My situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

none

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did kind of an odd thing in high school, I did two of my undergrad years, even a little upper division coursework, at both a local state and community college in my spare time. The only prereq I satisfied at the community college was ochem, just because it fit my schedule. I got 4.0's at both places and didn't retake any of the classes. I've been at UCSD for a year now and got a decent GPA, 3.74, and a 30R MCAT. I'm applying to med schools now and my AMCAS shows over 70 semester units completed in "high school." Contrary to what the pre-med advisor here is saying, I really don't want to do grad work that won't lead to a terminal degree, if I don't have to, nor do I want a second bachelor's. I'm not that young (20, 21 in June) as I was in kindergarten for two years. Will med schools find this situation intriguing, or disturbing, do you think? The rest of my app is kind of standard, two quarters of research and some very intensive volunteering at a San Diego VA Hospital ER (with hopefully a good letter of rec!)

Members don't see this ad.

A comment: 20-21 not that young? What would you call those in their late twenties, in their thirties, forties, and a few in their fifties who apply and are admitted to medical schools? On artificial life support? 19-22 is the age range of the largest group of medical school applicants!

Do what you want about applying to medical school. If you are accepted, great; if not, at least you will have the sastifaction of knowing you did it your way. After all, many ill people are poorly served by their physicians and are better off diagnosing and treating themselves. The high number of physician errors reported is scary. Why should advisors be any different? Self-assurance is an excellent quality, but only up to the point where it becomes self-defeating.

May he road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back.

hehe...I didn't mean in reference to the rest of the world! I suppose I should put more things in context. I really was comparing myself to other applicants' ages, in general. I'm right there within a standard deviation or two. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it would hurt to email the schools you're interested in directly. The ones I've contacted about admission issues have been pretty candid with their reply. Use a Yahoo or Hotmail address if you're concerned about them knowing who you are.

no and I'm only there in the middle of the night, so probably not...