My situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpenserKuntz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm 19 and about to start my sophomore year of college. As of right now, I only have a GPA 3.0, BUT, I'm really getting into gear. I'm taking an anatomy class over the summer, and it's going great. I'm really starting to like biology, and I'm REALLY starting to get excited about starting the meat of my pre-med work (I love chem and bio).

As for my upper division work, here are the schools I have in mind:

1)UC Davis
2)UC San Diego
3)Fresno State
4)San Diego State

I don't think I have the GPA to get into UCLA, but it would be nice if I did.

Realistically, I'll probably end up finishing my B.S. with a GPA of 3.5. What do YOU think my chances of getting into a med school right out of college are?

P.S. I plan on doing lots of MCAT prep.

Members don't see this ad.

theres another thread designated for exactly this type- its the thread thats named official what are my chances thread. but to fancy your question, cali schools are notoriously difficult to get into. 3.5 might be feasible, but difficult. JUst get a 30+ (preferbaly even higher) and you should be competitive. Theres a whole lot more then just MCAT and GPA. This includes your EC's, LOR's, preparedness of your application, etc. etc. the list goes on

braluk said:
theres another thread designated for exactly this type- its the thread thats named official what are my chances thread. but to fancy your question, cali schools are notoriously difficult to get into. 3.5 might be feasible, but difficult. JUst get a 30+ (preferbaly even higher) and you should be competitive. Theres a whole lot more then just MCAT and GPA. This includes your EC's, LOR's, preparedness of your application, etc. etc. the list goes on

The more I read this forum, the more I see that. I'll take a look at that thread you mentioned, thanks!

EDIT: I'm also curious about how much the UnderGrad school counts. Would it make a difference if I went to Fresno State, as opposed to UC Davis? Would one school be looked more highly upon than the other? Fresno has a dedicated pre-med program with pre-med advisors; Davis has the same, but it has the advantage of being a UC, rather than a state school.