Jun 7, 2013
Status
Hey everyone,

I just took the PCAT November 8th and my preliminary is the following:

Verbal: 401/49% (Embarrassing)
Biology: 418/74% (Very Disappointed)
Reading Comp: 402/54% (Also Embarrassing)
QA: 416/77% (Should have been better)
Chemistry: 449/97% (Shocked!!)
Composite: 417/81% (Amazed)

Will it matter that two of the subsections on the PCAT were in the 50s despite the 81 composite?

I went to 2 different universities and just graduated this past May with a BS in Biochemistry (Cum Laude Honors):
Overall GPA: 3.49
Science GPA: 3.58

I went to school in Florida for 2 semesters which is what brought down my GPA. At the time I was more interested in going to the beach than going to class. They were both 10 minutes away so I always decided to go to the beach. I do regret going to school down there but it is part of what makes me who I am today. I have been working at a local manufacturing pharmacy for 4 years now. I worked part time during school and started full time once I graduated. I have over 2 years of research experience at my school's medical and pharmacy schools. I have been award a grant for my project and presented my research at multiple seminars and symposiums. I also have several strong LORs from former professors, PIs, and pharmacists/bosses.
Now the problem is that during my time in Florida, I was arrested for marijuana possession. Long story short, my roommate had a warrant for his arrest and when they came to arrest him, the cops found pot in my room and I was arrested for possession. Due to my arrest, I was suspended from school for the spring and summer semesters. I then returned to class for the following fall semester and then after the semester I transferred to the university I graduated from. Since this was my first offense I went into "pre-trial diversion" which consisted of drug classes, weekly drug tests, community service, and probation. After successfully completing the requirements, the state dismissed the charges and everything has since been expunged. There is no arrest record, no charges against me, and no conviction. So nothing will appear during my background check. But due to my suspension, I had to report this on my pharmcas application. This incident was an eye opener and I have learned a great deal from it. I believe everything happens for a reason and this has only made me a stronger person. I have never been in trouble before this incident and have worked my ass off to bounce back from it. I know it will come up in every interview (if I get any) and I have nothing to hide and will tell the truth about what happened. I take 100% responsibility for my actions and allowing myself to be in that situation. I am just worried that the suspension will kill my application and it will get tossed during the initial screening. Does anyone have any insight with similar situations? I am looking for any advice for how to spin this situation to work in my favor. Thanks in advance for everyone's help and opinions.

Sep 7, 2013
Status
Pharmacy Student
Hey everyone,

Will it matter that two of the subsections on the PCAT were in the 50s despite the 81 composite?

I went to 2 different universities and just graduated this past May with a BS in Biochemistry (Cum Laude Honors):

I went to school in Florida for 2 semesters which is what brought down my GPA. At the time I was more interested in going to the beach than going to class. They were both 10 minutes away so I always decided to go to the beach. I do regret going to school down there but it is part of what makes me who I am today. I have been working at a local manufacturing pharmacy for 4 years now. I worked part time during school and started full time once I graduated. I have over 2 years of research experience at my school's medical and pharmacy schools. I have been award a grant for my project and presented my research at multiple seminars and symposiums. I also have several strong LORs from former professors, PIs, and pharmacists/bosses.
Now the problem is that during my time in Florida, I was arrested for marijuana possession. Long story short, my roommate had a warrant for his arrest and when they came to arrest him, the cops found pot in my room and I was arrested for possession. Due to my arrest, I was suspended from school for the spring and summer semesters. I then returned to class for the following fall semester and then after the semester I transferred to the university I graduated from. Since this was my first offense I went into "pre-trial diversion" which consisted of drug classes, weekly drug tests, community service, and probation. After successfully completing the requirements, the state dismissed the charges and everything has since been expunged. There is no arrest record, no charges against me, and no conviction. So nothing will appear during my background check. But due to my suspension, I had to report this on my pharmcas application. This incident was an eye opener and I have learned a great deal from it. I believe everything happens for a reason and this has only made me a stronger person. I have never been in trouble before this incident and have worked my ass off to bounce back from it. I know it will come up in every interview (if I get any) and I have nothing to hide and will tell the truth about what happened. I take 100% responsibility for my actions and allowing myself to be in that situation. I am just worried that the suspension will kill my application and it will get tossed during the initial screening. Does anyone have any insight with similar situations? I am looking for any advice for how to spin this situation to work in my favor. Thanks in advance for everyone's help and opinions.
From what I've heard, as long as you are honest and straightforward in your application about this, then they will not hold it against you. Just be honest and tell them exactly what you say here! We are all young and make mistakes but it's something you've learned from! Good luck!

Amicable Angora

Lagomorpha
5+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2012
Status
Pharmacist
Hey everyone,

Your grades are solid enough for mid tier schools.

Regarding your drug use, it may pop up during interviews; this is something you should explain, only if asked if the time comes.

Aug 21, 2013
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
They will definitely be able to see m this, as I am guessing your school made a record of this. That being said I really don't think pot is a big deal to Pharmacy schools especially since criminal charges were dismissed. It would have been a lot worse had it been a plagiarism incident instead per say. Like Amicable said only explain if it comes up.

Mar 4, 2012
Durham, North Carolina
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
it's something already happened. Don't sweat and move forward.

arri

5+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2012
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Hey everyone,

You poor thing....you definitely got stuck in a crappy situation. I understand why you're worried ESPECIALLY because of all the questions regarding the background checks which include "have you ever been convicted of illegal substances etc...) Your stats are high enough to get into a school, but that conviction is a pretty big red flag :/ I think if you're honest, and explain in the explanation boxes what you have learned from the situation and how it made you a stronger person, I think they will like that.

Playing devil's advocate here....the big unfortunate thing is the fact that you're applying to PHARMACY schools and they're so big on illegal substance abuse...The best shot you have is just to explain HOW the situation made you stronger as an individual and a positive thing that I see, is that you haven't been convicted of anything before - so that works to your advantage. I think some admissions committees would find your story inspirational, and I'm sure there are also other schools who view it on the opposing end of the spectrum.

I definitely think you should research this topic a bit more to formulate a professional and wholeheartedly response to the matter - if & when asked about it during an interview / as well as in the explanation on your applications.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!!! I'm also currently in the application cycle. :) And hey, we were all young & stupid, and have made some mistakes...the important thing is that we LEARN from those mistakes!! :)

PS. Considering you have 4 years experience working at a pharmacy....AND your pharmacy didn't let you go when you got arrested, I think you should be fine for pharmacy schools.