My Ridiculous Stats -- Mature, honest feedback would be appreciated.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhatToDo1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all -

Many of you might laugh from reading my stats, but I'm really curious to know if I should even bothering taking the MCAT or if I should start considering a different career. When I first started my undergrad, I really messed up in general Bio 1,2 and Chem 1.

Embrace yourself...

Chem 1: Initially got a D, then retook and got an A. Bio 1 (I'm really embarrassed): Initially got a W, then a F, then finally an A. Finally. Bio 2: Initially got a F, then finally an A.

After those three classes, I knew I had no choice but to get straight A's/B's. So here are the rest of my stats: Chem 2: A+; Orgo 1 & 2: B+, A; Physics 1 & 2: A+, A+; Microbio: B; Anat. & Physio.: A+; Biochem: A-. Knowing that the only way schools will give me a chance was if i excelled in the upper level science classes, is what pushed me to study harder and to not quit.

I DID shadow doctors in-between (MD and DO) and worked part time as a receptionist at a Doctors office. I have some volunteer experience as well. I also started a club and remained President for 2 years.

Now that I look back, I can't believe I did so bad in the basic science classes.

Suggestions? Advice? Recommendations? Anything.

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know, AACOMAS is very gracious with retakes and calculating that into your sGPA. Rock the MCAT and submit a well rounded app and you should be fine. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Go for it friend. You've proved you can handle the material and overcome adversity. Give the MCAT your best and apply DO. You'd probably not have good MD numbers, but the DO grade forgiveness is great for you.
And how do you get an A+ in college? I've never seen that...

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming these are the only science classes you took, your sGPA will be very high actually and I wouldn't doubt your ability for a second with that many A's in the sciences. Do well on the MCAT (27+) and you will be a doctor. AMCAS, however, does not use grade replacement and will average in your F's, and that will anchor down your GPA. AACOMAS will be good to you and I'm confident that you'll get in somewhere! Good luck!

My CC gave me 5 A+'s but AACOMAS and AMCAS recognized them as A's. They still show on your application as A+'s though.

Last edited:
Do it. Personally, I think the fact that you can just jump from F's to A's like a champ says volumes about your work ethic. Way to pick yourself up.

Reactions: 1 users
OP what are your final GPAs (AMCAS and AACOMAS)? Obviously, your AACOMAS sGPA will be great, because of grade replacement, but if your AMCAS one is still high (3.5+) and you do well on the MCAT (30+), you should apply broadly to less competitive MD and to DO schools.

If you do well on the MCATs you'll be fine whichever way you end up going. For now, calculate out your GPAs for both apps and get an idea of where you stand.

As said, we need overall and science GPA to weigh your options.

I would still apply to both DO and MD (your state schools and OOS friendly schools with lower than average stats) though just to see what happens.

Hey all -

Many of you might laugh from reading my stats, but I'm really curious to know if I should even bothering taking the MCAT or if I should start considering a different career. When I first started my undergrad, I really messed up in general Bio 1,2 and Chem 1.

Embrace yourself...

Chem 1: Initially got a D, then retook and got an A. Bio 1 (I'm really embarrassed): Initially got a W, then a F, then finally an A. Finally. Bio 2: Initially got a F, then finally an A.

After those three classes, I knew I had no choice but to get straight A's/B's. So here are the rest of my stats: Chem 2: A+; Orgo 1 & 2: B+, A; Physics 1 & 2: A+, A+; Microbio: B; Anat. & Physio.: A+; Biochem: A-. Knowing that the only way schools will give me a chance was if i excelled in the upper level science classes, is what pushed me to study harder and to not quit.

I DID shadow doctors in-between (MD and DO) and worked part time as a receptionist at a Doctors office. I have some volunteer experience as well. I also started a club and remained President for 2 years.

Now that I look back, I can't believe I did so bad in the basic science classes.

Nothing to laugh about, you look in great shape. The only piece your missing is the MCAT.

you would be competitive for MDs if your overall GPA is >3.3. That turn-around is amazing and very few adcoms will deny the fact that you have the ability to succeed.

