My Stats, feel like the odds are against me.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopeagainstodds

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
icon1.gif

Undergraduate GPA = 3.2
Graduate Student(MSc) = 3.87
MCAT = 12,11,9 (BS/Phys /VR)

Out of 11 secondary applications sent in, 7 schools have rejected me(no interviews whatsoever). Still haven't heard back from USC(Keck), Tufts, Tulane, Drexel. Completed my applications near each school's deadline.

I'm I on thin ice?

do I have any chance of any interview? anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

It's a bit late in the game, I think.

You might want to re-evaluate your LORs and personal statement for the next round of applications. Or maybe you're applying to schools that are too competitive.

Its very simple you applied very late in the game. By the time you applied many of these schools probally gave out atleast 75 percent of their interview, if not more. Also you applied to eleven schools, thats not so many. This process is a numbers game. You gotta apply early and often.

Best,
Dave

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm.. Sounds like something is not so positive, and it doesn't sound like it's your GPA or MCAT score. You are most likely deficient in strong faculty appraisals, clinical experience, community service, or quality of writing with respect to your personal statement. Of course, it could be a combination of some of those, too. Have an objective outsider take a look at as much of your application as you have access to and see what they think.

icon1.gif

Undergraduate GPA = 3.2

Out of 11 secondary applications sent in, 7 schools have rejected me(no interviews whatsoever). Still haven't heard back from USC(Keck), Tufts, Tulane, Drexel. Completed my applications near each school's deadline.

I'm I on thin ice?

Yeah. I had similar crap and I interviewed in places and was accepted places.

icon1.gif

Undergraduate GPA = 3.2

I'm I on thin ice?

I think it's more the lateness than anything else. You have very respectable stats.

There are countless things that factor in besides the numbers in med school admissions, so it's impossible to predict how you will fare with the remainder or what the problem was. Could be you applied late, but not necessarilly. Also 11 schools isn't really very many when you have a lowish ug GPA. I would apply more broadly if you need to go down this road again.

If I were you, I'd take a year to enroll as a non-degree student at your local university, take some upper-div science classes, and try to bring your UG GPA from a 3.2 to a 3.4-3.5. You should be able to do this Part-Time while holding down a job.

Then, I'd reapply in June of the following year.

If I were you, I'd take a year to enroll as a non-degree student at your local university, take some upper-div science classes, and try to bring your UG GPA from a 3.2 to a 3.4-3.5. You should be able to do this Part-Time while holding down a job.

Then, I'd reapply in June of the following year.
I imagine thats what the masters was for

To the OP - you were just too late. Perhaps you forgot how incredibly neurotic, stressed, and insecure most premeds are but I felt like I had killed my chances for this application year by getting my AMCAS in and confirmed during the last week of JUNE. Unfortunately for the uninitiated, the schools do have an end deadline for accepting applications but 99 times out of 99 they are full of accepted and qualified waitlisted students by then. So, I would say, chill out and try again next year.

You can keep your stats or try and improve but coming from someone with worse stats than you, it's your call.

As for taking courses...don't do a masters (irrelevant to GPA calculations and too long) and don't do an SMP (too many $$$$ and your BCMP is high). Just my humble opinion, but your time and money would be better spent taking some upper level undergrad bio courses at your local university. If you do a master's program, you run the risk of being able to get into a med school next year but forced to sit out because that school requires you to complete any degree-granting program in which you're currently enrolled.

I applied this year as a gamble and I also decided to take the upper level undergrad bio courses so that I could improve my chances for next year in the event I didn't get in. I was able to do pretty well in the classes and I also was able to connect with my professors so that I could score some really awesome LORs. It turned out that I didn't need either the classes or the LORs as I got into Tulane in October. Now, I am an old man at 28 and yes Tulane likes people who are older BUT I still had my Tulane secondary complete in early/mid July.

So...rethink your essays and make your deadline for having everything (AMCAS, new LORs, Transcripts, etc) ready to go for June 1, 2007. And take a couple classes in the fall if you think you really need it but you're probably fine if you apply early.

Good luck.

Completed my applications near each school's deadline.

Yes, the odds are against you. Applying late in the game (as others have said) is a big no-no. I'm sure it has nothing to do with you as an applicant, but rather the timing was just off. Since you already have everything done this year (AMCAS, personal statement, etc.) it shouldn't be too difficult to re-submit everything next year if you don't get in. Good luck!

I can confirm lateness sucked. I am a reapplicant. Applied late (July) last cycle, filled out secondaries in November, got absolutely NO love.

This time, I applied earlier. June primary, August secondaries. Got four interviews so far.

Definitely apply early and broadly.

You should submit on the first day, not the last.