My Return to SDN after the Vanderbilt Interview!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QuantumMechanic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got back from the Vandy interview (my first!). The interview went so well, and I felt at home. That school is ridiculously awesome, and I really hope to get an acceptance!!!!! The students all seemed so happy and excited about the school. It seems like a great environment and its a top choice for me now.

Not surprisingly, there were no other TN residents or students from any college in TN other than me. I guess the rumor is true that Vandy really likes those Californians and Northerners.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! I am glad it went well. :)
Make sure you post your impressions and the questions in the Interview Feedback section of this website.

that is so awesome. I'm having such a hard time finishing the secondary. I know I need to get my butt in gear and you're post is definitely motivating me.

Members don't see this ad :)
lihtris said:
that is so awesome. I'm having such a hard time finishing the secondary. I know I need to get my butt in gear and you're post is definitely motivating me.

they are rolling and I'm sure several of us that interviewed today are gonna get offers (I could tell that everyone was very high caliber), so I'd recommend getting that finished ASAP

Are there essays on Vandy secondary and how much is the secondary. I'm between Vandy and Case to add to my schools. I've completed 16 other secondaries.

Got my vandy 9/15, wish I had made it a little earlier. Oh well.

omg, i know how you feel. i fell asleep editing my life story last night, haha. i hope that doesn't mean my life story is boring :( but regardless of when i get this thing in, i probs won't interview til oct 16 or so when i have my fall break (i'm already missing 3 fridays for other interviews!)

i'm also glad to hear that vandy was so awesome, i hope they like texans in addition to northerners and californians ;)..

lihtris said:

littlelaura said:
i'm also glad to hear that vandy was so awesome, i hope they like texans in addition to northerners and californians ;)..

there was a texan there today...

Last edited:
quantummechanic said:
Just got back from the Vandy interview (my first!). The interview went so well, and I felt at home. That school is ridiculously awesome, and I really hope to get an acceptance!!!!! The students all seemed so happy and excited about the school. It seems like a great environment and its a top choice for me now.

Not surprisingly, there were no other TN residents or students from any college in TN other than me. I guess the rumor is true that Vandy really likes those Californians and Northerners.
If you don't mind me asking what TN school are you coming from? I'm applying out of UT...I would be thrilled to get into Vandy but I'm still waiting to be invited for a secondary >(.

oh geez! i have my interview there this friday and i'm nervous! how'd you prepare and what kinda questions did you get?? what was the day like? i think i'm really gonna love vandy, and i don't want to screw this one up :scared:

btw, anyone else going to be there on fri?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Happy you had a good time quantum. Mine's on Monday so I'm starting to get nervous.

I was reading through the interview feedback and people were saying that they only had your AMCAS and not the secondary. Is that still true since we had to submit the secondary before scheduling the interview?

shantster said:
Happy you had a good time quantum. Mine's on Monday so I'm starting to get nervous.

I was reading through the interview feedback and people were saying that they only had your AMCAS and not the secondary. Is that still true since we had to submit the secondary before scheduling the interview?
Lol, if this is true could there be better evidence to show that secondary applications are purely for money-making purposes? >)

shantster said:

Yes, that is true according to the pre-interview info they sent me (mine's not until the 5th)... the adcom has the secondary when they make a decision, but the interviewer does not have it when interviewing you. They didn't say why.

Congrats QM... any tough interview questions? Only the one faculty interview?

shantster said:

Everyone seemed to have relaxed interviews so I wouldn't be nervous.

Pemberley said:
Congrats QM... any tough interview questions? Only the one faculty interview?

The interview was really easy, this particular faculty member was really chill. He pretty much focused on research and he liked to talk. I thought it went well.

Congrats on the interview! Good luck with the acceptance!

Dr Durden said:
Vandy has a 2,000 word biography, a 500 word description of a scholarly project, and a 500 word essay on your special skills/experiences that prepared you for medicine. It's $50, but if you get the secondary you've already made the first cut and are assured an interview.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=3966535&postcount=186

Thank you for the info.

What kind of screening do they do for the secondary -- does an actual person read my primary, or is it more of a numerical cutoff? In other words, would it be worth my $30 for the primary with (engineering) 3.35 overall, 3.25 bcpm, 31 (11,11,9vr), extensive/meaningful research and clinical backgrounds? i realize you guys arent on the adcoms and ill never know if i dont apply, but im running low/out of funds and dont want to throw it away if a computer decides that a 3.35 is less than a 3.60 or something.

thanks

Duchess742 said:
oh geez! i have my interview there this friday and i'm nervous! how'd you prepare and what kinda questions did you get?? what was the day like? i think i'm really gonna love vandy, and i don't want to screw this one up :scared:

i know what you mean, duchess. guess i'll see you there on friday, buddy!

juiceman311 said:
Thank you for the info.

What kind of screening do they do for the secondary -- does an actual person read my primary, or is it more of a numerical cutoff? In other words, would it be worth my $30 for the primary with (engineering) 3.35 overall, 3.25 bcpm, 31 (11,11,9vr), extensive/meaningful research and clinical backgrounds? i realize you guys arent on the adcoms and ill never know if i dont apply, but im running low/out of funds and dont want to throw it away if a computer decides that a 3.35 is less than a 3.60 or something.

thanks

like you said, we're not on the adcom, but your stats would be on the low end for Vandy. Its a great school, and I was extremely impressed by the school (along with many of my fellow interviewees, I was not expecting what I saw!!!) so I would say to give it a shot since it is only $30.

