my venting/rant/...just need an outlet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jesse14

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let me start off with a question: Do the people on this forum generally like to study? I mean, i do it between 3-6 hours a day and i hate every minute of it to be honest. I'm in class or lab like 5-7 hrs a day and then i need to unwind, but do i have time? No! cause the amount of info we get per day is enough to last a month in undergrad!

Next topic: Professors who make easy courses hard... we have this class called professional practice where we talk about the rules and laws associated with practice. The material is nothing difficulult, but our prof LOVES making insaine exams that require WORD for WORD knowledge of the notes.. no exceptions. It's rediculous.... i'm getting a 60 in a class i should easily be getting a 90 in!!

My 3rd and final concern: Is it normal to question your abilities? Today we got an exam grade back and the class average was 85%... my grade was 75%... that's quite a bit lower then the average and i know i study probably more then two thirds of my class. Could it be that due to the higher caliber of student, my normal "A" grades just won't happen like they did in undergrad? I don't know, i just hate putting in more effort then others and getting worse results! Does anyone think it's just a flaw in my thinking? Should i not concern myself with other peoples grades? Should i simply do my best and leave it at that? It's hard to be around my classmates when i know they all did so much better then me...kind of makes me feel inferior i guess.Any advice?

Thanks for reading :)

Members don't see this ad.

Let me start off with a question: Do the people on this forum generally like to study? I mean, i do it between 3-6 hours a day and i hate every minute of it to be honest. I'm in class or lab like 5-7 hrs a day and then i need to unwind, but do i have time? No! cause the amount of info we get per day is enough to last a month in undergrad!

Next topic: Professors who make easy courses hard... we have this class called professional practice where we talk about the rules and laws associated with practice. The material is nothing difficulult, but our prof LOVES making insaine exams that require WORD for WORD knowledge of the notes.. no exceptions. It's rediculous.... i'm getting a 60 in a class i should easily be getting a 90 in!!

My 3rd and final concern: Is it normal to question your abilities? Today we got an exam grade back and the class average was 85%... my grade was 75%... that's quite a bit lower then the average and i know i study probably more then two thirds of my class. Could it be that due to the higher caliber of student, my normal "A" grades just won't happen like they did in undergrad? I don't know, i just hate putting in more effort then others and getting worse results! Does anyone think it's just a flaw in my thinking? Should i not concern myself with other peoples grades? Should i simply do my best and leave it at that? It's hard to be around my classmates when i know they all did so much better then me...kind of makes me feel inferior i guess.Any advice?

I felt the same way for the first few weeks. I think the only way to deal with it is to do your best and leave it at that. It still bugs the heck out of me when I score below the average, but I just have to realize I am in Medical School with a bunch of really smart people.

I have learned that stress can really take a toll on you. Just try to relax, do the best you can, and it'll all work out.

Sorry, kind of lame advice. More advice I have is to not ask friends for their scores, that can create tension and stuff.

I felt the same way for the first few weeks. I think the only way to deal with it is to do your best and leave it at that. It still bugs the heck out of me when I score below the average, but I just have to realize I am in Medical School with a bunch of really smart people.

I have learned that stress can really take a toll on you. Just try to relax, do the best you can, and it'll all work out.

Sorry, kind of lame advice. More advice I have is to not ask friends for their scores, that can create tension and stuff.

thanks for the reassurance...i'll be ok is my new mantra

Members don't see this ad :)
1. I hate studying. Passionately. More and more each minute I have to waste my life trying to memorize detail after detail. This hatred is somewhat stiffled by: not going to class (you save sooo much time this way), making sure I have more than adequate sleep/social/husband time or I hate school even more, and taking frequent study breaks. I've never felt like I was ADD until med school b/c I just can't focus for more than about an hour, and usually no longer than about 20 minutes. So I study 20 min, 5 min break, repeat. Unfortunately my self-control is a little weak and half the time it turns into 20 min study, 20 min break... I find maybe 20-35% of the information that we learn to be interesting and it is only interesting the first time I read/hear it. After I've had to go through it again and again I couldn't care less anymore.

