My Stats so far, What do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexHealth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really really need advice. I'm an Asian Male (I'm guessing I'm not a URM) currently heading into my 3rd Year of college with low stats. I'm also a Texas Resident.

Here's my GPA so far:
Overall: 3.64
BCMP: 3.28 (I haven't taken Physics yet)

I'm worried about the MCAT also because I haven't taken Physics yet. Should I delay a year?

Also, I'm planning on a BA Biology. Do schools prefer a BS rather than the BA?

How are my stats so far? Could I at least get into a Texas School? I know people ask this a lot but I really need some advice.

I have a lot of EC. I've volunteered at the local hospitals at home and during school and in the Health Clinic at school. I've done numerous community activities with organizations and summer research experience but have no leadership other than those in High School. Is leadership necessary?

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your advices.

Tex

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen better and I've seen worse. Get a 30 on the MCAT. Don't call it the MCATS or it will get mad at you.

Members don't see this ad :)
low stats PFT u have a 3.6?????
i am ORM w/ a 3.3 so pOoP!
and ur texas..give me ur boots! NOW DAMNIT! DONT MESS WITH ME I HAVE A #2 PENCIL AND ITS SHARRP!

(ur good for stats in my honest opinion just dont crap on the mcat)

I have a question, does the BCPM include only the req pre reqs or does it also include all the of upper division sciences that aren't necessary for matriculation?

Thanks for all the quick responses!

TexHealth said:
I have a question, does the BCPM include only the req pre reqs or does it also include all the of upper division sciences that aren't necessary for matriculation?

Thanks for all the quick responses!

All of them

thanks for everyone's input! keep posting guys

You're fine, just worry about the MCAT. Science GPA should probably be a little bit higher, but you are right there with your GPA. I don't think BA vs. BS matters much, the grades you get in the classes is way more important than the degree you are getting.

Oh I just saw you asked about the MCAT. When are you planning on taking it? I wouldn't advise taking the MCAT before you take physics. That would put you at a pretty big disadvantage.

Eh, I think it's ok to take the MCAT while you're taking physics (at least that's what I did). By the time the test rolled around in April, I already learned about kinematics, I was in the process of learning about electricity and magnetism, and I hadn't learned anything about optics/light. However, there is hardly any optics on the MCAT (and it's easy if there is some) and studying for electricity and magnetism WHILE studying MCAT physics really helped me learn it. Anyway, my three MCAT-buddies (pathetic, right?) all did the same thing too and we turned out alright (42, 38, 38, 33).

VFrank said:
Eh, I think it's ok to take the MCAT while you're taking physics (at least that's what I did). By the time the test rolled around in April, I already learned about kinematics, I was in the process of learning about electricity and magnetism, and I hadn't learned anything about optics/light. However, there is hardly any optics on the MCAT (and it's easy if there is some) and studying for electricity and magnetism WHILE studying MCAT physics really helped me learn it. Anyway, my three MCAT-buddies (pathetic, right?) all did the same thing too and we turned out alright (42, 38, 38, 33).

Yeah, but during and before isn't exactly the same thing. I think he was thinking about taking it before he even started physics. It's still possible, but I would plan to give yourself at least an extra month to teach yourself just physics.

the director of our honors college, who writes composite letters for kids at my school, and who has helped a lot of kids get into ivies, wash u, & duke over the years told me that my ba in bio is better than a bs to a lot of schools, like the ivies, b/c it implies that you are more well-rounded and that you've studied more than just bio/chem whatever.....it basically says your not a science geek..

Yep a lot of schools specifically state that they are looking for applicants with liberal arts education, for some reason.

TexHealth said:
I really really need advice. I'm an Asian Male (I'm guessing I'm not a URM) currently heading into my 3rd Year of college with low stats. I'm also a Texas Resident.

Here's my GPA so far:
Overall: 3.64
BCMP: 3.28 (I haven't taken Physics yet)

I'm worried about the MCAT also because I haven't taken Physics yet. Should I delay a year?

Also, I'm planning on a BA Biology. Do schools prefer a BS rather than the BA?

How are my stats so far? Could I at least get into a Texas School? I know people ask this a lot but I really need some advice.

I have a lot of EC. I've volunteered at the local hospitals at home and during school and in the Health Clinic at school. I've done numerous community activities with organizations and summer research experience but have no leadership other than those in High School. Is leadership necessary?

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your advices.

Tex

Absolutely delay, I mean you might be able to get in with these stats, but be prepared. Take the april MCAT, study hard for it and improve BCMP avg. Remember you only want to apply once. So when you go for it, go for the kill. Don't patz around unless you have reasonable chances of going in. Also I don't know your age, if you are younger, an extra year won't hurt. Best of luck champ.

p.s. EC"s are really good sure but they only come into play if you don't have anything or the candidates are close in STATS, they are not gonna reject someone with 4.0 avg over you, b/c you have great EC's