You're fine. While DO schools will only count the higher grades, MD schools will avg them all. However, you've maintained what looks like a straight A avg since your original failings, and I suspect you have very compeitive GPA for MD schools.

Maybe the ivies and Stanford will sneer at you for being all-too human, but I supect a lot of success in the future. If you could post your currect sGPA and cGPA, we can better advise you.

Do it. Personally, I think the fact that you can just jump from F's to A's like a champ says volumes about your work ethic. Way to pick yourself up.

Thank you! No, you my friend are a champ for associating me with the word 'champ'. I appreciate the positivity.

You're fine. While DO schools will only count the higher grades, MD schools will avg them all. However, you've maintained what looks like a straight A avg since your original failings, and I suspect you have very compeitive GPA for MD schools.

Maybe the ivies and Stanford will sneer at you for being all-too human, but I supect a lot of success in the future. If you could post your currect sGPA and cGPA, we can better advise you.

I hope everyone who replied to this thread knows how much I appreciate your advice/input!! I was floored to log back on to this site and see such positivity. I was expecting the worst, haha.

As for my overall GPA and science GPA, I don't have that figured out yet. I'll be graduating this semester and haven't even checked out the website that many of you have mentioned in your comments. My overall GPA (I'm a Psychology major) is ~3.54? Roughly around there. I'm assuming my science GPA should be around ~3.54 or maybe even a little lower (due to how I did in Gen. Bio 1 & 2, Chem. 1).

I had no idea that the AMCAS does not do 'grade replacement'. I think that will bring down my GPA. Frustrating, because I've worked extremely hard in my upper level classes, but my basic science classes will mess me up.

you would be competitive for MDs if your overall GPA is >3.3. That turn-around is amazing and very few adcoms will deny the fact that you have the ability to succeed.

Thank you so much. That turn-around took a lot of, dedication and discipline. I can honestly tell you that it was not easy, but knowing it was my only choice, is what made me want to succeed.

(Side note for some humor: What also pushed me to succeed was because of my boyfriend of 5 years, who left me for his ex-girlfriend... Maybe I should write about that in my personal statement? Ha. Totally learned to channel my emotions in a positive way.)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you calculate them as of right now? If you can for both AAMCAS and AACOMAS, that will help us direct you towards where you can be most successful.

The avg GPA for an MD acceptee is 3.6, with an MCAT of 32. For DO programs, it's about 3.3/26, with a good deal of variability.

I hope everyone who replied to this thread knows how much I appreciate your advice/input!! I was floored to log back on to this site and see such positivity. I was expecting the worst, haha.

As for my overall GPA and science GPA, I don't have that figured out yet. I'll be graduating this semester and haven't even checked out the website that many of you have mentioned in your comments. My overall GPA (I'm a Psychology major) is ~3.54? Roughly around there. I'm assuming my science GPA should be around ~3.54 or maybe even a little lower (due to how I did in Gen. Bio 1 & 2, Chem. 1).

I had no idea that the AMCAS does not do 'grade replacement'. I think that will bring down my GPA. Frustrating, because I've worked extremely hard in my upper level classes, but my basic science classes will mess me up.

Get an AAMCAS and AACOMAS GPA calculator, input your grades appropriately, and let us know your GPA's for each.

Regardless, I think you will be fine. Excellent upward trend, way to bounce back.

I think you'd have an excellent shot at DO, and even some MD schools if you do well on the MCAT. Schools really do pay attention to grade trends. I received at least one W or F for nearly every term my first 2 years of college, and was placed on academic probation. However, I spent an extra year in school and finished my last 9 quarters with straight A's, which included all of the prerequisites other than gen bio. Despite the fact that my overall AMCAS GPA is below the bottom 10th percentile for almost allopathic schools (<3.3), I still received 2 interview invites (and hoping for more!). I also got accepted to CCOM and have interviews with Western-NW and DMU.

Take the MCAT seriously and kick ass.

Wonderful story! Always love to see this kind of stuff, major kudos.

I myself just made an A in ochem after making a D the first time.

