My story..Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Obi184

MS-0
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So from what I have seen, my pre-med situation is a bit different from pretty much everyone elses. For starters, I dropped out of high school and got my GED. I started my ugrad at a community college and then transferred to a 4-year where I began by being a pre-law poli-sci major. I quickly realized that this was not what I wanted, career-wise, and, through some job-related exposure, I eventually realized that I wanted to be a physician. My problem began, though, when I was still poli-sci. I was taking pre-reqs for my degree plan and I wasn't focused at all. Bored by my classes, I ended up doing quite poorly in two consecutive semesters. For the sake of time and space, I'm just going to sum all that into a "pre-freshman" area for calculating my GPA. Then came the transition to becoming a pre-med bio major, and all of that foolishness changed. At this point, though, came a transition to another school. I did, and have done, quite well in all of my classes from then to this point. I retook those classes(they were non-BCPM) that I did poorly in and made A's in them.

I took the MCAT in March and was surprised by my scores:
PS: 9 VR: 11 WS: M BS: 10 Composite: 30M

Here are the numbers for each semester:
"Pre-freshman" - cGPA: 2.53 BCPM: 2.82
2nd sem "freshman"(12hrs) - 3.667
1st sem "sophomore"(14hrs) - 4.0
2nd sem "sophomore"(15hrs) - 3.8
1st sem "junior"(16hrs) - 3.667
2nd sem "junior"(9hrs) - 4.0(prospective)

After I make all A's this semester, my GPA's will be at the following levels:
cGPA: 3.33
BCPM: 3.64

I am a Texas resident applying to all the schools in-state plus 8(?) out of state.

So what are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

So from what I have seen, my pre-med situation is a bit different from pretty much everyone elses. For starters, I dropped out of high school and got my GED. I started my ugrad at a community college and then transferred to a 4-year where I began by being a pre-law poli-sci major. I quickly realized that this was not what I wanted, career-wise, and, through some job-related exposure, I eventually realized that I wanted to be a physician. My problem began, though, when I was still poli-sci. I was taking pre-reqs for my degree plan and I wasn't focused at all. Bored by my classes, I ended up doing quite poorly in two consecutive semesters. For the sake of time and space, I'm just going to sum all that into a "pre-freshman" area for calculating my GPA. Then came the transition to becoming a pre-med bio major, and all of that foolishness changed. At this point, though, came a transition to another school. I did, and have done, quite well in all of my classes from then to this point. I retook those classes(they were non-BCPM) that I did poorly in and made A's in them.

I took the MCAT in March and was surprised by my scores:
PS: 9 VR: 11 WS: M BS: 10 Composite: 30M

Here are the numbers for each semester:
"Pre-freshman" - cGPA: 2.53 BCPM: 2.82
2nd sem "freshman"(12hrs) - 3.667
1st sem "sophomore"(14hrs) - 4.0
2nd sem "sophomore"(15hrs) - 3.8
1st sem "junior"(16hrs) - 3.667
2nd sem "junior"(9hrs) - 4.0(prospective)

After I make all A's this semester, my GPA's will be at the following levels:
cGPA: 3.33
BCPM: 3.64

I am a Texas resident applying to all the schools in-state plus 8(?) out of state.

So what are my chances?

I think you have at shot at one of the texas schools, personally. Your age and trend towards a decent GPA will look good. Can you give more insight on your ECs

As far as my EC's go, I have been in tri-beta for a year, I've volunteered in the ER for ~100 hours over the past year and I've shadowed a surgical resident a few times ~ 20 hours and an opthomologist ~ 20 hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as my MCAT goes, I would like a higher score, and I might be able to raise it, but that 30 is already 4 points above my AAMC average. Plus, if there's one universal thing that I've been told from anyone that knows anything about applying to professional school, it's that I must apply early. If I had to wait on my MCAT again, I think that would set me back too far.

Last edited:
No, I'm not applying DO this application cycle. I really want to do MD, plus Texas only has one DO school, so I don't think this will hurt me too much. If I don't get in somewhere this time around, then next year I'll broaden my options, apply to DO's and Caribbean schools.

What are your out of state choices? You're competitive for DO this year, so next year you shouldn't have to apply Caribbean! In other words, I think you can be confident of securing a spot somewhere if you don't get an allopathic position this year. I think you probably need to apply pretty broadly, although being a TX resident is an advantage in itself.

DO schools will replace those grades you retook with the new A's you received while the MD school will not. This would make your gpa seem much higher than you think it is. If you have the money to spend on a few DO programs, I wouldn't take the chance of having to wait an entire year to think about them (just in case). But thats just me.

No, I'm not applying DO this application cycle. I really want to do MD, plus Texas only has one DO school, so I don't think this will hurt me too much. If I don't get in somewhere this time around, then next year I'll broaden my options, apply to DO's and Caribbean schools.

As far as my MCAT goes, I would like a higher score, and I might be able to raise it, but that 30 is already 4 points above my AAMC average. Plus, if there's one universal thing that I've been told from anyone that knows anything about applying to professional school, it's that I must apply early. If I had to wait on my MCAT again, I think that would set me back too far.

Dont apply caribbean if you dont get in this year thats silly your competitive for stateside and DO schools.

Second you MCAT is 4 points higher than the avg of everyone who takes the test but your 30 is the average for accepted applicants. That being said I think you will have a really good chance in state!

I personally think you should give consideration to DO, but you may have a shot at some of your state schools. You need to boost your ECs though, they seem to be lacking. I wouldn't retake the MCAT if it is already much better than your average AAMC tests.

Definitely don't want to sit around a year though, as Bl00mer said.

First off, I would like to thank everyone very much for their responses so far. They've been very helpful and have given me much hope.

Ok, You've convinced me on applying DO, but I would still like to concentrate on getting into an MD schools. Other than U of North Texas, which other DO school (so, 2, maybe 3 total) should I seriously consider?

I personally think you should give consideration to DO, but you may have a shot at some of your state schools. You need to boost your ECs though, they seem to be lacking. I wouldn't retake the MCAT if it is already much better than your average AAMC tests.

What are some other ways that I could boost my EC's other than research? I say other than research because I don't think I'll have the chance this summer nor will I have the time during the fall.

Being in, and even President of my school's chapter of Tri-Beta did diddly squat for me. Wasn't even mentioned in my interviews. You lack leadership experience so given your limited time and aversion for research (and believe me, I avoided research too and only got experience in the past few months because I've had the opportunity to do it while working full-time)...you need to make more out of whatever opportunities you have at school. Start a campus clean up or a new organization, alternative breaks, Habitat for Humanity or some other community service program to show commitment to your local community.

Everyone has ER volunteering and usually some basic research -- also give some thought to clinical research. I learned early on that bench research wasn't my thing and really like helping out on clinical projects at a local hospital. The experience will only help. Maybe you can do this through the hospital you volunteer at as well: new volunteer training/orientation? Tutoring students in basic science courses is a great experience too, maybe even tutoring disadvantaged children depending on where you go to school and its local area.

You need to make time for these things: manage the time you have well. Everyone says they don't have time but here's my example: I worked 35 hours/week - part of which was as a CNA, double majored in science and a language (full time student, obviously), was president of Tri-Beta, ran my rather sizeable university's blood drives, volunteered 10 hours/week, and tutored while in undergrad. Plus a few random experiences here and there. All while pulling off a 3.85 GPA. There is always time to get the work done if you plan accordingly.