My sad story! Need help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xmf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied for an AP/subspecialty combined certificate this year and I took the AP exam in June. Yesterday when I called APB, I was suddenly told by the APB staff that I need a full medical license by Aug 10th to sit for my subspecialty exam, which will be on Sep 10<SUP>th</SUP>, without any warning. I called APB Subspecialty office fall, 2008 about the qualifications for sitting for the subspecialty exam and the lady told me the license was not an issue at all. Currently, I have a temporary full license, and I will receive my permanent one by Aug 21. However, APB won’t give me the ten extra days. Failure to take the board exam will be a disaster to my personal life. I have studied hard for it and I am ready. In addition, I need this certificate to find a job. The next exam will be two years from now. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Usually they let you sit for the exam but don't release the result until you provide them with a license. The license has to be PERMANENT, FULL and UNRESTRICTED. Therefore, resident/fellow training permits or restrcited or temporary licenses are not ok.

I am surprised that they won't let you sit for the exam...Call them again to verify..

Sounds to me like you are meeting the qualifications. Either you are not communicating it properly to them or you are leaving something out here. Look in the bulletin at abpath.org and find the point where it says you need the full license to have your results released, not just to take it, and have it in front of you when you call them.

Members don't see this ad :)
let me guess, you called up and talked to one of a dozen random secretaries in Tampa who have no clue.:smack:

I applied for an AP/subspecialty combined certificate this year and I took the AP exam in June. Yesterday when I called APB, I was suddenly told by the APB staff that I need a full medical license by Aug 10th to sit for my subspecialty exam, which will be on Sep 10<SUP>th</SUP>, without any warning. I called APB Subspecialty office fall, 2008 about the qualifications for sitting for the subspecialty exam and the lady told me the license was not an issue at all. Currently, I have a temporary full license, and I will receive my permanent one by Aug 21. However, APB won’t give me the ten extra days. Failure to take the board exam will be a disaster to my personal life. I have studied hard for it and I am ready. In addition, I need this certificate to find a job. The next exam will be two years from now. What should I do?

i think this is BS. unless things have changed in the last 5 years (ok, it is possible) you need the full license just to receive the result. you can take the test without one. i was in a similar position and ended up getting a license from a random state in, like, 1 week. easy. my cali license finally arrived some time later.