My strategy/tips for studying for the PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cytosine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a long lurker here at SDN forums, I finally decided to post because this forum has provided me with a wealth of valuable information, and I decided to finally contribute to the dialogue.

I took my first PCAT on June 2009 and got an 87 composite. Although my scores are very well rounded, they are not spectacular like some posters in this forum. Had it not for the advices of some posters on how to study for the PCAT, I felt I could have easily gotten a 60-70. These are my results:

Verbal ability: 89%
Biology: 84%
Reading comprehension: 85%
Quantitative Ability: 73%
Chemistry: 81%
Composite: 87%
Writing scores: conventional language =3; problem solving=3

As a very non-disciplined person, I had to constantly force myself to study, and I trained myself to follow a very strict study plan over the course of 2 months. After work, I would go to the library/Barnes and Nobles/Borders and study for about 5-6hours. I am the type of person who cannot study alone, therefore I always need to see other people studying to encourage me to do the same. Also, as a poor college graduate, I couldn't afford anything fancy, so these are the only books I bought to study:

1) Kaplan's 2008-2009 PCAT (25 bucks online):
I would recommend buying this book for the inorganic chemistry section and biology section only because it is very thorough. The organic chemistry section is very shallow and lacking. The math is decent, and the verbal ability/reading comprehension is just a copy paste from their GRE book. The practice questions are very tough (some problems take more than a minute to do), and do not reflect what type of questions will be on the test, but they are a good practice to make sure you truly understand the concepts.

2) Cliffs test prep: 5 PCAT practice test book (12bucks):
I do not recommend this book. It is very outdated and riddled with many errors. The practice tests are very, very easy. PCAT questions will be a lot tougher.

3) Barnes &Nobles/Borders (Free):
The bookstore is a cheap source for you to learn for free! In particular I use GRE books to do their practice verbal ability, reading comprehension, and math tests. I also use the Kaplan MCAT verbal reasoning book and the 101 passages book. These 2 are a great practice for reading comprehension, and there are a million reading passages for you to practice for!

VERBAL ABILITY:
Estimated time studying: 5days
Strategy: Do not get freaked out about memorizing tons of words. Most of these words you should already know or learned in college. Although I did study the "Most common used words in the GRE," it was not all that helpful because they only use a couple of GRE words.

For the analogy part, the main goal is to find the relationship between the two words. The relationship will be very specific, and they will not give you words with ambiguous relationships. Try to form a sentence out of the two words.

Example: PENNILESS: MONEY
Someone who is penniless lacks money.

Some of the common relationships words have:
1) The words are opposite in meaning
2) The words are synonyms
3) One is a part of a whole/group
4) Characteristics (someone who is frugal is cheap)
5) Extremities (ex: Hatred is the extreme form of dislike)

Fill in the blanks is the easiest section in the exam. Basically try to anticipate what word will fit into the sentence. The two blank questions are even easier because you can use the process of elimination to determine what 2 words will fit. Keep an eye out for context clues in the sentence. For example, words like "and," "also" imply that you need to pick a synonym to fill into the blank. Context words like "yet" "Nonetheless" "rather" "but" imply that you need to use an antonym to fill into the blank.

Practice, practice, practice! I did so many practice problems using the GRE books that this section becomes the easiest for me. Some of the analogy questions on the June PCAT were very tricky because I could not come up with specific relationship between the two words.

BIOLOGY:
Estimated time studying: 1-2days
Strategy: I recommend reading through the whole Kaplan Biology section even though it is long and tedious. It mostly covers everything. Two days before my PCAT exam, I spent the whole day reading the Kaplan section, so Bio was very fresh on my mind. The actual bio section on my PCAT was very random. It had everything from anatomy, ecology, cellular biology, taxonomy, genetics, and even a drawing of a plant. They threw all sorts of weird questions at you, so be prepared for educated guesses if you are unsure.