2. Professors often make something that seems simple even more complicated. Sometimes this is because they are a *holes, but sometimes it is because the subject is more intricate than it seems and requires further depth than originally perceived. Either way, there is very little we can get away wth just sorta understanding in med school.

3. I question my abilities constantly. Even when I beat my expectations (which is rare anyways, I am almost always scoring right on the average), I still deeply question my abilities to apply this knowledge in the real practice of medicine. I want to go into EM and have recently started to question my confidence in having life or death situations being my responsibility - everyone looking at me to tell them what to do. :eek: I can only hope that ultimately it all comes together, and since it seems to do just that for most people, I try not to spend too much time thinking about it. Think about all the doctors (those who have finished residency/fellowship) you've met / worked with - have any of them seemed insecure in their doctoring abilities? I have worked with quite a few and not one of them has ever gone "Holy CRAP I don't know what I'm doing here." If you really are a lousy doc, someone is going to inform you of this during your clinical rotations. You have to exhibit a certain amount of capability in order to graduate / get a residency, so keep in mind if they are willing to take you as a resident, they think you can do this.

Good luck. First year is sooo much harder as far as stress is concerned (IMHO). Second year seems so much less stressful (or maybe I just care less?). I don't know if this is a trend that continues with time.

Let me start off with a question: Do the people on this forum generally like to study?

Next topic: Professors who make easy courses hard...

My 3rd and final concern: Is it normal to question your abilities?

1. I hate studying. Passionately. More and more each minute I have to waste my life trying to memorize detail after detail. This hatred is somewhat stiffled by: not going to class (you save sooo much time this way), making sure I have more than adequate sleep/social/husband time or I hate school even more, and taking frequent study breaks. I've never felt like I was ADD until med school b/c I just can't focus for more than about an hour, and usually no longer than about 20 minutes. So I study 20 min, 5 min break, repeat. Unfortunately my self-control is a little weak and half the time it turns into 20 min study, 20 min break... I find maybe 20-35% of the information that we learn to be interesting and it is only interesting the first time I read/hear it. After I've had to go through it again and again I couldn't care less anymore.

2. Professors often make something that seems simple even more complicated. Sometimes this is because they are a *holes, but sometimes it is because the subject is more intricate than it seems and requires further depth than originally perceived. Either way, there is very little we can get away wth just sorta understanding in med school.

3. I question my abilities constantly. Even when I beat my expectations (which is rare anyways, I am almost always scoring right on the average), I still deeply question my abilities to apply this knowledge in the real practice of medicine. I want to go into EM and have recently started to question my confidence in having life or death situations being my responsibility - everyone looking at me to tell them what to do. :eek: I can only hope that ultimately it all comes together, and since it seems to do just that for most people, I try not to spend too much time thinking about it. Think about all the doctors (those who have finished residency/fellowship) you've met / worked with - have any of them seemed insecure in their doctoring abilities? I have worked with quite a few and not one of them has ever gone "Holy CRAP I don't know what I'm doing here." If you really are a lousy doc, someone is going to inform you of this during your clinical rotations. You have to exhibit a certain amount of capability in order to graduate / get a residency, so keep in mind if they are willing to take you as a resident, they think you can do this.

Good luck. First year is sooo much harder as far as stress is concerned (IMHO). Second year seems so much less stressful (or maybe I just care less?). I don't know if this is a trend that continues with time.

Thanks for the amazing reply! It helped me realize that other people are in the same mind set as me (hates studying, extremely anal profs, inadequite feelings etc). I just keep telling myself that i will get through it and will be just fine in the end. It just comes down to realizing, and seeing, that there is light at the end of this tunnel....just kind of hard right now and requires constant reassuarnce i guess

It's totally normal to question your abilities...I would even go so far as to say it's healthy. Don't let it affect you too much, though, because it can become harmful quickly. The summer before I started med school, I had such feelings of inadequacy and fear that I would get anxiety attacks almost nightly and I had to go talk to a professional about it. First year, it got worse for a while before it got any better. It seemed I was surrounded by people who didn't have to study much to get honors, which definitely wasn't me. But eventually, I just decided I was going to lead a balanced life and just try to do the best I could and I was a much happier person after that.

