My UCSF/UCLA update

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hazelmei

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finally got a letter from UCSF last Friday. WEll, I'm an ALTERNATE for UCSF. So I'll be waiting for someone to give up their spot =). I'm holding a spot at UCLA, so if I get into UCSF, then I'll let go of my spot at UCLA =).. that's my update.. GOOD LUCK to everyone =)

hazel

Members don't see this ad.

hey hazelmei, i also got a letter from UCSF saying i'm an alternate..I was just wondering do you know what the chances are of an alternate getting in? For now I am definately going to UCLA almost 99.9% sure now ^_^

I don't remember the EXACT number, but I was told that last year, at UCSF, they went down to approx.17 on the alternate list.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh i hope you guys get into ucsf... hehehe anything to get me into ucla :wink: :p

i was reading the daily bruin (UCLA's newspaper) today, about the NFL draft picks... (thomas was in the first round, and foster was second :confused: ) but I realize I wouldn't know what I'll do not being able to go to our games!!
and there's also bball... not being able to watch Kapono play his last year... :(
4 yrs on the east coast w/o even local tv coverage... that's ultimate hell. (sorry this isn't really dental related).

but I am still 110% content with Columbia :)
(as the stats Regina posted, it has the highest applicant to accept ratio...nothing to be dissapointed about there :D )

hazelmei and ayoon,

sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but in an earlier post (UCSF--second rounds?)... stan and i gave information regarding the UCSF alternate list. i was told by barbra richardson that last year, they had offered a spot to someone who was 47th on their list of 50 alternates. barbra then extended the explanation that those who had held spots at other dental institutions are removed from the alternate list, that's why they were able to offer the spot to the 47th member.

stanford fencer called and made the clarification that it was those who held positions at other "california" institutions who were subsequently removed from the alternate list.

is this not correct, stan?

you guys may want to call barbra's direct line to confirm this information again.

What i heard from the UCSF interview is entirely consistent with what reena has posted. :)

man, that sucks that they remove people from the waiting list that have spots at other CA schools... I mean, I would totally be holding a spot at another school if I hadn't heard from UCSF and then found out I was on the waiting list. At least I would know I had a definite spot somewhere! I think you guys should call Barbra or Carmen and ask them approximately how many people get accepted from the waiting list, and what your chances are. When do the CA dental schools share their info about students who have made deposits? Hazel, ayoon, good luck to you both! :)

isn't it an ongoing sharing process? i heard if u have spots at both uc's u have 3 days to decide....

as long as no one's holding my spot at ucla or u penn, i don't care how many spots they hold j/k :p

actually, i think it's not really cool to be holding two spots at once cause other people haven't gotten in anywhere and you're taking their chances of going to dental school away...and even if you do decline some schools later...the anxiety and the waiting sucks for those who haven't gotten in.

I am proud that I am only holding one spot :)

OH NO! I thought that I would be "in" because I'm #1 on the alternate list! So even though I'm first on the alternate list, I can be removed from the list?!? oh my goodness! I think I'm going to have a heart attack! I tried callling Barbra and the admissions people but no answer! I will call again early tomorrow =( GOOD LUCK to Ayoon and me =) thanks everyone for the INFO =)

hazel

hazelmei,
don't worry i think they'll let u go only if you have started school in Ca already... since ucla starts after ucsf, i think your chances of getting into ucsf is really high :) can i have your spot at ucla when you get into ucsf? :wink: :p hehe
but i think once u get into ucsf, you have to decline ucla w/in 3 days...(but u might want to check this WHEN you get into ucsf)

AYOON what number are you?!

star

Hi again everyone =) If you are an alternate, you only get bypassed IF YOU ARE REGISTERED at another school. Having a deposit at another school IS NOT considered as being registered. So ayoon, we are fine :clap:

stargirl, my spot at UCLA is yours if UCSF calls me. :)

I'm glad that's all cleared up... Thanks everyone!

hazel

hey hazelmei, my spot at ucsf is #23, i think, so i'm not keeping my hopes to high for ucsf!
ucla here i come ^^

hazelmei and ayoon,

that is such great news!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

i'm sorry for all the unwanted confusion i caused. :(

in any case, i sincerely hope i will be seeing you two in the fall!

reena

You folks are making too much of the issue. If you petition the dean(S) of admissions of the school(s) at which you have been "wait listed" and ask that your status be classified as "viable infinatus" within 72 hours of the first full moon that occurred at least 3 days after the first susnset following your formal notification of acceptance at another school, then registation at a school will not impact your "wait listed" status if said dean(s) recommend to the full admissions committee(s) that you be classified "viable infinatus" within 13 working days of having received your petition but in no case later than the day closest to memorial day on which the highest tide of the incompassing week occurrs.

Groundhog -- are you in school already? Or where are you heading next year?

Mr Fencer,
I'm 57 years old. So, if the maximum life span for humans is 120 years, I'm about three years away from the entrance to the downslope of life at best. I was at the baseball game on Sunday and observed four old geezers who all did great impersonations of the main characters in "Grumpy Old Men." Geez, they acted like dressed up gorillas who were way past their prime. I told the wife to shoot me if I get to such a stage in life.

hehehe.. thanks for the new info groundhog ..very funny :) ...hope to see all of you-- reena, stan, ayoon, and lin at UCSF :D

hazel