Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

My story so far

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by Santa Claus, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Santa Claus

Pre-Medical
    Hi all,

I've been lurking on this forum for a while and decided to sign up. I have to compliment the initiators of this forum, because it's just full of well-organised information!

I'm not an U.S citizen, but I've married an U.S citizen past July and got my ''green card''. The road to the United States has been a long one and an emotional one. I'm originally from the Netherlands, Europe, but what should have been a cool period a school, resulted in disaster after disaster. At the age of 15 it all started with innocent telephone calls and my parents and I never had thought it would have something to do with school. The telephone calls came to an end, but it resulted with being terrorized at school. Being terrorized is not similar as being bullied, I did a lot of sports and thought I had a lot of confidence, so if I was being bullied, I would have been over it, but being terrorized is something clearly different. Pictures were taken of me without any notice and they were put on the Internet. They even made a website about me, but I still didn't know who those guys were, but it made me feel very scared of being aware that someone is willing to hurt me or something. During the last period of my junior year at high school in the Netherland I became aware of whot those guys were and went to the local police station. They've done absolutely nothing. According to the police there was no witness or whatever, so the guys couldn't be prosecuted. It made me feel so angry, but also so scared and I became isolated. I used to do a lot of gliding (got my Gliding Pilot License), but didn't go to the club. I used to play tennis, but not anymore since then. I couldn't tell my friends about this, because I was scared and I even lost my friends due to those ****** guys.

During senior year in high school I turned 18 and I decided to quit school, because it was just too much for me to go to that place. School didn't do anything, but talking and according to the school, they thought I had a mental problem :rolleyes:. I had no diploma, nothing and was searching for an alternative and found out I could take the G.E.D. I took the G.E.D test and I scored 2670 which is I think slightly above average. Next step was getting into college in the United States. I was completely done with those bastards in the Netherlands and wanted to leave. My parents weren't that supportive, so principally I had to arrange everyting myself. I got an approved government subsidized loan in the Netherlands of $85,000 and got accepted in several low-budget schools, because I couldn't exceed my budget and there aren't a lot of International student scholarships, especially when you have a G.E.D.

Visa was approved and I went to America and was so freaking happy! I was surprised by the hospitality of Americans. They were so nice. You won't see anything like that in the Netherlands! During college I've had a great time and I still have! I've made a lot of friends and they're so supportive to anyone and I've never ever seen a student being bullied or anything like it. I've also met one of the most beautiful ladies in the world, seriously :D. Day one of college I've met her and now we've married! She's anything a guy looks in a women. Athletic, smart, nice, supportive, understandable, and so on! I've actually never met anyone like her. She's the one who supported me of not giving up my dreams and believe in yourself. During my sophomore year I asked her to marry me. I dedicated a song to her, "A world to believe in" of Celine Dion. I've actually taken some singing lessons :laugh:. She said "yes" of course and now we're married and we really love each other and support each other. It's awesome to have someone around you who truly loves you. It's a long sime since I've felt something like that.

And now I'm in my junior year and have already taken the MCAT last year with a score of 37P (PS 13 VB 11 BS 13 WS P). My GPA is good enough I think (cGPA 3.92 and sGPA 3.79). The only thing I have to work on are my extracurricular activities. Due to the fact that I got my green card in december I was still considered an International Student, so I couldn't do a lot of things instead of volunteering and doing some research.

My ECs are: volunteering in the hospital (doing some cleaning, talking mood into patients, directing patients, etc.), volunteerwork in Africa with children whose limbs were amputated, done some research and made a poster, pre-med club member of university, I'm busy writing a book (don't know if it will be published), play some intramural sports (tennis, swimming and cross country), play piano, member of fraternity club, will shadow a pediatrician in three weeks, almost forgot I'm a double major in Psychology and Excersie Science with minor in Spanish and all the appropriate pre-medical coursework.

I have not a lot of clinical experience, only in Africa, but I'll be working on it in a few weeks. I've contacted a few doctors and in three weeks I'll shadow a pediatrician and got also an e-mail back from a cardiothoracic surgeon to shadow her for a maximum of week, but have to arrange a date with her.

Phews, what a story. I'd like anyone to let his opinion speak about my experience so far. Will my lack of an original high school diploma affect me negatively during the application cycle? Will my bad experience affect my chances in a negative way? And how can I improve my chances more? In general, are there a lot of married couples in medical school?

Cheers,

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Your numbers are good. You have a green card. You have experiences to list that make you look well-rounded. Besides getting more clinical experience, try to get something to list for a leadership experience. Research is desirable, but not essential. Community service is essential, but is covered if you're doing volunteering to gain clinical exposure.

Your lack of a HS diploma will not effect your application. You will find that there are other married people in med school. Your bad experience in your home country should not effect your application, but I wouldn't mention negative information in your essay on the primary application. Stick to the positive forces that inspired your journey to become a physician.

4. Rzarecta

Rzarecta Premed 2: Electric Bugalo
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You have a GED and are doing extremely well in college. On top of that your MCAT rocks. You won't have any problems lacking a HS diploma (the GED is an acceptable equivalent) as college performance is the primary concern of medical school admissions committees.

As Mobius said I wouldn't bring these bad experiences from high school into your application. Your ECs look very good, I think for you to aim for some of the more competitive schools you may want to consider doing some research.

At this point your overall application seems pretty good. Strong work!