So just try to do the best you can and don't worry about what everyone else is doing. I've also realized that how you do the first year (or two) is not representative of the kind of doctor you'll be; heck, it's not even representative of the grades you'll get 3rd year. Your school let you in because they believed in you, the least you can do is believe in yourself.

It's pretty normal to question your abilities at least once or twice along this road. Half of all med students will end up in the bottom half of their med school class, and most of these folks were in the top half of their undergrad class. The competition is stronger, the expectations higher. But admissions tends to be pretty good about selecting for folks who will thrive in this career, so if you got in you are going to be fine.

I do think, however, that to go down this road you sort of have to enjoy studying/learning at least a little bit. The amount of information you are expected to know is probably larger than many fields, and the expectation is that you will be doing some reading on patients ailments throughout your career. So while most of us probably could list a dozen things we'd rather be doing than studying, most of us have resolved that this is going to be a part of our lives for the foreseeable future.

And there is no such word as "rediculous". It is "ridiculous". This is one of the often repeated errors that shows up on SDN way way too much. Lose it like a bad cold.

The bottom line is that you are in a class full of exceptional students. As others have said, pure mathematics will guarantee around half of these students will score below average on any given exam. Don't let it get you down. You are still an exceptional student. Think about it this way. The vast majority of people in the world couldn't even hope to pass medical school. You are still on top of the heap if you are succeeding.

As far as hating studying goes, try to make it a little more fun for yourself. Try to study in a way that makes it more interesting for you. Make up games for yourself to play. Reward yourself with breaks and time off from your work. If you are studying in 5 hour blocks you probably aren't being effective for a good part of that time. Try to limit yourself to 1-2 hour blocks and then take some time off to do stuff you enjoy. Read a good book, watch Celebrity Rehab, or go for a run, and then get back to work.

I usually like reading through the material for the first or second time. You learn a lot and it's cool to understand the concepts.

However, reading it for the 20th time right before exams, trying to memorize every last detail that you skipped the other 19 times you read it because "it's a stupid minor detail" is not fun.

I just wanted to chime in and repeat that everything you're going through is totally normal. It may not be much comfort now, but at some point you will get used to it and it won't bother you as much. At some point (early 2nd year for me) I just got into a rhythm, and I didn't worry as much. Exams were stressful, but I wasn't a nervous wreck. Just keep trying to stay motivated, and remember to take some time for yourself.

Specifically about studying, have you always been the kind of student who studies for hours every day? Maybe you are overdoing it. You might be able to learn better if you focus your studying more and spend a shorter amount of time each day. If it seems like your grades aren't reflecting the effort you're putting into your classes, it might be a good idea to sit down with someone who specializes in study skills and really evaluate your strategy.

Also, don't listen to everyone who says don't go to class. I skipped class very often first year and it really didn't work for me. When I really hit my stride (improved grades and less stress) 2nd year I was going to class every day, and studying the week before exams - no day to day studying except homework for small groups if that was required. I'm not saying that will work for everyone, but I'm just saying that depending on how you learn, class isn't necessarily a waste of time. ;)

Try this. Stop going to class, you'll have much more time. :thumbup:
I completely agree. I stopped going, and it was amazing - I had so much more time, I retained more during my study time, and I wasn't forced to try and study while tired after a day full of lectures.

One possible side effect - classmates may regard you as dumb and/or undeserving of the grades you get.

It's pretty normal to question your abilities at least once or twice along this road...
It's totally normal to question your abilities...I would even go so far as to say it's healthy. Don't let it affect you too much, though, because it can become harmful quickly...
I agree here, too. Nobody comes to class or clinicals knowing everything, and so it's ok to not know everything. It's ok to worry, because what we will be doing as residents is important and possibly dangerous. That fear of failure is also a good motivator. Understand these feelings, allow them their place, and use them to push yourself forward, but don't let them rule your life.

...And there is no such word as "rediculous". It is "ridiculous". This is one of the often repeated errors that shows up on SDN way way too much. Lose it like a bad cold.
I actually prefer to use "redonculous" and "ridiculocity" myself.

