My review of the interview at the AEGD program at Univ. of Rochester please read.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FIXENSMILES01

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to all,

As you all know yesterday I went on my Interview at University of Rochester at Eastman Dental Center. Here is the play by play of the events that took place:

I stayed at the Crown Plaza in Rochester in the heart of the city Coast = w/tax included was $141.00
- The room was great and clean
- The bed was a King size great for me B/C I am a big guy, but very comfortable.
- There is a free shuttle bus from the airport which is only 10 min. away I tipped the guy $10.00 B/C I knew the cab would be double so made his day.

That night I had the pleasure of going to Dinner with my aunt and Uncle who I have not seen since 1996.
it was great. we ate a restaurant called "Edibles" a very nice restaurant with a great wine list and an eclectic menu . I would recommended it .

I had an opportunity before Dinner to walk around the city , It was a tad cold but worth the walk.
Even thought the city is not a large city , I must say it is a beautiful city at that. I have been to plenty of cities in the USA and I would say I like the city of Rochester very much.

I first noticed the cleanliness and second I was elated to notice the Beautiful architecture possessed by the Buildings down town .
Rochester as I noticed and would later find out , has an exuberant amount of culture and class. There are a lot of museums as well as a main Broadway style theater with a lot of history .

One first would be attracted to an immense river that runs right through the city . This I thought added character to the city.

As I made my way to dinner I noticed the simple yet colorful and historic architecture to the residential areas that surround the city. This gave me a sense of contentment as I take great pleasure in things of this nature.

I was pleased to know that aside from the culture of the city that there was a fairly large amount of antiquing to be seen and done as my wife and enjoy this as well.
Also should add that there is wine country not to far away, Both my wife and I live on long Island and are no strangers to the wine country here on the North fork . Although I had no time to see I was pleased that it existed and If excepted would love to indulge in it as a weekend excursion .

After dinner my Aunt , Uncle and I took a ride to see the campus at U of Rochester and i was impressed with the campus and how clean it was and also the architecture was impressive as well , It reminded me of my old undergraduate college in West Virginia. It had a mix of old column colonial style as well as some modern feel to it . It had a very warm and inviting academic feel to it.

I also like the fact that the medical college and the Dental college were combined together.This gave me a sense of belonging as I have grown up in this type of environment here in America .

Over all I was very pleased with the city, College and the environment as a whole. I could see myself living there for two years as well as if given the opportunity staying for a long if not permanent duration. The fact that Long Island and NYC is only a 55 min. plane ride and an 8 hr car ride. So I was pleased with that as well.

THE DAY OF THE INTERVIEW

I had the hotel give me a wake up call at 6:00 am as to get an early start of this monumental day.

I woke up and headed for the gym to do my cardio work out . I tell you this because by working out in the morning before the interview my mind and body were far more relaxed.

I got dressed in my best Blue suite , Because if you do not know there is a science to interview correctly and part of that science deals with what you wear. They say that a blue suite implies that you are an honest person, which you all know I am.

I then went down to the hotel restaurant and had a well balanced breakfast.

I returned to my room and went over what I thought was a very well rehearsed and planned out scenario as to help me remain focused and what was going to be asked as well as my concerns and interests that I was inquisitive about . mostly I relaxed and said my rays and Thanked God for the opportunity and the success I was going to embark on. Coming this far and to have my first interview in my opinion for me , was success in itself.

I took a taxi from the hotel to the University coast = $9.00 + tip 9 ( us New Yorkers are great tippers)

It was a bit chilly with a slight drizzle in the air wen I got there.
I walk into the General Dentistry Building at 625 Elmwood. I was impressed by the amount of patients that were outside and even more impressed with what saw when I entered. The internal environment of the GD building was buzzing with a positive and confident feel of Dentistry and all I have come to love about it. One had a sense of importance when you are looking at it from a care givers eyes. I was pleased to see that the patients as well as the Doctors were made up of a large ethnic diversity. Being that I am from two metropolises that are dominated by ethnic diversity in NYC and Miami.

I proceeded to the General Dentistry Department , paying close attention to my surroundings. Being myself I said hello to every one I came in close proximity , Patients, staffers , doctors and etc.. I passed the waiting area and proceed through the doors and was immediately faced with a rotund um style clinic with a very busy atmosphere.
I paid close attention to the dental units and found them to be well kept and up to date , what am used to in my works as a dental assistant . The people I first encountered were mostly patients and techs and assistants a politely greeted them with a warm smile and a grateful hello and found them all to be courteous, pleasant and most important respondent. I came to the check in desk and announced myself and that I had a 10:45 interview. The secretary kindly told me to wait in the conference room that was directly to the right of the Directors office and in close proximity to the working clinic.

As I made my way to the conference room I stood in the door way with briefcase in hand and to my shock I saw NINETEEN other FTDs . I was not prepared to see so many people interviewing for the same position that I was. But you all know me I was then overcome with a sense of relief as it was very reassuring to see so many people with wonderful ethnic looks and what I would later find out wonderful stories and backgrounds. I proceeded to an open seat at this huge oval conference table and situated myself in my seat. As looked around I saw that there was a well balanced ration of Female doctors to male doctors. It was also nice to see everyone was well dressed and well groomed.

