My Success Story!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rocketbooster

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, everyone, some of you may recognize me. Not sure or not. I am sure some of you may recognize me from the MCAT forum over this last spring. Well, I just got accepted into med school, yes an MD one, through EDP. I'd like to keep the school anonymous, though haha.

So, you want to know my stats? Okay.

3.63 CGPA
3.58 SGPA
MCAT (here's the kicker):
#1 = 8, 10, 8 R = 26R Spring 08
#2 = 8, 7, 9 Q = 24Q Summer 08
#3 = 8, 8, 10 Q = 26Q Spring 09
My school takes the highest subscores (which is BS I know haha), so for them I had 8, 10, 10 R = 28R.

I applied early and broadly last year to tons of schools. Only heard back from my state school and got waitlisted. There averages are only 3.7 and 28-29 (that probably gave away the school haha), so the first year I applied with 27R and 3.63/3.58.

I retook my MCAT for a 3rd time in the spring. This is where some of you may recognize me from the MCAT forum. I did all this crazy TBR practice, a few thousand of practice questions, etc. and got my practice test average up from high 20s to mid-30s. I thought I'd get mid-30s for sure...WRONG. I somehow got a 26 again. I was PISSED, SCARED, and thought I was DOOMED.

So, I gave it all I got and reapplied to my state school but did so through EDP this year. My main hole in my application was my lack of volunteering in college. It was quite clear because all my interviewers wrote in their notes "little to no volunteering." Fortunately, all I did last year was volunteer. I volunteered fulltime, no pay, for a year all in the clinical setting. That was the main difference in my application for this year.

My interviews also went amazingly well this year. Last year, I was a bit nervous and knew I messed up. This year, the interviewer left with saying "I think you'll do very well." That made me pretty confident.

Anyways, I just got an email from the school and was accepted EDP!! So, I just wanted to share this story with you all. You sub-30 MCATers CAN make it! And just to be clear, I am not a URM, older applicant, or anything. I am 22 and a reapplicant.

So, NEVER give up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALSO, I'D LIKE TO THANK LizzyM FOR HELPING ME OVER THESE LAST 2 YEARS. SHE IS AMAZING AND COULD NOT BEEN ACCEPTED WITHOUT HER. BELIEVE ME. FOLLOW EVERYTHING SHE TELLS YOU!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats, Rocketbooster. Thanks for sharing your story. Your persistence and determination paid off.

Congrats.
I think this shows how much importance that many med schools place on actual clinical experience. What the OP did shows he/she is willing to give up money and time to get more clinical experience, and the experience itself will be useful in getting more insight into what doctors actually do day to day.