Aug 2, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
3.07 cumulative GPA
2.83 Major GPA - my major is biology BA, I could switch to BS and add few more classes

Do I have a chance?
My plan now is to do more volunteering, get some classes on being a good persuasive conversationalist, take a semester off just to study for DAT's which I have to master, perfect, and get a perfect score. I have absolutely no letters of recommendation, I was too lazy to get them, now I will get them from 2 teachers, science and art, and few doctors from volunteering and assistants.

I feel no epiphany, I have no hope, I almost gave up, there is nobody to give me advice, I know no one who was in my shoes and succeeded, please let me know here or in PM's what should my plan of action be.

Best,
Anon.

OP
GOLDENTOOTH
Aug 2, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
to raise GPA, or masters, I'm already staying one extra year taking anatomy and physiology, I will ask my school about post bac programs, thank you

Dec 4, 2013
Rochester, New York
Status
Pre-Dental
I'm pretty much in the same situation as you except I'm currently a senior. My plan is to take the DAT sometime in March and hope for at least a 22+. I'm also going to try and apply as soon as applications open. Good luck!

Blake1e

7+ Year Member
May 18, 2012
Status
Dentist
I had your stats and a 20aa/22ts/22pa (16rc) when I applied for 1st time. I got nothing.

I took an year of informal undergrad post-bac at another school for a bunch more sci classes. Then applied again w/ overall 3.2 & sci 3.0 I also retook my Dat for the scores in my sig below. Out of a lot schools applied so far only 1 wait list & a post-dec interview coming up. I'm not looking to good for this cycle. I improved so much but still.

I'm most likely gonna apply again next cycle but this time I know what I should've done that would've helped me a ton. And that is doing tons of research and community service. If your heart is really set on being a dentist I suggest you do the same (along with kicking butt on DAT & classes like I did).

Ferneezy

I don't always Go Blue, but when I do...
5+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2009
Status
Dental Student
3.07 cumulative GPA
2.83 Major GPA - my major is biology BA, I could switch to BS and add few more classes

Do I have a chance?
My plan now is to do more volunteering, get some classes on being a good persuasive conversationalist, take a semester off just to study for DAT's which I have to master, perfect, and get a perfect score. I have absolutely no letters of recommendation, I was too lazy to get them, now I will get them from 2 teachers, science and art, and few doctors from volunteering and assistants.

I feel no epiphany, I have no hope, I almost gave up, there is nobody to give me advice, I know no one who was in my shoes and succeeded, please let me know here or in PM's what should my plan of action be.

Best,
Anon.
your chances are very low. do you have a strong upward trend? why are you looking to score an lor from an art professor? many schools want two letters from science faculty that you've taken science courses from.

you need to address this grade situation before you tackle the easy stuff of letters. first prove to an outside observer that you can "do" school (with grades that will follow you around forever), then you can study for a test that will expire after a relatively short time.

Meat Gyver

7+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2011
Status
Pre-Dental
I agree with all the suggestions. To add my own, I don't think you'll need to dedicate a whole semester in order to prepare for the DAT (2-3 months should be sufficient). Also if possible I'd try to substitute science classes for those persuasive conversation classes (if they are to help with your interviews, you don't have to worry much because most interviews are pretty laid back). Not to mention, do very well in them and not only will they boost your sGPA, but you can also get a LOR from the professor. Kill 2 birds with one stone.