mim324

Membership Revoked
Removed
Nov 25, 2013
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
So my overall and science gpa were both low (below 2.5). I have finished taking ochem 1 (retook it since I got a D the first time) and got an A, took anatomy 1 and 2 and aced them too. Bio 1 and 2 and aced them. chem 1 and 2 and aced them. What brought my gpa so low was my first year of college i took chem 1 and 2, bio 1 and 2 and got ds and cs (thus why i retook them) as well as other classes that i bombed.... I decided to take a bunch of online science classes (not prerequisites) to raise my gpa and to work around my schedule (this was when i retook the chems and bio classes). I took them at various CC's too. My science and overall jumped to a 2.8-2.9 ....what do you guys think...although this is kind of a cheat way to raise my gpa (an i mean taking all those online CC science classes), i have no other choice since i pretty much work all the time and will graduate with my bs in biology soon.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2013
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Retaking classes isn't cheating. It's taking the time and effort to actually understand the subject. I would look into whatever schools you are deciding to apply to and see what their policy is on retaking classes, taking online classes, and/or taking community college classes to see if they will accept the credits and/or how they will be factored in the per-school GPA calculations. For example, some schools average all your grades for a specific class and others take the most recent grade. While the schools will consider your various GPAs, keep in mind they will also look at your grades for the prerequisites individually.

Amicable Angora

Lagomorpha
5+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2012
Status
Pharmacist
So my overall and science gpa were both low (below 2.5). I have finished taking ochem 1 (retook it since I got a D the first time) and got an A, took anatomy 1 and 2 and aced them too. Bio 1 and 2 and aced them. chem 1 and 2 and aced them. What brought my gpa so low was my first year of college i took chem 1 and 2, bio 1 and 2 and got ds and cs (thus why i retook them) as well as other classes that i bombed.... I decided to take a bunch of online science classes (not prerequisites) to raise my gpa and to work around my schedule (this was when i retook the chems and bio classes). I took them at various CC's too. My science and overall jumped to a 2.8-2.9 ....what do you guys think...although this is kind of a cheat way to raise my gpa (an i mean taking all those online CC science classes), i have no other choice since i pretty much work all the time and will graduate with my bs in biology soon.
Get a high PCAT score, and write a convincing essay describing your experience. You might even get into a mid tier school based upon your strength of recovery.