CHEMISTRY:
Estimated time studying: 3 days for inorganic chem/ 5 days for o-chem
Strategy: Study hard for this section because Pharmacy schools will look at this score more closely than the other sections. The Kaplan book is very thorough for the inorganic section.
For the organic chemistry section, I cracked open my O-chem book and notes. If you are short on time, just learn nomenclature, because 50-60% of the O-chem questions were "what is the name of this molecule?" Cliff's 5 PCAT tests have some decent practice problems.

Be aware that since you have to answer 45(?) questions in 35 minutes, there will be no complex questions that take more than a minute to calculate. Do not stress out about the practice questions on the Kaplan review section because some of them are too lengthy. If you feel that a problem will take you more than a minute, skip it! Also, since there are so many questions in a short amount of time, they will have to throw "fact" questions at you (takes less than 1sec to answer). For example: Whose law states that at constant temperature, the volume of gas is directly proportional to its absolute temperature? (Answer: Charles' law). They had about 4 of these types of "fact" questions on my test. Skip around, answer the ones you do know, especially the easy nomenclature questions.

READING COMPREHENSION:
Strategy: As a non-native born speaker, I struggled with this section immensely. I read very slow and struggle for time. My biggest recommendation is practice! I use the Kaplan book, GRE book, MCAT book, and 101 passages book to practice for this section.The MCAT book is extremely useful because it is a lot harder than the PCAT reading section and it allows you to practice time management. Another recommendation is to PRETEND that you are interested in the passage so that your mind does not get bored and lose focus. I really loathe reading astronomy and social science passages, so I have to force myself to endure through it. :sleep:

Disclaimer: I know that these strategies might not work for everyone, since we all have different learning styles. I usually read through the passage ONCE thoroughly. Don't skim it because you have to waste time reading through the passage again if you did not catch the main idea the first time. I also read the questions beforehand so I can anticipate what sort of things I need to be on the watch for. UNDERLINING important concepts in the passage is very useful because you can refer back to that later.

The easiest type of questions that you should always answer first is the "what does this word mean?" They even underline the word in bold for you. On the PCAT, they had one of these types of questions per every passage. The hardest type of question is: what can you infer from this passage or what would the author of agree with?

QUANTITATIVE:
Estimated time studying: 1 day
Strategy: Use the Kaplan book to review basic algebra, geometry, statistics, and calculus. Once again: Practice, practice, and more practice. Brush up on your adding, multiplying, dividing skills because you cannot use a calculator on the test. Use the GRE book/5 PCAT test. Ignore the trigonometry questions on the GRE books. The calculus section is very easy to me. Just know your basic differentiation, integration, limits, how to find the area under a curve between two points, and Le Hospital's rule.

The quantitative section during my PCAT was extremely difficult, possibly because I was underestimating it. It was the last section so I ran out of mental juju, and my mind was getting slower and slower. I recommend bring an energy bar, banana, and something to drink so that you have energy in the end. The main strategy here is to skip around and find problems you can do CORRECTLY. Find all the problems with "solve for X" and "what is the differentiation of this" and do them. Skip lengthy problems with a lot of reading (statistics/probability questions). Concentrate on getting more problems CORRECTLY than trying answer everything.

WRITING:
Time spent studying: 0days
Honestly I did not study this section, I ran out of time so I decided to wing it. It is actually not too bad. You will have to write 2 essay prompts (one will be experimental, so it won't even be graded). The essay prompts are very easy: Propose a solution to (blank). You will have to write fast (30 minutes per essay). I also advise to make an outline before you begin writing to make your essay more structuralized and concise.

I use this very simple essay guideline:
Introduction: Tell them a little bit more about the problem. In the thesis mention multiple solutions to this problem.
Body 1: solution 1
Body 2: solution 2
Body 3: solution 3 (if you want to write more)
Conclusion: Summarize your whole essay.

SUGGESTIONS BEFORE THE TEST:
1) Eat a big breakfast! I only had a bagel and that was a bad idea. The test was 8am-1pm, and during the last section (Math), I literally ran out of steam.

