My Step 2 CS experience, from an AVG Jane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunshine121

azn_sunshine
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This test, as most exams are for me, was a blur. I walked out wishing I did things with more clarity... im not the brightest test taker so thought i'd give some input of my studying experience for future test takers who are like me... I took my test in Houston. The SPs were pleasant (except the teen - she was stonecold!)

I practiced mostly using the Step 2 CS book. I did all of the big cases and most of the small cases over 10 days. I had a buddy that allowed me to practice on them- highly recommend! Something I wish I did was practice writing notes for each of the 40 big cases, as my notes are the weakest portion my ICE had three *** in borderline!
I followed a template for interviewing on the day of the exam.

Provided here: https://www.google.com/search?q=step+2+cs+template&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=612&site=webhp&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjVkfjopqTRAhWDVyYKHc2SCVcQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=1G2chKX6Cq7mvM:

Make sure you have this template ready for both adult and pediatric patients. Sometimes you will forget what questions to ask next, so it is better to have the template so that you will always be thorough. Try to think of several diagnoses and jot them down while the patient is speaking. Also it is important to ask before the physical exam- is there anything else you would like for me to know after you run through your template to pick up on additional information.

Always started with Hello, my name is Dr X. I am the resident physician here to see you. How may I address you?

Ok Mr(s). Y, what brings you in today. Then the template.

Then physical exam - which was always comprehensive if I had time. I always wrote in my note: General, HEENT, CV, Pulm, Extremities and focused on whatever complaint was. If the case was psych or neuro, i only did those exams - did not have the time to make it a comprehensive physical exam.

My notes were extremely rushed and probably disorganized (which is why I got lower points in ICE). I listed as many diagnoses as possible and would copy and paste information from the H&P into the supporting evidence sections. Copy and Paste becomes your best friend. Here is a youtube video that really clarified how to make a good note.

Again, I wish I did notes like this for all 40 cases in Step 2 CS timed to 10 min - it gets extremely tedious but it would have made each pt note on the exam day a lot better and I would have been less anxious during the exam for sure.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I'm assuming you mean you memorized the template? This reads like you were able to bring the template into the exam with you!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm assuming you mean you memorized the template? This reads like you were able to bring the template into the exam with you!
Yea just to clarify- understand this template in and out to get maximal data gathering

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry about that - I was going to write my experience and ask for your feedback, but I made it a different topic as not to interrupt your post. Would appreciate feedback though if you see my post. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user