My state school requires a letter from my schools "pre-med committee."

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted74029

This sucks, my pre-med advisory committee at my school sucks and now I find out that might state school makes it mandatory for me to submit a letter from them. My advisor has to be the worst in the country and has never even spoken over three sentences to me since i've been in college. He is also on the committee. My only saving grace may be that I have a class with him this semester and that they actually interview you before they write the letter. It says that I can submit 3 additional letter which I will definitely do but I'd rather that those be the only letters that I'm required to submit.

Members don't see this ad.

Well at least at my school the pre-med committee is comprised of not just the pre-med advisor, but also professors of some of the pre-req classes you took. So if you've kept up good grades and relationships with your professors then you should be fine. At least if the advisor has only said 3 sentences to you he'll probably be neutral and hopefully go along with the other members.

Well at least at my school the pre-med committee is comprised of not just the pre-med advisor, but also professors of some of the pre-req classes you took. So if you've kept up good grades and relationships with your professors then you should be fine. At least if the advisor has only said 3 sentences to you he'll probably be neutral and hopefully go along with the other members.

Well thats the problem, I'm a low GPA/high MCAT applicant so I'm trying to make the rest of my application as appealing as possible. So being forced to get LOR from people who may or may not write me a good letter is rather unsettling.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're not the only one and your state school isn't the only school. If you have a pre-medical committee you should use it for every school you apply to. This is standard. Of course there are anomalies and you don't have to look further than this forum to find some. However, in general if an undergrad institution has a pre-medical committee and applicant is expected to use it. Lots of people have been in the same situation and have gained acceptances. Also, don't try to hide that your school has a committee.

One day my new advisor showed us the stats of ppl with a committe letter from my school that got into med school. About 90% of the ppl who got a letter got in somewhere. I know a lot of ppl who didnt go through the committee, but i know of ppl who the committee helped them a lot. I personally going to go through the committee. is just a pain in the butt cuz for my school to get a letter u need a load of crap (evaluation forms, other LORs, personal statement, print amcas, other paper work, etc) put after talking to some ppl in the adcom of other schools, i think is worth it.

One day my new advisor showed us the stats of ppl with a committe letter from my school that got into med school. About 90% of the ppl who got a letter got in somewhere. I know a lot of ppl who didnt go through the committee, but i know of ppl who the committee helped them a lot. I personally going to go through the committee. is just a pain in the butt cuz for my school to get a letter u need a load of crap (evaluation forms, other LORs, personal statement, print amcas, other paper work, etc) put after talking to some ppl in the adcom of other schools, i think is worth it.

Sounds similar to my school. You also have to be interviewed to determine if they will write you one...