2) Print a map of the campus of your testing center. Also print the directions to the nearest payable parking structure. Get there early because they could decide to reassign you to a different building based on your last name.

3) Bring food, water, lots of pencils, your registration paper, a watch for time, and 2 IDs.

4) Go to the bathroom before the test, just in case you decide to soil in your pants during the exam. :laugh:

5) RELAX and stop worrying. You can worry about the results after you leave!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Bump

Why thank you, the timing couldn't be better.. right before the Jan PCAT :]

I agree I am very much like you (hard to stay on track) and I will be writing the PCAT in Jan. I am using Kaplan/Examkrackers/Clifs/Barrons/And flash cards D:

I haven't taken orgo chem yet.. and I only took bio I so far so im studying pretty hard for that. The kaplan bio section is pretty in depth so hopefully I'll do well on that.

Thanks again! It also seems that everyone gets 3 on the essay D:

Bump

Why thank you, the timing couldn't be better.. right before the Jan PCAT :]

I agree I am very much like you (hard to stay on track) and I will be writing the PCAT in Jan. I am using Kaplan/Examkrackers/Clifs/Barrons/And flash cards D:

I haven't taken orgo chem yet.. and I only took bio I so far so im studying pretty hard for that. The kaplan bio section is pretty in depth so hopefully I'll do well on that.

Thanks again! It also seems that everyone gets 3 on the essay D:

Cool! I'm also applying to U of T! Are you in or out of province?

Thanks for the feedback Cytosine! B&N is my venue of choice as well because I use the study guides there to take notes on certain random Trig or Calculus notes without spending money on a study guide that I'll never use again!

Thanks for the heads up! Great post. Now if I could only motivate myself to start studying.....

Dang, thanx for the great post. Helps alot. Plus I'm screwed for the verbal section (as of now) because throughout high school I've been cussing in all my sentences and never used complicated words. Plus I slept in all my Pre-ap/AP english courses....

Wow! this post is such a great help! I have exactly 20 days left until my first PCAT. So even plant materials will be tested on the PCAT? I've spent at least 5 days reading my general biology book :p Also? do you think Organic II chapters are important to know for the PCAT? or should I focus on the first 10 or 12 chapters of my organic book? Should I study IR, NMR chapters as well? Thank you so much!

Wow! this post is such a great help! I have exactly 20 days left until my first PCAT. So even plant materials will be tested on the PCAT? I've spent at least 5 days reading my general biology book :p Also? do you think Organic II chapters are important to know for the PCAT? or should I focus on the first 10 or 12 chapters of my organic book? Should I study IR, NMR chapters as well? Thank you so much!

Don't waste your time studying in depth plant bio material. At most there will probably be 1-2 questions on it. I'm not sure what your organic 2 class covers, but on my PCAT there was no IR, NMR questions. My test had mostly nomenclature and reaction questions. Focus on important reactions (alkanes, alkenes, alkynes, alcohols, adehydes, ketones, carboxylic acids and their derivatives, benzenes, amines, etc.) and know how to name them. Also learn about SN1, SN2, E1, E2 reactions.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Excellent advice. I'd like to add one more thing that I found very helpful. I brought an analog watch and set it to 12:00 at the start of each section. It helped me keep on pace without having to figure out how many minutes has it has been from 9:37, for example. Not all centers have a visible clock so be prepared.

I disagree about Cliffs. It's a cheap $2 and change per test. Though it was easier in general than the real test, the PCAT did have easy questions like that too. The biggest mistake is that the answers choices don't match to the key but I remember the explanations were right. Since it's for the old PCAT, it has more questions and allots more time for the sections. Trying to asnwer all the questions to the new timing to get that same 'gotta answer quick' feeling as on the real exam. If you can read the question and snap back with the right answer like you're a twitching test-taking fiend even before you see the answers, then timing is no problem.

As for printing a map, getting their early, etc., yes, that's good advice but go to the place a couple days before just to make sure you find the it on test day.

