My situation is kind of weird. Can someone give an advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newbie24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok. I am former CC student who just transferred to a state university this semester. Back at the CC, I completed almost all of my prereqs (gen chem I,II, gen bio I,II, gen physics I,II, calc I,II, organic chem I,II, and few electives). Now I am currently working on a degree in bio but it will take me around 2 years to do so. I was planning on transferring to a pharmacy school since I believe a lot of them only require completion of the prerequisites and just do 4 more years instead of finishing the degree and then applying for pharmacy.

The weird thing is that if I do decide to do this, then I will only be taking a bunch of humanities and social science courses at the 4 year uni because those are the courses I am missing for most of pharmacy school I am planning on applying. Doesn't this look bad? I went to CC, did almost all my prereqs and came to 4 year to do humanities?
There are actually some upper level requirements like microbio, biochem, and anatomy physiology that I have yet to take so I am planning on taking those here.

Now I believe that you apply 1 year prior to the year of which you matriculate so if I want to start pharm school in 2013, I have to star preparing for my application as well as taking the PCAT this summer?

also my gpa at cc was a 4.0
right now at the university I am doing not so well(currently taking intro biochem &mole bio as well as cellbio) :laugh: but I hope to get above a 3.0

sorry I am not very familiar with this

Members don't see this ad.

Ok. I am former CC student who just transferred to a state university this semester. Back at the CC, I completed almost all of my prereqs (gen chem I,II, gen bio I,II, gen physics I,II, calc I,II, organic chem I,II, and few electives). Now I am currently working on a degree in bio but it will take me around 2 years to do so. I was planning on transferring to a pharmacy school since I believe a lot of them only require completion of the prerequisites and just do 4 more years instead of finishing the degree and then applying for pharmacy.

The weird thing is that if I do decide to do this, then I will only be taking a bunch of humanities and social science courses at the 4 year uni because those are the courses I am missing for most of pharmacy school I am planning on applying. Doesn't this look bad? I went to CC, did almost all my prereqs and came to 4 year to do humanities?
There are actually some upper level requirements like microbio, biochem, and anatomy physiology that I have yet to take so I am planning on taking those here.

Now I believe that you apply 1 year prior to the year of which you matriculate so if I want to start pharm school in 2013, I have to star preparing for my application as well as taking the PCAT this summer?

right now at the university I am doing not so well(currently taking intro biochem &mole bio as well as cellbio) :laugh: but I hope to get above a 3.0

It doesn't look that bad when you've taken the majority of prereqs at a CC. I know a lot of people did the same and they got into great PharmD programs. Continue to do well at your university by maintaining good GPAs and join clubs/ do extracurricular activities to make your resume better.

If you want to apply to Fall 2013, then you have to apply this summer. It's ok to apply with a few prereqs missing, as long as you indicate that you have a few prereqs as planned/in progress. Take the PCAT this summer and apply too. Good luck!

I would just call the school's admissions offices and ask them what their take is on it. You are correct that you generally apply one year prior to the year that you matriculate, so yes, take the PCAT this summer. I recommend taking the first one, which I believe is in June or July. That way if you want to retake it you have time to do so. Start thinking now about who you want for your letters of recommendation and give them the courtesy of asking at least several weeks in advance of when you need them if they would write one for you.

Sorry I couldn't give you more information regarding your classes at the CC versus the university. Some other people might have some more insight. The schools themselves will really be the best bet for that information though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would just call the school's admissions offices and ask them what their take is on it. You are correct that you generally apply one year prior to the year that you matriculate, so yes, take the PCAT this summer. I recommend taking the first one, which I believe is in June or July. That way if you want to retake it you have time to do so. Start thinking now about who you want for your letters of recommendation and give them the courtesy of asking at least several weeks in advance of when you need them if they would write one for you.

Sorry I couldn't give you more information regarding your classes at the CC versus the university. Some other people might have some more insight. The schools themselves will really be the best bet for that information though.

is one month studying enough before taking the PCAT?

Shoot I can probably get like 2 letter of rec from my profs back at the CC.

Any other things I should start working on? I have 0 extra curricular activities but I did work as a pharm tech but quit(long story).

is one month studying enough before taking the PCAT?

Shoot I can probably get like 2 letter of rec from my profs back at the CC.

Any other things I should start working on? I have 0 extra curricular activities but I did work as a pharm tech but quit(long story).

One month is enough if you have a strong science background.

Definitely get LORs from your science professors so try to communicate with them as much as possible.

Does your university has any science clubs or a pharmacy club? Better explore those to show your involvement in school. Why did you quit your job as a cpht? Try to renew your license and work again. If you can't do that, then volunteer at your local pharmacy.

One month is enough if you have a strong science background.

Definitely get LORs from your science professors so try to communicate with them as much as possible.

Does your university has any science clubs or a pharmacy club? Better explore those to show your involvement in school. Why did you quit your job as a cpht? Try to renew your license and work again. If you can't do that, then volunteer at your local pharmacy.

I had to move away from home to the new university and I hated the customers there lmao. I worked for CVS and they had some special training program so I didn't have to have any license.

I had to move away from home to the new university and I hated the customers there lmao. I worked for CVS and they had some special training program so I didn't have to have any license.

Oh. Then I suggest you to take the PTCB exam and get the license. The exam is fairly easy and getting the experience as a cpht could help you.