Dr Durden said:
Vandy has a 2,000 word biography, a 500 word description of a scholarly project, and a 500 word essay on your special skills/experiences that prepared you for medicine. It's $50, but if you get the secondary you've already made the first cut and are assured an interview.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=3966535&postcount=186

Ahh, so that's why I see so many pre-secondary rejections from Vandy. Do they really like Californians? Sweeet.

Duchess742 said:

don't be too nervous...seriously all the other people who were interviewed seemed to have the same positive experience that I had.

my advice would be to be honest during the interview so that they can give a good evaluation of you.

at the end of my interview, the guy asked me "what would you like for me to highlight to the committee on your application?" I basically told him to have them look at me as a person and at my various life experiences that would bring something else to the table at Vandy.

yobynaes said:
i know what you mean, duchess. guess i'll see you there on friday, buddy!

oh awesome! good luck!

quantummechanic said:
don't be too nervous...seriously all the other people who were interviewed seemed to have the same positive experience that I had.

my advice would be to be honest during the interview so that they can give a good evaluation of you.

at the end of my interview, the guy asked me "what would you like for me to highlight to the committee on your application?" I basically told him to have them look at me as a person and at my various life experiences that would bring something else to the table at Vandy.

ooh, that's a good one. i'll have to think about what i'd say for that. i guess it's good to keep in mind that the interviewer will be an advocate for my application.

i'm still nervous, but i'm really looking forward to going there!

MilkofAmnesia said:
I hope I interview.
Just got my invite today! So thrilled!

Now off to start on that 2,000 word autobiography....wow.

MilkofAmnesia said:
Just got my invite today! So thrilled!

Now off to start on that 2,000 word autobiography....wow.

When were did you get verified. I haven't been rejected, but I was verifed on 7/20 and they sent me an email on 7/28 sayin they had received my stuff. I just wish they'd go ahead and reject me all ready, i'm tired of dickin with em. Come on vandy, crap or get off the pot!!!!

Last edited:
MilkofAmnesia said:
I was verified 7/28 and received the email that they had my AMCAS on 8/3.

Oh, well i guess they are just waitin to reject me, Oh well good luck on your interview! To Vanderbilt I say piss on you!!!!!!, I won't do your secondary now, even if you send it, turds.

Wow I got a letter and thought it would be for an interview, but alas.....no. Well it may be for the better; from what I hear about the female population, I may not be able to concentrate if I were there. That, or karma hit me hard. I guess this is what I get from not going to Vandy.

from what I hear about the female population, I may not be able to concentrate if I were there.
:thumbup: I hear that Playboy always ranks them in the top 5. Every little (smart) southern belle beauty pageant winner seems to end up there.

OMG, i went to the interview expecting an excellent school and found it even better than my expectations. I talked to several of the first year and second year students there, i can tell they are all very enthused about their experience at vandy. The children's hospital is undoubtedly state-of-the-art. The other interviewees are definitely all high caliber. it will be a great bunch to work with for four years. oh, how i hope to get in!!!!!!! :love: :love:
tis my first interview. and for all those waiting for this one, it was really relaxing and enjoyable. no hard questions asked which im grateful.

:thumbup: I hear that Playboy always ranks them in the top 5. Every little (smart) southern belle beauty pageant winner seems to end up there.

A much more important ranking than anything US News could dream up.

Vandygirls merited an A+ here

So who's all interviewing with me on Monday?

So who's all interviewing with me on Monday?

I didnt realize they interviewed this early. I should have asked. I will be on the 15th.
Good luck people

OMG, i went to the interview expecting an excellent school and found it even better than my expectations. I talked to several of the first year and second year students there, i can tell they are all very enthused about their experience at vandy. The children's hospital is undoubtedly state-of-the-art. The other interviewees are definitely all high caliber. it will be a great bunch to work with for four years. oh, how i hope to get in!!!!!!! :love: :love:
tis my first interview. and for all those waiting for this one, it was really relaxing and enjoyable. no hard questions asked which im grateful.

i thought it was really awesome too!! the facilities are amazing, the library seems like a great place to live for the next 2 yrs, and the students (and friday interviewees) were all really cool and nice! plus, apparently you can always get free lunch! they also have really wonderful opportunities for research even if you're not mstp.

also they do a lot of fun social things, and they have good relations between first and second year classes. it seems like a great place, and i just hope they liked me too!!

i thought it was really awesome too!! the facilities are amazing, the library seems like a great place to live for the next 2 yrs, and the students (and friday interviewees) were all really cool and nice! plus, apparently you can always get free lunch! they also have really wonderful opportunities for research even if you're not mstp.

also they do a lot of fun social things, and they have good relations between first and second year classes. it seems like a great place, and i just hope they liked me too!!

yeah our tour guide used that line too!

My interview went very well, although I did get a series of challlenging questions all pertaining to my hispanic heritage, religion and combination of moral and ethical issues as a physician. He was very interested in getting to know my beliefs and points of views, trying to get a feel for me as a person.

Hey Duchess!

I interview at Vandy on Friday as well! I am ready to love it:)

Maybe I'll see you there!

Hey Duchess!

I interview at Vandy on Friday as well! I am ready to love it:)

Maybe I'll see you there!

aww, good luck!! i know it'll be great for you :luck:

How dissapointing. I haven't heard anything one way or the other yet. However, you guys defintely outrank me stat/EC-wise....it doesn't give me much hope >(.

How dissapointing. I haven't heard anything one way or the other yet. However, you guys defintely outrank me stat/EC-wise....it doesn't give me much hope >(.
Don't let SDN fool you into thinking that we represent the general application pool. Don't give up hope. There's still time.

I just got an Vandy invite. My stats are worse than yours, plus i am international student...so definitely keep your head up!