Doc Henry

blowin' in the wind
10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
My friend got a loan from them with no problems. I looked into it but they seemed like a bunch of shizters to me, and didn't want to give them any of my money. They have investors who profit from your interest, which in and of itself isn't the biggest deal, but what bothered me is the way they wouldn't fess up to it when I called. They just lied and lied and lied.

EDIT: I would stick with sallie mae (or nellie mae, never remember which it is) because as I remember it My Rich Uncle is BARELY a student loan. It doesn't even go through the school. Oh, and the origination fee is ridiculous!!

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2004
Where I hang my hat.
Status
Attending Physician
Check the financial aid forum. This one rings a bell with me from a few years ago, and I seem to recall the popular vote was not a positive one.

Doc Henry

blowin' in the wind
10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
What would be better is if you have an actual rich uncle who will just pay for your ****. Or a sugar momma/daddy.
IDK, family members always find a way to hang crap like that over your head forever

OP
G

Gpan

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
thanks for the tips. Oh and I think you meant Fannie Mae, and I don't think they deal directly with student loan.

Doc Henry

blowin' in the wind
10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
thanks for the tips. Oh and I think you meant Fannie Mae, and I don't think they deal directly with student loan.
No problem. And I double checked, I did mean Nellie Mae, and in my experience they do deal directly with the school for student loans.

Thantis

Insert Custom User Title
10+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Also check out Total Higher Education (T.H.E.) for loans. Haven't gone wrong with them thus far for my graduate loans.

Kateb4

10+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2006
Chicagoland
Status
Attending Physician
No problem. And I double checked, I did mean Nellie Mae, and in my experience they do deal directly with the school for student loans.
Sallie Mae does student loans, Fannie Mae is for mortgages. Never heard of Nellie Mae, but I believe it!

Thantis

Insert Custom User Title
10+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2008
Status
Medical Student
THE is no more.
Well toot'n'tarnations....seems you were right Bob. That is a pity though because they were the one I saw with the best benefits and customer service was very nice. Bloody recession.

theserbatron

put mo' chamomile on it
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 2, 2007
Lone Star
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Sallie Mae does student loans, Fannie Mae is for mortgages. Never heard of Nellie Mae, but I believe it!
Nellie Mae is a sister of Sallie Mae, you can do your grad plus loans through them. Medloans (Dollar Bank) is also being serviced by Sallie Mae now.