My school just gave us the option to take Step 1 scored at the end of M2 or take it at the end of M3 as P/F. Help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stilly20

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So pretty much the title. Im an M2 and my school is going to give us the option to have an 8 week dedicated at the end of M2 and then take our Step 1, which is how it has been traditionally done as step is required to start M3. Due to COVID and other factors, they're going to allow students to take Step 1 after M3, which is how many schools around the country have been doing it for awhile now. The only difference is that we would not be given a dedicated period during M3 but here lies the biggest problem: taking it after M3 would mean I would receive a P/F score due to the scoring change whereas taking it M2 (the traditional route) would give me a numerical score. I'm gunning for a competitive specialty so I fear that I may hinder my chances by not getting that 245+ compared to taking the P/F and not having to worry about this. Any PD on this forum could give some insight on how to approach this?

Members don't see this ad.

Take it before P/F 100%. Unless you’re doing poorly on practice tests.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did they officially announce when it will become p/f? Last time I checked, it just said no earlier than jan 2022. Depending on the timeline, unless your school knows something the rest of us don’t (or I just missed an announcement), couldn’t people who elect to take it in 3rd year wind up with a scored test but no dedicated?

Edit: they announced Nov 2 it’s on track to be p/f jan 2022.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Did they officially announce when it will become p/f? Last time I checked, it just said no earlier than jan 2022. Depending on the timeline, unless your school knows something the rest of us don’t (or I just missed an announcement), couldn’t people who elect to take it in 3rd year wind up with a scored test but no dedicated?

That’s the thing, it’s still definitely a possibility that happens

Reactions: 1 user
That’s the thing, it’s still definitely a possibility that happens

Yeah I mean there are pluses and minuses to taking it scored or unscored, but it would really suck to decide a p/f step would be okay for you and then find out you're taking a scored step with no dedicated. My school makes us take it third year, in Jan or Feb of 2022 for me. So it may or not be pass fail, but since that's when we take it anyway, we get a dedicated. In OP's situation, I'd take that when they have a dedicated period. I'm only an M2 as well though.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah I mean there are pluses and minuses to taking it scored or unscored, but it would really suck to decide a p/f step would be okay for you and then find out you're taking a scored step with no dedicated. My school makes us take it third year, in Jan or Feb of 2022 for me. So it may or not be pass fail, but since that's when we take it anyway, we get a dedicated. In OP's situation, I'd take that when they have a dedicated period. I'm only an M2 as well though.

yeah I get you. OP and I are both interested in competitive specialties so I worry that our home programs will look at us like taking the easy way out if we choose to delay. unless im bombing practice tests ill just take it scored

Do you want to re-learn which chromosome is mutated in CF, which antibx are 30s inhibitors, which pharyngeal arch becomes what?

Take it as soon after 2nd year as possible then dump all that extraneous info.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
On the topic - is there a time period when we'll know for certain if itll be p/f for 2022?

I'm a M1 at a low-tier MD school but kill standardized exams and kinda hoping theres a chance itll be scored for our class.

Do you want to re-learn which chromosome is mutated in CF, which antibx are 30s inhibitors, which pharyngeal arch becomes what?

Take it as soon after 2nd year as possible then dump all that extraneous info.
I heard you get pimped on info like that during rotations tho right?

I heard you get pimped on info like that during rotations tho right?

Doubt it, unless you have an insanely anal attending.

Given pt has DM and has cellulitis, are there any particular organisms you want to cover and if so, which antibx do you want to use? (no one cares which ribosomal subunit they inhibit)

Reactions: 2 users
I agree with others on this. Unless you know you are going to score poorly b/c you are a really bad standard test taker AND you have some degree of confidence that the P/F change will occur before you are required to take it AND your school has a decent reputation, then I don't see how it would be beneficial to take it later and it could add to 3rd-year burnout to keep studying for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
On the topic - is there a time period when we'll know for certain if itll be p/f for 2022?

I'm a M1 at a low-tier MD school but kill standardized exams and kinda hoping theres a chance itll be scored for our class.

They released a statement a few days ago saying it is on track to be p/f starting Jan 2022.

They released a statement a few days ago saying it is on track to be p/f starting Jan 2022.

I saw this and shed a tear. The end of an era, and the beginning of a nightmare

Last edited:
How does your strategy change in light of the military match? Or does it?