From the moment I sat down , I noticed a very quiet overtone to all who sat at the table, so me being me , I sparked a conversation about the issues that effect us all today as FTDs I was pleased that it opened everyone up and made the tension dissipate. At the time of the interviews there were two interviews going on at all times and some of the over flow of our peers were taking tours of the facilities. Just as we were twenty or so minutes into our conversation , a very attractive and professional yet petite doctor FTD appeared in the doorway , she said with excitement " Oh my God your FIXENSMILES, I smiled and said yes that's me, how are you and nice to meet you, just then the rest of the doctorFTDs said hey your Fixensmiles? and again I said yes that's me . Well to say the least I was very happy to meet so many of my peers that interact with on SDN . It made me so much more relaxed. It also added to our conversation a greater dept , because we talked on a much more personal level. that was the highpoint of my experience to finally put faces to so many name tags that interact with on SDN.

there her so many cultures represented at the conference table. There were Two very distinguished looking doctors from Iran as well as one from Jordan, and Syria, there was a Doctor from panama, A male and female doctor from Pakistan a few from India and a handful of us Latinos. it was a proverbial melting pot. I was very Impressed with the female Doctor from Pakistan. I say this because first she had a very distinguished demeanor , you could tell by the way she looked and the very intelligent way she articulated her conversation with us that she was very well traveled, as I later found out that indeed she was as well as she had a tremendous background in practicing dentistry in multiple counties. To say the least our nerves were calmed by our comradery and interaction.

The time came for me to interview as Doctor Malmstrom Called my name " Dr. Ragone" he said , as I looked him directly in the eyes with a professional smile I said that's me nice to finally meet you . We proceeded to his office for the interview. I sat in a very comfortable chair across from him with a small round wooded table separating us. Although his office was cluttered with a sense of either a very busy atmosphere or redecorating going on. To me it did not make a difference , You knew you were in the presence of a very busy man. So after the caudal introduction Doctor Malstrom look at my file which he held in his lap as he took one look at me and one look at my file he showed a sign of disbelief as I obviously look like a traditional American and My DDS was from the Dominican Republic. He proceeded with acceptance and said why if you are an American did you choose to go abroad. Of course I told him about my Family history and How it led me to become a dentist and how I came to study abroad. I was asked also what my future goals were and I was honest direct and forth coming with my answer. I felt no stress or nervousness as the environment and himself were all relaxing and somewhat familiar to me. We had great dialogue and the interview went on for about a half an hour. That was a little more then the norm. But then again could you imagine being in a closed room with me , I have know problem talking . LOL

As I returned to the conference room I was called to my second interview by Dr. Yunker . Dr Yunker is the second in command of the AEGD program. for what ever reason I was more relaxed with Dr. Yunker we had a mutual background in the state of West Virginia. He was very interested in me as a person and my goals for the program. He had a very relaxed demeanor and an inviting stature. Dr. Yunker was accompanied by a very delightful women whose name escapes me. She too was very relaxed and interested in what I had to say , I should state that she was the person who asked me if had any questions about anything. I asked her a few question and she proved to be very knowledgeable. I was very Impressed by them both.

As was the last person to be interviewed , we were all invited to a lecture given by he residents. The topic of the lecture was on Endodontics and a new hand piece file system being used in practice. I was very impressed with the knowledge of Director Malstrom and his keen sense of research and how to quickly notice the level of competence of scientific studies such as the one completed by an outsource and presented by the residents. I was also very impressed with the facilities.

OVER ALL CONCLUSION :

The interview impressed me: Positively
Stress Level: 2/10 (10 being highest)
How you think you did: VERY WELL

School Impressions
How do you rank this school among ALL other schools: 9/10 (10 being best)
How do you rank this school among other schools to which you've applied: 10/10 (10 being best)
What is your ranking of this schools location: 9/10 (10 being best)
What is your ranking of this area's cultural life: 10/10 (10 being best)

Interview basics
Length of Interview: 45 minutes
Location of Interview: At the Dental School
Number of Interviewers: ( 3 )
The interviews were held: One-on-One
The interviews were: Open File

Over all it was a great experience . If I am excepted to this program I will go to it because for me and my future plans for my career University of Rochester ,has it all. I could see myself, if given the opportunity, making a life up there and continue the Universities long tradition in helping the less fortunate and all the FTDs , two of the most important goals of mine as well.

well let me know what you think , sorry its a long one but you all know me I am never a lose for words.
I hope this gives you an Idea as to the insight of my wonderful experience at the AEGD program at the University of Rochester.

so I give it a big SDN review of :
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: ( out of four)

Members don't see this ad.

[Hi,
Congratulations for your interview!
When do you expect the result? I Hope a pozitive result for you ,because you deserve it.

Thank you very much drabc ,from what I hear it will be Feb. if anyone knows different let us know.

