My Step II score / study strategy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Future GI Guy

Hoo Hoo....
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.

Just got my Step II score, which was a 241 (I'm pretty happy with it).

Over the course of two weeks, I read Boards and Wards twice, and Prescriptions once.

I did all the NMS questions on the computer (I still read every answer, even if I got the question correct). These are the exact same questions used in the book.

I was scoring about 50-60% correct on the NMS questions.

As for the Free USMLE questions from the NBME, I took each of the 50 question tests a week apart (with studying in between).

On test 1, I got a 74% (this was my "pretest")

On test 2, I got an 80% (after a week of study)

On test 3, I got a 96% (after two weeks of study, my "posttest").

I hope that helps you.

GI Guy

Members don't see this ad.

can you give some details about the exam.did you use q bank.

which one to go either boards and wards or prescription for boards(iam an FMG) as i have not used both the books.

how are the questions compared to NMS.

goodluck

I probably wasn't clear enough.

Those resources I listed above were the only resources I used.

If I had to choose between Boards and Wards, and Prescription, I'd chose B & W.

I liked using both because Prescription does have some details that Boards doesn't, and vice versa.

NMS questions were not so much hard, just picky. Which is why I didn't score so well on them.

I loved NMS questions though, because at the very least, it's another nice review. I also felt like it gave me the stamina to complete the test.

I didn't use QBank....too pricey. I don't know many medical students from my school who used it, and we score very well above the national mean.

Hey future GI Guy,
Congratulations on your score and good luck for your residency.
what is the NBME questions that you have mentioned in your post?Where can I get it from ?Thankx

Members don't see this ad :)
It's that free USMLE CD you get when you want to register for the exam.

I believe all the questions can be downloaded from their website:

Download HERE

GI Guy

Does anyone know what percentage of correct answers on the USMLE step 2 corresponds to a passing grade? i.e., what percentage does one have to answer correctly to get the minimum passing score of 176 or whatever it is?

well, I feel like I just got about 60% on it (took it on Good Friday)... I sure hope that is enough to pass! I didn't study a lick for it, but now I wish I had. For those of you slacking and not wanting to take Step 2... take a lesson from me. Just study a bit so you feel confident that you passed!

By the way, do I need to pass Step 2 to start my internship?

Unregistered,

I wouldn't worry so much about the exam. I got a really, really hard test, and I felt like I would be lucky if I passed.

I'm serious, I was literally nauseated just opening up the email from my Dean which gave me my score (he gets it first, naturally).

I did much better than I expected.

I think it's like the Olympic Event of Diving.

You get a really easy difficulty dive, and you blow it out of the water, then you're likely to get an okay score.

If you get a really hard dive, and you just do "okay," then you could potentially get an awesome score.

It all has to do with level of difficulty, if that makes any sense.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll do fine.

Just be glad you took the thing before the end of April--I believe they're raising the passing score at the beginning of May.

Good luck.

GI Guy

And to answer your other question.

Most, if not all, states require that you pass Step II to get a temporary license. You can't start residency without one.

It was a mute point for me. My school requires that I pass to graduate. If I didn't graduate, I can't get a diploma. No diploma equals no license.

FutureGIguy,

Thanks for your response... it was very reassuring. You described how I felt during my exam exactly. I did score a 99th percentile on boards part 1, and had this horrible thought that I'd be exposed as the first person to score well on the first part and fail the second part. Be that as it may, I'm reading over boards & wards now... just in case I have to take it over again.

Thanks also for the information about boards 2 pass prerequisite for beginning residency. It's interesting, though... because I already sent back all the paperwork my program sent me, which included an application for temp licensure, and there wasn't any mention of board scores there... is it possible that the state of Washington is a state that does not require a pass on boards 2? I kinda wish my school required a pass to graduate too... I probably would have studied harder. Anyway, thanks for the reply, and I'll let you know when I get my score...

Since your school usually does well above the mean on Step2, does anyone in your school use BluePrints or UCV. Which is more popular for the high scorers, or does everyone just do B&W and NMS?

Strongman,

I would say the vast majority of my class used Blueprints during every third year rotation. I'm certain some of them re-visited those books during their STep II study time.

I didn't because they're too low-yield for me, though if you memorized everything in every Blueprints, I'm sure you'd do AWESOME!

I haven't heard of anyone using Underground Clinical Vignettes.

Hope that helps.

GI Guy

I used crush the boards and boards and wards with Q-bank for questions. I read crush the boards cover to cover since it was an easy reading and used boards and wards to supplement occasionally. I liked Q-bank and think I benefitted most from doing most of the questions and reading the explanations to both the correct and incorrect answers. When I did the USMLE released items a few days before the exam I found them exceptionally easy (and to be honest, they were easier than the actual boards). When it came down to the boards I found them much easier than Step I and my biggest issue was stamina. I did not time myself during practice and didn't do more than 0 questions at once. So, I had to take many breaks. I got my scores on Friday and I did well.
The key for me was probably doing questions on q-bank.
Dani

Future GI guy,

Whew! I just got my Step II score and I passed with a score of 222. Not too shabby considering I only studied about 8 hours for it. My advice to last-second crammers: read through Boards & Wards at least one time and you should be ok.

Residency, here I come!