My story, any advice is appreciated =)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brownbaglunch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I assume this is an invite for me to post. :laugh:

You already know that CA is the most competitive state to apply from and the lack of geographic flexibility may be a significant impediment, so I won't belabor the point. What you need to do next is contact UCSF and see if they'll give you some preapp counseling on how to improve your app as much as possible. Also, I would look into whether they have an ED program. Many schools don't, but if they do, it's worth considering since you have your heart set on that particular school.

I'd argue that one other major problem you haven't considered is that you haven't articulated why you want to go to medical school very well. The usual thing the ED or urgent care can do for a kid with a high fever for several hours is teach parents how to properly dose antipyretics and reassure them that a temp of 104 is not going to fry their child's brain. Not to make light of the importance of doing that, because of course parents are scared, especially first time parents. It's just that when people talk about being influenced by a family member's illness to go to med school, it's usually someone with a major prolonged illness, and it's also usually someone the applicant actually knows. :hungover:

If you never finished your BS, do you have an undergrad degree? Most med schools require a bachelor's degree before matriculation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am confused by what you mean when you say, "While all that is true, I'm just not sure that it sounds all that convincing?" Who are you trying to convince?

I say it's nice to shadow, but you get a real gut perspective when you work A LOT with resident physicians. To me it's where the rubber meets the road. Also, just eavesdrop on the med school students forum to get a tiny taste of their stress levels and perspectives. Then get with some attending docs in various areas--and eavesdrop on the ones here at SDN. Note: Try to limit or avoid commenting. What you may get with ms's, residents, or attendings on SDN is, "You're not where we are, so sit down and be quiet." They may do this is in the nicest possible way--or not. And those forums are for them, so, they can feel that way if they want. All they really are saying is if your aren't "there" yet, how can you relate?" Seems fair. So I try not to bother them, but I do try to glean some insight from "listening in" on their discussions from time to time.

Best of all for me has been working with a lot residents and fellows, etc over the years. I truly feel for the surgical residents--and IM and CCM can have it hard too--although OB isn't always fun either. I watch, talk with them, work with them, listen and learn so to speak. There is a typical stress pattern that I"ve seen over the years. It's a stressful, hard, and long road. Way it is.

Good luck.