Since the test is usually in the morning, adjusting sleep schedule a couple weeks in advance can help.

Be aware that since you have to answer 45(?)

Isn't it 48 ? With 8 being experimental.

I brought an analog watch and set it to 12:00 at the start of each section.

What kind of watches to they allow? Im trying to find a cheap analog watch from like walmart :p

How do you set an analog watch? Or is there a settable one? Or did you just change the time.. like pull that thing out and wind it..

Are all the reading passages science related? I was doing a few passages in the kaplan MCAT Advanced book and the passages weren't really science related so i'm just wondering if the passages were too easy compared to the real test?

I just wanted to bump this so hopefully it will help future pharmacy students studying for the June/August PCAT :).

What kind of watches to they allow? Im trying to find a cheap analog watch from like walmart :p

How do you set an analog watch? Or is there a settable one? Or did you just change the time.. like pull that thing out and wind it..

I guess they allow any kind of watch as long as it doesn't have a calculator on it or it doesn't make noise. I got my watch at Target for $13. It has been over a year yet I still wear it because it is my lucky PCAT watch. The band is falling apart though but what can you expect for $13?

To set the watch, you pull out the pin, wind to the time you want, and push the pin back in. I did this at the start of each section and it helped with time management a lot.

Great tips by OP! I second that. Wish I had used Barnes and Noble more :)

Also great tip Diastole about the analog watch!

Don't waste your time studying in depth plant bio material. At most there will probably be 1-2 questions on it. I'm not sure what your organic 2 class covers, but on my PCAT there was no IR, NMR questions. My test had mostly nomenclature and reaction questions. Focus on important reactions (alkanes, alkenes, alkynes, alcohols, adehydes, ketones, carboxylic acids and their derivatives, benzenes, amines, etc.) and know how to name them. Also learn about SN1, SN2, E1, E2 reactions.

Make a 91 on Chem on my Jan PCAT. Not satisfied with the reading score thought :(

As a long lurker here at SDN forums, I finally decided to post because this forum has provided me with a wealth of valuable information, and I decided to finally contribute to the dialogue.

I took my first PCAT on June 2009 and got an 87 composite. Although my scores are very well rounded, they are not spectacular like some posters in this forum. Had it not for the advices of some posters on how to study for the PCAT, I felt I could have easily gotten a 60-70. These are my results:

Verbal ability: 89%
Biology: 84%
Reading comprehension: 85%
Quantitative Ability: 73%
Chemistry: 81%
Composite: 87%
Writing scores: conventional language =3; problem solving=3

As a very non-disciplined person, I had to constantly force myself to study, and I trained myself to follow a very strict study plan over the course of 2 months. After work, I would go to the library/Barnes and Nobles/Borders and study for about 5-6hours. I am the type of person who cannot study alone, therefore I always need to see other people studying to encourage me to do the same. Also, as a poor college graduate, I couldn’t afford anything fancy, so these are the only books I bought to study:

1) Kaplan’s 2008-2009 PCAT (25 bucks online):
I would recommend buying this book for the inorganic chemistry section and biology section only because it is very thorough. The organic chemistry section is very shallow and lacking. The math is decent, and the verbal ability/reading comprehension is just a copy paste from their GRE book. The practice questions are very tough (some problems take more than a minute to do), and do not reflect what type of questions will be on the test, but they are a good practice to make sure you truly understand the concepts.

2) Cliffs test prep: 5 PCAT practice test book (12bucks):
I do not recommend this book. It is very outdated and riddled with many errors. The practice tests are very, very easy. PCAT questions will be a lot tougher.

3) Barnes &Nobles/Borders (Free):
The bookstore is a cheap source for you to learn for free! In particular I use GRE books to do their practice verbal ability, reading comprehension, and math tests. I also use the Kaplan MCAT verbal reasoning book and the 101 passages book. These 2 are a great practice for reading comprehension, and there are a million reading passages for you to practice for!

