My situation ... will a GED hurt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fedekz

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm currently a senior in high school but through a program with my HS, I have attended a CC full time since fall 2008. At the CC, taking 15 credits/quarter (4 quarters) I have a GPA of 3.86 with a 4.0 one semester. I was the supplemental instructor of psychology for a quarter, etc. so I like to consider myself pretty well off compared to some of my peers. Here is the thing. Last summer I temporarily moved from Washington State to Louisiana in order to take an emergency medical technician - basic (EMT-B) course ... WA state law wouldn't allow me to enroll in a WA class at age 17. So I moved down there, passed the course, and became certified. After the course, I moved back up to WA to finish up HS. Shortly after moving up, I was accepted into a paramedic program in Texas which is something I really wanted to do, so I talked with my HS, and coordinated leaving after my first semester to attend the class in early January.

So two months pass, and I have everything worked out with my principal, and counselor .... then comes today. I go in and just say "hi" to make sure everything is in order, as tomorrow is my last day. Everything falls to pieces, they tell me my plan isn't going to work, and I will not be able to get a HS diploma from their school. My plan was to take online courses at the CC I have been going to, and get HS credit for the classes (which is what I've been doing), but sense I'll be out of state, the school won't let me do that anymore. So the options were either get a GED in order to take this paramedic program, or skip the paramedic program that my heart has been set on, and get the diploma, never to be a paramedic.

Fall 2010 I will be attending a top university, and have a full ride.

So given my circumstances, is it acceptable to get a GED? I have a college GPA for 3.86 with 60 credits (quarter credits), and my HS GPA is right around there. I just really really want to do this paramedic program, and am willing to do anything to get there, I just want to make sure this GED wouldn't screw up my chances in medical school later down the road.

Members don't see this ad.

Not a problem. I was homeschooled and didn't even attend high school (got something equivalent to a diploma) and it wasn't a problem. On the other hand, taking the paramedic course is great. And congratulations on your full ride!

Members don't see this ad :)
My HS diploma is GED and it hasn't hurt me in the slightest. I got lots of interviews.

Does the AMCAS even ask about high school? I don't think it would ever come up, actually.

Yes, you have to indicate your high school. I just said New York State GED Testing Office.

I got my GED. No problems so far. The only thing that it is sometimes an issue with is when applying to universities. There are two ways around this though; the first being to take the SAT and to get a good score. The second (the one I chose) is to go to a cc and get a transfer degree.

The GED was designed for people who joined the military and could not finish high school. They made it so these vets could go to college.

There have been many successful people who got their GED; Bill Cosby for one, who is now a PhD, and more than three senators.

EDIT: Another interesting thing is that they have done multiple studies that show that about 1 out of 4 high school graduates would fail the GED exams.

On a side note: I am a little curious as to what kind of school let you teach a psychology class without any kind of a degree, let alone a high school diploma or GED.

On a side note: I am a little curious as to what kind of school let you teach a psychology class without any kind of a degree, let alone a high school diploma or GED.

Supplemental Instructor = tutor, that's just the title.