My test date is sept 7th and I am thinking about canceling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunrat39

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I applied to take the September 7th exam and well, let's just say I don't believe I am ready. I have already applied to take the test and I am wondering if canceling my test date (at least 14 days) will leave a mark? Meaning, will med school know or see that I decided to cancel my test date?

Also, I read its not advisable to void your test after taking it. I thought about doing this but I read that it is a big no-no. Can anyone chime in on that? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Voiding your test isn't recommended because people are often terrible judges at how they did (just look at any post-MCAT thread on here to see what I mean). Chances are you did on par with your average, but a lot of people will think they did badly and consider voiding, thus wasting $240 and several more weeks or months of their lives studying for a retake they may very well have not actually needed. The only reason you should void is if you ran into a technical problem on the test or you were objectively not up to par that day (took the test sick, sleep deprived, etc).

And no, med schools won't know that you cancelled your test. In fact, I believe they won't even know if you voided a test.

Well, I might just play it and see if I can improve my scores better before the 14 day mark for partial refund. Otherwise, there is no point in going and just voiding it and wasting out the remaining $120.