VERBAL ABILITY:
Strategy: Do not get freaked out about memorizing tons of words. Most of these words you should already know or learned in college. Although I did study the “Most common used words in the GRE,” it was not all that helpful because they only use a couple of GRE words.

For the analogy part, the main goal is to find the relationship between the two words. The relationship will be very specific, and they will not give you words with ambiguous relationships. Try to form a sentence out of the two words.

Example: PENNILESS: MONEY
Someone who is penniless lacks money.

Some of the common relationships words have:
1) The words are opposite in meaning
2) The words are synonyms
3) One is a part of a whole/group
4) Characteristics (someone who is frugal is cheap)
5) Extremities (ex: Hatred is the extreme form of dislike)

Fill in the blanks is the easiest section in the exam. Basically try to anticipate what word will fit into the sentence. The two blank questions are even easier because you can use the process of elimination to determine what 2 words will fit. Keep an eye out for context clues in the sentence. For example, words like “and,” “also” imply that you need to pick a synonym to fill into the blank. Context words like “yet” “Nonetheless” “rather” “but” imply that you need to use an antonym to fill into the blank.

Practice, practice, practice! I did so many practice problems using the GRE books that this section becomes the easiest for me. Some of the analogy questions on the June PCAT were very tricky because I could not come up with specific relationship between the two words.

BIOLOGY:
Estimated time studying: 1-2days
Strategy: I recommend reading through the whole Kaplan Biology section even though it is long and tedious. It mostly covers everything. Two days before my PCAT exam, I spent the whole day reading the Kaplan section, so Bio was very fresh on my mind. The actual bio section on my PCAT was very random. It had everything from anatomy, ecology, cellular biology, taxonomy, genetics, and even a drawing of a plant. They threw all sorts of weird questions at you, so be prepared for educated guesses if you are unsure.

CHEMISTRY:
Estimated time studying: 3 days for inorganic chem/ 5 days for o-chem
Strategy: Study hard for this section because Pharmacy schools will look at this score more closely than the other sections. The Kaplan book is very thorough for the inorganic section.
For the organic chemistry section, I cracked open my O-chem book and notes. If you are short on time, just learn nomenclature, because 50-60% of the O-chem questions were “what is the name of this molecule?” Cliff's 5 PCAT tests have some decent practice problems.

Be aware that since you have to answer 45(?) questions in 35 minutes, there will be no complex questions that take more than a minute to calculate. Do not stress out about the practice questions on the Kaplan review section because some of them are too lengthy. If you feel that a problem will take you more than a minute, skip it! Also, since there are so many questions in a short amount of time, they will have to throw “fact” questions at you (takes less than 1sec to answer). For example: Whose law states that at constant temperature, the volume of gas is directly proportional to its absolute temperature? (Answer: Charles’ law). They had about 4 of these types of “fact” questions on my test. Skip around, answer the ones you do know, especially the easy nomenclature questions.

READING COMPREHENSION:
Strategy: As a non-native born speaker, I struggled with this section immensely. I read very slow and struggle for time. My biggest recommendation is practice! I use the Kaplan book, GRE book, MCAT book, and 101 passages book to practice for this section.The MCAT book is extremely useful because it is a lot harder than the PCAT reading section and it allows you to practice time management. Another recommendation is to PRETEND that you are interested in the passage so that your mind does not get bored and lose focus. I really loathe reading astronomy and social science passages, so I have to force myself to endure through it. :sleep:

Disclaimer: I know that these strategies might not work for everyone, since we all have different learning styles. I usually read through the passage ONCE thoroughly. Don’t skim it because you have to waste time reading through the passage again if you did not catch the main idea the first time. I also read the questions beforehand so I can anticipate what sort of things I need to be on the watch for. UNDERLINING important concepts in the passage is very useful because you can refer back to that later.

The easiest type of questions that you should always answer first is the “what does this word mean?” They even underline the word in bold for you. On the PCAT, they had one of these types of questions per every passage. The hardest type of question is: what can you infer from this passage or what would the author of agree with?

