My Soph scheduale....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StraightShooter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically guys, am I overloading?
I volunteer 6 hours a week, and shadow here and there.

Fall:
-Ochem 1
-Calc 2
-Physics 1 + lab
-Bio 1 and lab

Winter:
Ochem 2 and lab
-Physics 2 + lab
Bio 2 + lab
Humanities Course(req for school)

Spring:
Ochem 3 and lab
Physics 3 and lab
Bio 3 and lab
Psych course

Summer: STUDY FOR MCAT!

Members don't see this ad.

This seems like a bit much, ochem is usually the hardest class for most premeds. Coupled with physics, calc, and bio be ready to have no life. Is there a possibility you could take classes over the summer, for example physics? It might be better to take your time then cramming all these things down your throat to study for the mcat.

Fall:
-Ochem 1
-Calc 2
-Physics 1 + lab
-Bio 1 and lab

Winter:
Ochem 2 and lab
-Physics 2 + lab
Bio 2 + lab

Spring:
Ochem 3 and lab
Physics 3 and lab
Bio 3 and lab
Psych course

It seems a bit heavy. That's how the 3rd year schedule is at my undergrad for all premeds and we seem to work through it; although it was the most class intensive year of undergrad.

If you go into the year with realistic expectations and good time management you should be fine. Don't forget to take some time for yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
No... this schedule is very doable. I would consider adding another b/s class.

This schedule seems a bit heavy, but is in no way impossible with good time management skills and a little effort. That's basically how my second year is going as well, but I'd caution you taking 3 labs at once -- that really does sap your time.

it's doable but not well balanced. diversify and get a liberal arts education. some premed reqs can wait. you'll be a better educated person as a result.

Hardest, most ridiculous schedule I've ever seen. You're overloading and will not be able to keep up with at least 1 of these classes. Keep in mind that Orgo and Calc II are the most failed college courses in the country. I highly suggest you spread these courses out, intro science classes tend to be the most demanding because they are weed out classes. I wouldn't recommend taking 4 weed out classes to my worst enemy.

Fall:
-Ochem 1
-Calc 2
-Physics 1 + lab
-Bio 1 and lab

Winter:
Ochem 2 and lab
-Physics 2 + lab
Bio 2 + lab

Spring:
Ochem 3 and lab
Physics 3 and lab
Bio 3 and lab
Psych course

Fall:
-Ochem 1
-Calc 2
-Physics 1 + lab
-Bio 1 and lab

Winter:
Ochem 2 and lab
-Physics 2 + lab
Bio 2 + lab

Spring:
Ochem 3 and lab
Physics 3 and lab
Bio 3 and lab
Psych course

Looks easy. Shouldn't be a problem

3 labs at once is going to suck, ESPECIALLY if you have different wetlabs and drylabs coupled with mandatory open lab requirements/hours... (different schools vary on how they set it up and their lab requirements). but most likely to keep your head above water coordinating all that, you'll be crazed, probably not much fun to be around, nor would you have any fun yourself!

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe the schedule would be manageable if you dropped physics.

Its manageable, but I think you should change/rearrange your first quarter. Your goal should be to get the highest grades possible, so odds are that you will have a better shot at getting all As by not taking 4 BCPM classes together.

This is certainly a heavy schedule considering that each course includes a lab portion. (Not sure about Calculus 2)

Is it doable? Yes. Be prepared to bring your A-game every single day. Will you have an easy time? No.

Unless you are hard-pressed by other situations outside of your control (financial aid, family troubles, etc...), I would not recommend this. I'd suggest dropping Physics and taking an easy elective in its place.

My opinion is probably not 'conventional,' but when I first started attending university it was 'normal' to take five classes, but many students took six or seven. Therefore, I chose to alternate between five and six classes every semester. Typically, I have taken four to six science courses within each semester and have never felt 'overwhelmed.'

I am really shocked that previous posters think four introductory science/mathematics classes is over-loading. I suppose it comes down to what you're used to doing. My first semester of freshman year I took: Organic Chemistry I, Physics I (calculus-based), Calculus II, Cell Biology, and Classics (Medical Terminology). I did complete quite a few AP courses, but that first semester felt like an expensive review of grade ten. Interesting.

Respect your limits, if you're not used to four heavier courses then don't start out that way. Set yourself up for success and chose courses that complement your current skill set. However, if you have experience with that level of course-work it's really not that stressful. Not to say that it's not demanding of your attention or doesn't require work, but time-management makes all the difference.

Fall:
-Ochem 1
-Calc 2
-Physics 1 + lab
-Bio 1 and lab

Winter:
Ochem 2 and lab
-Physics 2 + lab
Bio 2 + lab

Spring:
Ochem 3 and lab
Physics 3 and lab
Bio 3 and lab
Psych course

I took gen chem, physics, and bio together and was fine. Do not take calc on top of this, though. Why would you need to? Take it senior year. Just do an easy course as your fourth. Or no fourth course. Three lab classes will keep you plenty busy.

I'm sorry to bump this thread but I've been looking for advice via search and stumbled upon it.

OP if you're still reading this one girl in my class tried a schedule just like yours and she went completely AWOL, disappeared for awhile, dropped everything except for one class and every time I see her now she looks like she's either ready to kill someone or has been in the bathroom crying. I tried to ask if she was okay one time and she nearly bit my head off, and I know that's the stress talking. Now she's going to redo all the classes she dropped over the summer and it's going to be about 9 grand.

Don't let this be you, I would suggest you tone down your schedule and put in some humanities as well to keep yourself balanced. Good luck!

I need some advice as well:

Fall 2012-16 Hours
Chemistry 1 and Lab
Biology 1 and Lab
Calculus 1
General Computer Science(gen ed)
Chemistry seminar

Spring 2013-16 hours
Chemistry 2 and Lab
Biology 2 and Lab
Calculus 2
Chemistry seminar
AA History

Summer 2013-4 hours
Organic 1 and Lab

Fall 2013-17 hours
Organic 2 and Lab
Physics 1 and Lab
A&P 1 and Lab
Intermediate Inorganic Chemistry
Chemistry seminar

I'm trying to finish my prereqs expeditiously so I can take my MCAT and apply before the implementation of the new MCAT.

I need some advice as well:

Fall 2012-16 Hours
Chemistry 1 and Lab
Biology 1 and Lab
Calculus 1
General Computer Science(gen ed)
Chemistry seminar

Spring 2013-16 hours
Chemistry 2 and Lab
Biology 2 and Lab
Calculus 2
Chemistry seminar
AA History

Summer 2013-4 hours
Organic 1 and Lab

Fall 2013-17 hours
Organic 2 and Lab
Physics 1 and Lab
A&P 1 and Lab
Intermediate Inorganic Chemistry
Chemistry seminar

I'm trying to finish my prereqs expeditiously so I can take my MCAT and apply before the implementation of the new MCAT.

My schedule this year was exactly the same except for different general education classes, I also worked 25 hours a week, and volunteered 1 hour 5 times a week. It was defiantly doable! On the other hand I would not recommend taking Organic over the summer because it may be to much to cram in a short time unless that's all you're doing.

Are you post-bac or something? Why would you even try doubling up on physics, bio and chem if you aren't? You have three more years to spread them out so you can maintain a good GPA..

Actually, I think I might apply to a BS/MD program and, if so, my schedule would look like this:

Fall 2012-12hr
CHEM 1/Lab
BIO1/LAB
CALC1

Spring 2013-8hr
CHEM2/Lab
BIO2/Lab

Summer 2013-4hr
ORG1/Lab

Fall 2013-8hr
ORG2/Lab
Microbiology