DO My Statd

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FirstLady

Reaction score
Hello everyone :)

My stats are cGPA 3.2 (upward trend) and no MCAT yet. I am RN with 8 years of experience in ICU. So, I don't know if that counts for anything (probably not).
I am almost embarrassed to report my stats. I more than likely require a post baccalaureate program to gain any consideration. But I am finding that post baccalaureate are more competitive than anticipated. Could you guys tell me what are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

What kind of post baccalaureate programs are you looking for? While I am unsure about the pre-requisite coursework required to be a RN, I imagine there must be a decent amount of overlap so perhaps you wouldn't be best fit for a career changer program.

If you could tell us your goals, I think it would help us give more specific advice. Are you okay with going to a DO school? What kind of career are you looking for?

If your GPA is your only concern about your application, I tend to recommend to people to consider doing a DIY post baccalaureate - i.e. taking undergraduate coursework not in an official program. This way it would improve your GPA without having to go through the hassle of doing an formal program. While not all are like this, but there is a fair amount of these SMP/post baccalaureate programs which target vulnerable premeds who are feeling lost; many of these premeds could find success without these programs with a little bit of direction. As I stated, not all programs are like this but it is important to do a lot of research of your own before committing your time and money since it is not a remedy for every applicant.

Good luck!

What kind of post baccalaureate programs are you looking for? While I am unsure about the pre-requisite coursework required to be a RN, I imagine there must be a decent amount of overlap so perhaps you wouldn't be best fit for a career changer program.

If you could tell us your goals, I think it would help us give more specific advice. Are you okay with going to a DO school? What kind of career are you looking for?

If your GPA is your only concern about your application, I tend to recommend to people to consider doing a DIY post baccalaureate - i.e. taking undergraduate coursework not in an official program. This way it would improve your GPA without having to go through the hassle of doing an formal program. While not all are like this, but there is a fair amount of these SMP/post baccalaureate programs which target vulnerable premeds who are feeling lost; many of these premeds could find success without these programs with a little bit of direction. As I stated, not all programs are like this but it is important to do a lot of research of your own before committing your time and money since it is not a remedy for every applicant.

Good luck!
SMP/ post bacc are very different programs. You need to figure out what exactly you need course wise. I’m not sure that there is much, if any, overlap in the nursing requirements and pre med requirements. You should probably start by gathering all of your transcripts and then make an appointment with a premed advisor at your local college/university. Talk about what courses on your transcripts will fulfill requirements for your med school applications and what courses you will have to take. And figure out the best way to get through those courses with the highest GPA possible(3.8+). Perhaps a couple of semesters (30 hours) of post bacc courses with a very high GPA would be enough to convince ADCOMS that you are up to the rigors of med school. But of course there are no guarantees.
Also spend some time learning about SMPS. These are formal programs where basically you are competing with actual med students . If you do exceptionally well some schools actually have linkage with a med school where you are guaranteed an interview. But understand, they are high stakes-high rewards. If you don’t do well you pretty much are closing the door to medical school.
Also spend time researching DO med schools. The DO path to becoming a doctor is probably your most viable path.
Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user