My state requires one year of post-graduate medical training for permanent license- chances of getting it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

funnybanana

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I completed a transitional year internship and matched into a specialty I thought I'd like but currently not enjoying. Long story short, considering transferring to a different specialty, which would start PGY-2 of 2022. This means there would be a year lapse between finishing this PGY-1 year and starting PGY-2. I was wondering if it would be possible to work at an urgent care or free health clinic during that year. I was looking into our permanent license application, and it says one year minimum of post-graduate training is required. I would meet that minimum with 2 internship years, but what would the chances of me actually being granted a permanent license be? I'm US-grad, did well in school and boards (not sure if any of that matters) Any insight appreciated, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Why don't you just continue in your program through PGY-2 and interview while continuing your training? That way in case you don't match you're not totally out of a job? I have to say that based on your post history, it seems like you're all over the place and have considered a bunch of specialties that have nothing to do with each other. At some point you just have to pick a field and stick with it, because eventually prospective residencies are going to wonder if you're going to have the same change of heart 6 months into your new specialty.

To actually answer your question, I think it's pretty state-specific. But if you meet the minimum requirements and don't have any red flags then I'm not sure why your request would be denied. A separate question might be where your malpractice insurance would come from since you won't be board certified or eligible in anything, but maybe urgent care centers are willing to pay for that.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all, I completed a transitional year internship and matched into a specialty I thought I'd like but currently not enjoying. Long story short, considering transferring to a different specialty, which would start PGY-2 of 2022. This means there would be a year lapse between finishing this PGY-1 year and starting PGY-2. I was wondering if it would be possible to work at an urgent care or free health clinic during that year. I was looking into our permanent license application, and it says one year minimum of post-graduate training is required. I would meet that minimum with 2 internship years, but what would the chances of me actually being granted a permanent license be? I'm US-grad, did well in school and boards (not sure if any of that matters) Any insight appreciated, thanks.
You did the requisite year of post-graduate training. Why would you not be granted a license? Tons of people have done this, including myself.

You did the requisite year of post-graduate training. Why would you not be granted a license? Tons of people have done this, including myself.
So I could practice as an independent provider with a permanent license, correct?

So I could practice as an independent provider with a permanent license, correct?
I think it's very unlikely you'll be able to get an urgent care job with just 1 year of residency. Free health clinic might let you work there, but you'll have to have malpractice insurance, which they probably won't pay for, and the cost will probably be prohibitive to you, if you could even find a company willing to provide insurance to you. Most malpractice and jobs want people to be BC/BE.

In other words, getting the license shouldn't be difficult, but I wouldn't count on being able to actually practice medicine for that year. Maybe you could find an urgent care in some remote location that would hire you. I'm not sure. I was in the same situation as you where I had a year between internship and residency, and I got the unrestricted license, but I didn't try to do anything clinical during the gap year.

Last edited:
I think it's very unlikely you'll be able to get an urgent care job with just 1 year of residency. Free health clinic might let you work there, but you'll have to have malpractice insurance, which they probably won't pay for, and the cost will probably be prohibitive to you, if you could even find a company willing to provide insurance to you. Most malpractice and jobs want people to be BC/BE.

In other words, getting the license shouldn't be difficult, but I wouldn't count on being able to actually practice medicine for that year. Maybe you could find an urgent care in some remote location that would hire you. I'm not sure. I was in the same situation as you where I had a year between internship and residency, and I got the unrestricted license, but I didn't try to do anything clinical during the gap year.
Most jobs absolutely want BC/BE. It's generally not a problem getting malpractice though.

I got multiple urgent care offers with my unrestricted license with just an internship under my belt as a flight surgeon. It largely comes down to location. May not be the best long term strategy, but there are definitely some jobs out there.