My second mcat went down, what do I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HansSpemann

OMG, Stem Cells
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I got a 30 the first time I took the MCAT (8, 11, 11), but I decided to retake it in January. I honestly did not feel confident about my score on the test day, and I came SO close to canceling my score, but, unfortuantely I decided to have it scored and I got a 27 (8, 10, 9) :-(

Should I retake it a third time, or should I hope that schools will just take my higher score

Thank you all so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Nobody here can say for sure...

What were your practice scores? What led you to expect improvement?

I was scoring 33-39 on the practice tests, avg around 36, and I got a 33 yesterday...initially bummed, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I got a score within my practice range, and I am fortunate to have gotten it after reading some of the stories on these threads...

Members don't see this ad :)
Although this is not good, going from a 30 which is a great score depending on what you think - 27 which is also good but you went down. So first maybe before you retake the MCAT where do you want to go?

If you are lookin to go to top ten schools then you might need to retake.
But if you check around for info on the schools you want to go to maybe apply I doubt they would make it a very negative thing. Good luck. Answer where you want to go first.

i would retake if only u can do better than 33 for sure, that means ave 34 on ur practice tests otherwise apply this year and see what they say