USUHS students are contractually and legally guaranteed at least a military PGY-1 year, so I don't really have to worry about not matching. And since we rotate for 2.5 years through our programs, they know who we are. Also, we take step 1 and step 2 really close together after a year of clerkship. Basically the whole thing sets up to benefit us with a p/f step 1, unless you're like going for neurosurgery since there are only 1-2 spots.

Does this mean it's safe to start suspending old cards?

I mean, it's up to you. I've said it a few times here that nothing would change for me if I was in this position. A great step 1 performance sets you up for a great step 2 performance. I have heard this time and time again.

I mean, it's up to you. I've said it a few times here that nothing would change for me if I was in this position. A great step 1 performance sets you up for a great step 2 performance. I have heard this time and time again.
Right i agree, I only ask because I'm staring down 1200 cards today because I slacked. Thanks

Any idea how residency applications are going to work if half of students (or more) are applying with a p/f on step 1 and the rest are applying with a three digit score?

Will PDs just take both as a "pass" and focus on step 2CK or Will the three digit be a benefit?

A great step 1 performance sets you up for a great step 2 performance. I have heard this time and time again.
This is so true. I’m in dedicated for Step 2 right now, praising the man Jesus that I put in the time a year ago for Step 1.

• Haha
If you take Step 1 P/F, you 100% need a CK score. So just choose which test you'd rather have scored. Step 1 has a much more defined set of study materials, but people also study way harder for it.

If it was me I'd probably try and take a big dedicated block for CK, do all 3000+ UWorld, NBMEs, etc leading right up to the test. These exams reward study effort so, from a game theory standpoint, you should try hard where others are trying less.

Reactions: 3 users
If you take Step 1 P/F, you 100% need a CK score. So just choose which test you'd rather have scored. Step 1 has a much more defined set of study materials, but people also study way harder for it.

If it was me I'd probably try and take a big dedicated block for CK, do all 3000+ UWorld, NBMEs, etc leading right up to the test. These exams reward study effort so, from a game theory standpoint, you should try hard where others are trying less.

I recently went to a match panel with our 4th years and they mentioned that a few schools told them straight up that they downloaded once and then filled their interview quota and if you didn't submit with a step II score you basically never had a chance to even be considered. So, it looks like at this point in the game it is prudent to have your step 2 score in even if you have a numerical step 1 score.

I recently went to a match panel with our 4th years and they mentioned that a few schools told them straight up that they downloaded once and then filled their interview quota and if you didn't submit with a step II score you basically never had a chance to even be considered. So, it looks like at this point in the game it is prudent to have your step 2 score in even if you have a numerical step 1 score.
Interesting I just applied with no CK score until January and got nearly all the interviews I wanted. Must be very specialty dependent, I know EM has already moved to prioritizing CK

No offense to the MS4s on here, but take their advice with a grain of salt. We had a similar panel, and were told that “programs told us” whatever advice. Then when I actually talked to multiple PDs in these fields, they were like wtf who would tell you that?

Edit: to be clear, I mean take the advice of the MS4s on your school’s panel with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
No offense to the MS4s on here, but take their advice with a grain of salt. We had a similar panel, and were told that “programs told us” whatever advice. Then when I actually talked to multiple PDs in these fields, they were like wtf who would tell you that?
Then again PDs are out here ranking by likelihood of matching instead of true preference, so ignore everything anyone says and do your own research!

Yeah that sounds like a terrible idea on the programs' part. Since with last cycle and this cycle many people won't have Step 2 CK scores since they have scored Step 1. Programs would just be missing out on a large chunk of applicants.

Yeah that sounds like a terrible idea on the programs' part. Since with last cycle and this cycle many people won't have Step 2 CK scores since they have scored Step 1. Programs would just be missing out on a large chunk of applicants.

Exactly. That makes no sense.

Edit: to be clear, I mean take the advice of the MS4s on your school’s panel with a grain of salt.

Yeah, I always do, though they have no reason to mislead us and they matched to some of the top programs in the country. Our program's assistant PD basically said as much too.

Interesting I just applied with no CK score until January and got nearly all the interviews I wanted. Must be very specialty dependent, I know EM has already moved to prioritizing CK

This was anesthesia. Although it is anecdotal, one of the matched MS4's said she only had a couple of interviews but after she got her step 2 score back she manually updated all of the programs and ended up with like 16. I do know that her application was not very competitive and her step 2 score boosted it significantly. So, I do imagine that it is specialty-dependent and probably program-dependent as well. My impression was that the programs he was referring to were the top programs in the country, which makes sense because they always get more quality applicants than they can accept.