My undergrad GPA is low but I am doing well in PostBacc what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PostBaccEngineer

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I got my undergrad degree in 2017 in Engineering and my GPA was ~3.1 which is obviously not great at all. I started a formal post bacc program in spring of 2018 and so far my GPA is around 3.75. I also have accumulated a lot of volunteer and research experience under my belt in that time. I am still a year out but I am wondering if I were able to maintain that postbacc GPA and do well on the MCATs would I have decent chances to get into an MD/DO program? How do admissions look at postbacc grades? do they consider them more highly than undergrad since they are more recent and relevant? Appreciate any insight, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I got my undergrad degree in 2017 in Engineering and my GPA was ~3.1 which is obviously not great at all. I started a formal post bacc program in spring of 2018 and so far my GPA is around 3.75. I also have accumulated a lot of volunteer and research experience under my belt in that time. I am still a year out but I am wondering if I were able to maintain that postbacc GPA and do well on the MCATs would I have decent chances to get into an MD/DO program? How do admissions look at postbacc grades? do they consider them more highly than undergrad since they are more recent and relevant? Appreciate any insight, thanks!

Your postbac gpa and sgpa is listed on a separate line on AMCAS, so improvement will be noticed. It won’t cancel out your cGPA, as that is one of the way schools compare all applicants, but there are schools that reward intervention. A strong performance on the MCAT may help you be competitive for lower tier MD. A 505-510 MCAT would be competitive for DO.

Reactions: 1 user