to the fine line. I have a heavy heavy fav but 5 places that could easily be 2cnd. I am projecting I will have gone on 13 interviews when this is all over (cancelled 4 this month) and I like every program except one. Man it is kinda like being at a great asian buffet you just dont know what to choose.

jmattwilson said:
This is getting really exciting now. I mean doesn't it feel great to be about finished with interviews :scared: . I personally think I will bust if i hear that imortal question "do you have any more questions" one more time. I am not quite ready to state my ROL to the fine line. I have a heavy heavy fav but 5 places that could easily be 2cnd. I am projecting I will have gone on 13 interviews when this is all over (cancelled 4 this month) and I like every program except one. Man it is kinda like being at a great asian buffet you just dont know what to choose.

So jmatt .. are you sure you don't have any more questions about the rank list? :)

After seeing your rank lists, I am very pleased to see that Stony Brook is up there...

I am a Stony Brook student, and I love the Surgery department here, especially the surgeons I have worked with. I think they are a very solid group, esp. Dr. Ricotta, and Dr. Karpeh.

If it were not for the fact that I need a change of location, I would seriously consider staying.

Good luck to all!!!

2 more interviews to go! Thank God!

Jmatt!!! What's goin diggity. I'm down to my last two and I can't tell you how ready I am to be finished. I'm at Carolinas tomorrow and O. State next week. I think I'm only going to rank about 6 programs as I have a good feeling about where I'll end up. One of the programs offered to fly me back for a second look (you bet your butt I'm going back too). You'll have to let me know where you think you'll end up. I'll have to send you a PM about a really crazy interview experience down in Florida. Take care.

SE

jmattwilson said:

SteadyEddy said:
Jmatt!!! What's goin diggity. I'm down to my last two and I can't tell you how ready I am to be finished. I'm at Carolinas tomorrow and O. State next week. I think I'm only going to rank about 6 programs as I have a good feeling about where I'll end up. One of the programs offered to fly me back for a second look (you bet your butt I'm going back too). You'll have to let me know where you think you'll end up. I'll have to send you a PM about a really crazy interview experience down in Florida. Take care.

SE
Hey Steady,

I'm curious about this crazy Florida interview experience. I interviewed at a couple places there. Care to share??