QUANTITATIVE:
Estimated time studying: 1 day
Strategy: Use the Kaplan book to review basic algebra, geometry, statistics, and calculus. Once again: Practice, practice, and more practice. Brush up on your adding, multiplying, dividing skills because you cannot use a calculator on the test. Use the GRE book/5 PCAT test. Ignore the trigonometry questions on the GRE books. The calculus section is very easy to me. Just know your basic differentiation, integration, limits, how to find the area under a curve between two points, and Le Hospital’s rule.

The quantitative section during my PCAT was extremely difficult, possibly because I was underestimating it. It was the last section so I ran out of mental juju, and my mind was getting slower and slower. I recommend bring an energy bar, banana, and something to drink so that you have energy in the end. The main strategy here is to skip around and find problems you can do CORRECTLY. Find all the problems with “solve for X” and “what is the differentiation of this” and do them. Skip lengthy problems with a lot of reading (statistics/probability questions). Concentrate on getting more problems CORRECTLY than trying answer everything.

WRITING:
Time spent studying: 0days
Honestly I did not study this section, I ran out of time so I decided to wing it. It is actually not too bad. You will have to write 2 essay prompts (one will be experimental, so it won’t even be graded). The essay prompts are very easy: Propose a solution to (blank). You will have to write fast (30 minutes per essay). I also advise to make an outline before you begin writing to make your essay more structuralized and concise.

I use this very simple essay guideline:
Introduction: Tell them a little bit more about the problem. In the thesis mention multiple solutions to this problem.
Body 1: solution 1
Body 2: solution 2
Body 3: solution 3 (if you want to write more)
Conclusion: Summarize your whole essay.

SUGGESTIONS BEFORE THE TEST:
1) Eat a big breakfast! I only had a bagel and that was a bad idea. The test was 8am-1pm, and during the last section (Math), I literally ran out of steam.

2) Print a map of the campus of your testing center. Also print the directions to the nearest payable parking structure. Get there early because they could decide to reassign you to a different building based on your last name.

3) Bring food, water, lots of pencils, your registration paper, a watch for time, and 2 IDs.

4) Go to the bathroom before the test, just in case you decide to soil in your pants during the exam. :laugh:

5) RELAX and stop worrying. You can worry about the results after you leave!

What do you mean it's FREE at barnes & noble/borders????

I think the OP just meant to go to Barnes and Nobles and study there where you can read through a variety of study materials.

As someone who had to take the test 3 times to finally achieve a good composite (86) with a 95 in chemistry I can tell you what worked for me. After taking the prereqs and reading through KAPLAN multiply times I still did poorly. On my third attempt instead of wasting time tying to memorize random facts, I only worked practice tests. You should know the material by now so try to find a practice test which not only gives you the answers but explains them as well. The new PCAT book by REA was extremely helpful for this. Also make SURE YOU BUY THE OFFICIAL PRACTICE TESTS FROM PEARSON. They were extremely helpful with seeing what areas I was lacking in.

Make sure you relax when taking the test and take it at a time when you are not stressed out by any other classes. GOODLUCK

I think the OP just meant to go to Barnes and Nobles and study there where you can read through a variety of study materials.

As someone who had to take the test 3 times to finally achieve a good composite (86) with a 95 in chemistry I can tell you what worked for me. After taking the prereqs and reading through KAPLAN multiply times I still did poorly. On my third attempt instead of wasting time tying to memorize random facts, I only worked practice tests. You should know the material by now so try to find a practice test which not only gives you the answers but explains them as well. The new PCAT book by REA was extremely helpful for this. Also make SURE YOU BUY THE OFFICIAL PRACTICE TESTS FROM PEARSON. They were extremely helpful with seeing what areas I was lacking in.

Make sure you relax when taking the test and take it at a time when you are not stressed out by any other classes. GOODLUCK

What is the REA?

Where can you get the official practice tests?

thanks for the tip.

I'm considering buying every pcat study guide available and just study off that for a month.
How's that.
Is collin's self study guide worth the 325?