Hear on SDN is ware I here teh grammar Nazis come out. :laugh:

I actually prefer to use "redonculous" and "ridiculocity" myself.

Hear on SDN is ware I here teh grammar Nazis come out. :laugh:

I generally ignore the typos. But this seems to be a word that so many people misuse, an epidemic on here, that I'm concerned folks don't even know it's wrong. And somebody is going to use it in some important correspondence someday, and have folks think poorly of them (I sure would). Best to end it here. Let this "rediculous" term die a horrible death here once and for all.

Members don't see this ad :)
I generally ignore the typos. But this seems to be a word that so many people misuse, an epidemic on here, that I'm concerned folks don't even know it's wrong. And somebody is going to use it in some important correspondence someday, and have folks think poorly of them (I sure would). Best to end it here. Let this "rediculous" term die a horrible death here once and for all.
Dude, while I agree with you - poor spelling ability identifies itself - I'm just poking pun :)

before I got a mac (with automatic spell check for everything you type) I was guilty of all the above, plus:

independant
reccomendation
definately
guaruntee

sad 'cause I used to teach English! (albeit in an ESL setting).

definately needs to go, too

definately needs to go, too

Yeah, but I see that more as a typo -- folks are hit or miss on words like that, sometimes typing them correctly, sometimes not. "rediculous" seems to me not to be a typo but simply not actually knowing how to spell the word. Not to mention the irony of how ridiculous it is not to be able to spell ridiculous.

Yeah, but I see that more as a typo -- folks are hit or miss on words like that, sometimes typing them correctly, sometimes not. "rediculous" seems to me not to be a typo but simply not actually knowing how to spell the word. Not to mention the irony of how ridiculous it is not to be able to spell ridiculous.
eh I dunno, "a" isn't particularly close to "i"...I think it's just a commonly misspelled word.

1. I don't mind it, but I know exactly what you're saying about not being able to unwind.

2. Frustrates me to no end.

3. I understand.

Well played OP

Stop comparing yourself to your classmates. Do the best you can and pass everything. In the end, you can only control your destiny and what other people do (or don't do) is of little use to you.

If you can feel inferior, you can feel equal or even superior. You just have to change your thinking. It's good to vent but it's equally good not to give a "rats a-s" too. Run your own race and pat yourself on the back for just crossing the finish line every time. The clock is ticking and soon you will be out of that professor's class and doing something else. The clock never stops and there is always some new challenge in medicine. In the end, you can only do what you can do.

I completely hated MSI. MSII was far better- I did not mind reading and studying items that were clinically relevant and OMG interesting to read!!:laugh:

MSIII-- way better. So just hang in there. DO your best. Sometimes it sucks when you feel like you are putting in way more effort than your classmates but they are doing better on tests. Esoteric questions cooked up by PhDs do not always translate to good scores on standardized tests and shelf exams. Focus on learning and preparing for your clinical rotations and step exams. try to have some fun along the way and not take yourself too seriously or you will go nuts.:eek:

I still feel a lot of those things quite frequently as a second year. :(

Why do you hate studying? You kind of know what you are signing up for when your applying to med school. You know you will first be studying about cells/molecular things then going general. If that kind of stuff/medicine doesn't interest you why do it? I understand that one factor that is bothersome is the time you guys put into studying. Because you go to school, then you come home, study and sleep, you feel like ****. But still, if you enjoy learning about it, it shouldn't bother you this much. I think if it interests you, you would want to spend as much time as possible with it. I also think learning is undervalued in society. People make it sound like work. Philosophy is uninteresting, but I like that im learning about it. It expanded some of my views about society.

Why do you hate studying? You kind of know what you are signing up for when your applying to med school. You know you will first be studying about cells/molecular things then going general. If that kind of stuff/medicine doesn't interest you why do it? I understand that one factor that is bothersome is the time you guys put into studying. Because you go to school, then you come home, study and sleep, you feel like ****. But still, if you enjoy learning about it, it shouldn't bother you this much. I think if it interests you, you would want to spend as much time as possible with it. I also think learning is undervalued in society. People make it sound like work. Philosophy is uninteresting, but I like that im learning about it. It expanded some of my views about society.
:laugh: Seriously?