I think you'd have an excellent shot at DO, and even some MD schools if you do well on the MCAT. Schools really do pay attention to grade trends. I received at least one W or F for nearly every term my first 2 years of college, and was placed on academic probation. However, I spent an extra year in school and finished my last 9 quarters with straight A's, which included all of the prerequisites other than gen bio. Despite the fact that my overall AMCAS GPA is below the bottom 10th percentile for almost allopathic schools (<3.3), I still received 2 interview invites (and hoping for more!). I also got accepted to CCOM and have interviews with Western-NW and DMU.

Take the MCAT seriously and kick ass.

Once again, I thank everyone for their input and for those who asked about my Science and Cumulative GPA, please read this post!

I took the time to calculate my GPA (which I was actually astounded by) to get these numbers:

Science GPA: 3.745
Cumulative GPA: 3.517

Update: ^The above are my GPA according to AACOMAS.

Although, before the comments/concerns - just know, it is my first time calculating my GPA, so there might have been a mistake or two.

Once again, I thank everyone for their input and for those who asked about my Science and Cumulative GPA, please read this post!

I took the time to calculate my GPA (which I was actually astounded by) to get these numbers:

Although, before the comments/concerns - just know, it is my first time calculating my GPA, so there might have been a mistake or two.

Yeah, you're a quality MAT score away from an acceptance. Good luck to you.

With numbers like these you should have never been worried in the first place. Do well on the MCAT and hello med school.

Study your ass off and kick butt on the MCAT. Your GPA is great. Just be prepared to discuss this in interviews. Medical schools will frequently ask about classes that were re-taken, but as long as you have a decent and prepared answer you will be fine. A lot of people screw up early in their college career. Looks like you recovered and did well after that. Way to pull yourself up!

My guess is that your AMCAS sGPA will be ~3.1-3.2, so MD may be a bit out of reach. You should still calculate it to be sure, but even so your GPAs for DO are excellent. Focus on the MCAT right now and you should be fine.

With numbers like these you should have never been worried in the first place. Do well on the MCAT and hello med school.

I was a little skeptical because I'm competing against applicants who have managed straight A's and B's WITHOUT having to repeat any classes! Also against students who have a lot more extracirrulicar activities than me. Pretty intimidating, but thank you. Now, time to zone out the world - and focus on the MCAT. Thank you.

Go for it friend. You've proved you can handle the material and overcome adversity. Give the MCAT your best and apply DO. You'd probably not have good MD numbers, but the DO grade forgiveness is great for you.
And how do you get an A+ in college? I've never seen that...

It is usually a 97+. Definitely possible for electives that are known to be easy As

My guess is that your AMCAS sGPA will be ~3.1-3.2, so MD may be a bit out of reach. You should still calculate it to be sure, but even so your GPAs for DO are excellent. Focus on the MCAT right now and you should be fine.

to be honest with all those Fs and Ws even with that sGPA for a MD, the OP can apply to a few just to see what happens. I would definitely recommend applying to DOs however

What's the grading on that? Is an A-plus worth more or the same as 4.0?

Not at my school. It's just a difference of having a "+" after it or not. Doesn't make a difference whatsoever. I've gotten an A+ in just one science class and it still counted as the same as an A.
At some schools, an A+ counts for more. I think Cornell does that. Out of all the kids I know who have gone to Cornell said it was very rare to see students get A+s unless it was some really easy elective.

I was a little skeptical because I'm competing against applicants who have managed straight A's and B's WITHOUT having to repeat any classes! Also against students who have a lot more extracirrulicar activities than me. Pretty intimidating, but thank you. Now, time to zone out the world - and focus on the MCAT. Thank you.

To be clear, out of reach doesn't equal don't apply, its more like don't expect something to come out of it and have a backup. I'm all for people applying to as many places as they want if they have the money, because the process is a crapshoot.

Hey all -

Embrace yourself...

You'll do fine when applying to DO school. Grade replacement is a sexy thing. Do well on the MCAT and get some solid ECs and you'll probably have multiple acceptances. MD side is more iffy, you might be throwing money away, but who knows, maybe someone would take you.