My school won't let me go through pre-med committee, big deal?

Doctor_Strange

2+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Hey Guys,

My school says that you need to take 75% of your pre-med courses at our institution in order to get a committee letter, but I do not meet this requirement. I have taken at least 3 pre-med courses not at my home institution. I am awaiting the committee to evaluate my circumstances, and they may still evaluate me, but I'm not optimistic.

Is this a big thing, or is it not? I feel like it will not hurt me, but the committee letter would obviously have been beneficial.

I will still get 2 science LORs, and even 2 non-science LORs, as well as a letter from the pre-med advisor who told me she will write me a LOR if the committee will decline to review my application. I have a ~3.3 science and cumulative, and still need to take the MCAT. The advisor said it won't be a dealbreaker, but I am just looking for other opinions/experiences!

Thanks!

mathnerd88

5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Hey Guys,

My school says that you need to take 75% of your pre-med courses at our institution in order to get a committee letter, but I do not meet this requirement. I have taken at least 3 pre-med courses not at my home institution. I am awaiting the committee to evaluate my circumstances, and they may still evaluate me, but I'm not optimistic.

Is this a big thing, or is it not? I feel like it will not hurt me, but the committee letter would obviously have been beneficial.

I will still get 2 science LORs, and even 2 non-science LORs, as well as a letter from the pre-med advisor who told me she will write me a LOR if the committee will decline to review my application. I have a ~3.3 science and cumulative, and still need to take the MCAT. The advisor said it won't be a dealbreaker, but I am just looking for other opinions/experiences!

Thanks!
It won't really hurt you if you can explain it, but I'm more concerned in your late application this cycle with semi low stats and that MCAT you haven't taken yet.

NotASerialKiller

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2015
Status
Medical Student
It won't really hurt you if you can explain it, but I'm more concerned in your late application this cycle with semi low stats and that MCAT you haven't taken yet.
I'm guessing he was asking for next year considering he hasn't written yet.

Whenever you don't send a packet you have to explain why on your secondaries. Not fitting a rule like this sounds like a really good explanation to me. I doubt that it would hold you back, unless someone knowledgeable posts that it's not viewed as favourably as a packet.

edit: The reason that you took them elsewhere could have more of an impact. Did you switch schools? Take them online? AP credit?
edit: I didn't even realize I clicked on the DO forum... all of this was in reference to MD, hopefully it still applies?

Reactions: Doctor_Strange
OP
Doctor_Strange

Doctor_Strange

2+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I took some courses away for financial reasons.