My Situation...Wondering about my Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

curious2007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All...Thanks ahead for taking the time to read this and for your opinions! I am a 30 year old male candidate (consider myself "other asian" race-wise) who is considering medical school. I have run into some substantial road blocks in my life...despite all that, becoming a M.D. is something I have always yearned for. I am finally giving an attempt...hopefully with successful
results!

"Stats":

1. Undergraduate: Brown University (2001, A.B. Biology)
2. Graduate: University at Buffalo School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences (2007, Pharm.D.)

Undergraduate GPAs (Including 2 sciences classes at SUNY Stony Brook):

Cumulative GPA: 3.12
Science:3.0

MCAT: June 17, 2010

Research: Emergency Department Clinical Research Assistant at Rhode Island Hospital-studied correlation between respiratory problems and smoking habits

Extracurricular Activities:

Numerous Activities including being the Chairman/Student Coordinator of University of Buffalo Poison prevention Program, counseling positions etc.

I learned probably one of the greatest lessons during my undergraduate years..never let anyone tell you you can't do something. Due to being a naive 21 year old and listening to poor advise from my pre-medical dean, I applied to dental school when he told me I would NEVER get into medical school. The result of this decision at first looks disastrous, I was dismissed after one semester for academics, receiving a F in Gross Anatomy as well as other deplorable grades. However,this was actually one of the best things that ever happened to me...I realized I would have been miserable as a dentist...I got into pharmacy school 4 months after my dismissal.

My pharmacy career, though short, has been fun, but everyday I feel there is more I can do. Thus, the medical school attempt.

Thanks all the opinions/advice

Members don't see this ad.

I think a big issue you'll have is that your story begs for the "career-hopper" label. Dental school then Pharmacy now after two years suddenly medical school. I'm not questioning your intent but more how it looks on paper and the questions that'll probably arise in an adcom's head. Coupled with a low GPA and checkered academic past (dental school) that's a lot to overcome.

I'm not saying med school isn't in your future, but be prepared for the long view. It may take several years (2-4) of GPA repair (all A's) and EC building to bring your application to the point where an adcom's doubts about your academic fortitude and commitment to medicine are sufficiently assuaged. And your's might a case where an SMP would be necessary.

So keep chugging along, getting A's in upper level sci, building a strong EC case for your commitment to and exploration of medicine, and steel your mental reserves for the potential reapp. Consider all options (DO, MD, Caribbean, PA/NP, SMP etc) carefully. I've seen enough on SDN that med school is usually in the cards for the persistent, methodical, and reasonably intelligent.

Good luck. Keep us posted on your progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.