Yeah I feel the same way, I wasn't doing as well as I was used to and I was studying really hard. Then I stopped going to class pretty much entirely, I only go to POM and any class that won't be recorded. Volia! I started doing better and feeling happier because I now had time to do things to relieve stress like go to the gym, or watch a full movie in the middle of the day. Things I took forgranted in undergrad. The only downside is yeah the class-goers harass me like I'm not going because I"m not social or something. Well seeing as how we get in a full 5 mins of socializing for every 3 hrs of lecture I figure losing 25 minutes of chatter with classmates is worth my sanity. When they catch on I'm sure they'll feel the same. Other than that just relax with it. Teachers are *******s, especially medical teachers since most are PhDs who have NO understanding of what we will be doing as physicians. They need to prove to themselves how gosh darn smart they are hence the ridiculous tests that only they could complete perfectly. Do what you can, and get out. Med school is school soon it will be just another memory like middle school and braces.

Why do you hate studying? You kind of know what you are signing up for when your applying to med school. You know you will first be studying about cells/molecular things then going general. If that kind of stuff/medicine doesn't interest you why do it?

As your status is "pre-med" i'm going to go out on a limb and suggest you don't know what medical school is like. even if you take 20 credits a semester as an undergrad.

and most of us came to medical school to learn how to be doctors, not to memorize the Krebs cycle. Only md/phds try to connect the two.

And there is no such word as "rediculous". It is "ridiculous". This is one of the often repeated errors that shows up on SDN way way too much. Lose it like a bad cold.

Not to be a dick, but generally punctuation goes inside quotation marks--unless you're British and follow those rules.

grammer dumb sumtimez

As your status is "pre-med" i'm going to go out on a limb and suggest you don't know what medical school is like. even if you take 20 credits a semester as an undergrad.

and most of us came to medical school to learn how to be doctors, not to memorize the Krebs cycle. Only md/phds try to connect the two.

So far I'm in the "well I signed up for this mentality" whenever I wonder why I'm doing this. And memorizing this crap in medical school is a lot better than memorizing a lot watered down version in undergrad.

And OP, yes, it's ok to question your abilities. Look, we're in the major leagues now. We were the brightest in high school, among the brightest in college, and now we're here. Some of us have to get poor grades. But we're in the major leagues. Everybody can't hit .400.

Who let the pre-med in here?

I totally agree with the OP, studying is one step above having teeth pulled w/o anesthesia. I have to say though, that it is a pretty good feeling once you know the material backwards and forwards. I hated studying the muscles of the forearm, but it was awesome when I was working out and could visualize each of the muscles while lifting.

You're right. I don't know how it's like. Im just trying to understand how it is like being a medical student so I don't go into medicine feeling like **** for the next decade. I didn't realize that there are so many medical students who hate 1st and 2nd year. I know it seems useless for future doctors but these are the basics you're learning. Don't you think it's worth learning them? The Krebs cycle is probably worthless information to doctors but it might good to know what the medication you are giving is doing to the body at the molecular level.

The only downside is yeah the class-goers harass me like I'm not going because I"m not social or something. Well seeing as how we get in a full 5 mins of socializing for every 3 hrs of lecture I figure losing 25 minutes of chatter with classmates is worth my sanity. When they catch on I'm sure they'll feel the same.
Yep - I felt like I got a lot of s*it for not going after the first block in first year. Now in second year, hardly anyone goes anymore. Some people catch on quicker than others ;). Well, and of course some weirdos like going to class :p.

You're right. I don't know how it's like. Im just trying to understand how it is like being a medical student so I don't go into medicine feeling like **** for the next decade. I didn't realize that there are so many medical students who hate 1st and 2nd year. I know it seems useless for future doctors but these are the basics you're learning. Don't you think it's worth learning them? The Krebs cycle is probably worthless information to doctors but it might good to know what the medication you are giving is doing to the body at the molecular level.

:laugh: Not remotely in any way shape or form (in my med student opinion which is << a real live doctor opinion). I came to medical school to be a doctor, not because I like science.