Members don't see this ad :)
It will be a long wait .
Do you have other application meanwhile?
Did you applied for Florida certificate ? (I remember that you said that you are Florida resident too)

It will be a long wait .
Do you have other application meanwhile?
Did you applied for Florida certificate ? (I remember that you said that you are Florida resident too)

Nova only i will be down there nov and dec so i will stop by and see whats up

Bill,i Have Faith In You...i Am Always Proud Of You..
I Cant Talk To You In Sdn,,cause I Have To Focus On My December 11 Exam...
Take Care,,bill,,,i Am Waiting For Your Good News..
Love,
Rain

Nova is difficult to go inside ,but Gainseville certificate accept 2people each year only with part1 of NDBE and 12 people with both parts.
Why don`t you try it too?

thanks I will look into it tomarrow my best friend is falculty at U of F prostho I ll talk to him tonight, as far as Nova goes Im hoping that my Mom can pull a string or two because Nova is affiliated with her hospital Miami childrens and she is a heavy hitter there in pediatric cardiology. so thanks and i will get back with you on your recomendation.

thanks I will look into it tomarrow my best friend is falculty at U of F prostho I ll talk to him tonight, as far as Nova goes Im hoping that my Mom can pull a string or two because Nova is affiliated with her hospital Miami childrens and she is a heavy hitter there in pediatric cardiology. so thanks and i will get back with you on your recomendation.

1november is the deadline . Good luck!

HEY DRABC,I think the reason I did not choose U of F AEGD was because it only offers a 1 year program, and when it came to comparison it did not offer a full package like U of Rochester for my career goals. Please give me your imput on this. Thank you-Bill

HEY DRABC,I think the reason I did not choose U of F AEGD was because it only offers a 1 year program, and when it came to comparison it did not offer a full package like U of Rochester for my career goals. Please give me your imput on this. Thank you-Bill

I speak about certificate program (2years,and you should have part1 and part2) and DDSprogram(4years ,but they accept only with part 1)

HEY THERE MY FRIEND,
I am studying for part 2 now , and plan to take it in Dec. I will still research my options there. thanks again for your help-Bill

Members don't see this ad :)
hi bill, nice description of ur experience.
will call u soon, kinda bsy rt now.
as far as nb2 goes...just one advice

do only decks and released papers...
repeat as many times as possible
try not to cram the ques ( what we do for nb1)
its important to " read between the lines"

later buddy
mkot

hi bill
thanks for sharing ur experience with all of us. ur posts have always been so informative and encouraging. wish u all the best.

Hi, everybody.
Bill, congratulations with your interview.
Yes, we have to wait untill February for result.
Good luck.

Hey
Bill
You will surely get good news....and hope all of us will have a good guidance as always once you are into the groove... so take care and gooood luck
cheers

hope u get accepted in rochester:) ,will be praying for you.

Thank you all for your king words and especially your prayers. That means so much to me and it is because of this that I vow to forever help our community regardless of my status or career. You are all the best because I know what we all go through each and everyday , stay positive and always remeber I am here for anyone who needs help or just wants to talk.

your friend
Bill

Bill, when will you find out your result? Are you participating in the MATCH?

I wish you the best of luck for the future. This is a great program, better than any DDS 2 year program for sure, and you will learn a lot of new techniques, lots of free lunches and dinners..lol...so make sure you join a gym.

Take care and best of luck

I wish you the best of luck for the future. This is a great program, better than any DDS 2 year program for sure, and you will learn a lot of new techniques, lots of free lunches and dinners..lol...so make sure you join a gym.

Take care and best of luck
Hey Lucus, I can't thank you enough it was your replies and your posts that gave me great confidence to get through I owe you a lot of thanks , if you ever need anything let me know Im there for ya.

your friend ,
Bill
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

hey fixensmiles,
i read your article.... Rochester sounds great!(you should hav been a writer!!)
so did u get in?
im a FTD from Bombay, India & am in touch with Marilyn Foy. i have just completed my internship in India & am in the process of applying for GPR & AEGD programs in the US.
i need a lotta help with the application and am quite clueless.
could you help me out?

Hi bill, just a couple of quick questions, if you don't mind. How much is tuition generally for AEGD programs, what about the stipends, and upon finishing an AEGD program what do you become eligible for, licensure? Any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks :)

Dear Dr. Ragone
Hello
I could find a lot of information out of your reoprt. I wish you have a great time in the university of Rochester.
Mrs Foy sent the applicatin packet for me but I'm not sure about some issues. Here are 4 questions about the Advanced Education in General Dentistry program if you dont mind.I'd be grateful if you could help me know about them:
1.The name of University of Rochester is not cited in the list of accredited dental schools in the united states as I see in the ADA website.As you know most of state boards and postgraduate programs need a DDS/MDM degree from accredited dental schools to apply for.Dont you worry about the degree they grant after this 2 year program? what they will grant to the graduates, DDS?
2.Will the graduates of this 2 year program be eligible to receive Dental Licensure of other states or its just suitble for the New York state Dental Licensure?
3.Do I have to present NBDE scores to apply for the program or I can take the exams during this 2 year period and present the scores when I want to apply for the licensures?
4.Did you send your DDS degree and transcripts to ECE for or you sent them directly to the university of Rochester admission office?
I'm Looking forward to hearing from you .
Bests.
Mikel

Last edited: