DREDAY

10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2004
Status
Because I am very undecided on what school to attend, I decided to go to Loma Linda yesterday, talk to the students and some of the faculty. It was a very good experience and I got some very good insight on what the school is about. I talked to about 10 students. One of those 10 students told me to attend UOP instead of Loma Linda. The other ones seemed pretty happy with Loma Linda. I spoke most extensively to 2 of those students who seemed to be happy with Loma Linda for about 1 hour. Everyone I spoke with was very very friendy. The two girls I spoke with seemed to have the same background and mindset as myself. They study hard and like to occasionally party. They told me that out of the 80 or so students in their class, 30 of them established good friendship and partied on the weekends (which includes drinking). They told me that the rest of the students were also cool and friendly but they were pretty religious, so they would not participate in the partying as much.

They confirmed the cameras in the classroom and the church service on Wednesdays. But in reference to the service on Wednesdays, alot of students sign in for each other when they cant make the service. Also they said that in terms of clinical, there is no school as good as Loma Linda. That despite all drinking/smoking restrictions they had, the clinical experience that they acquire is amazing and well worth it. They went to a summit retreat in San Francisco where several other students from different schools were and they said that when they compared the clinical experience of Loma Linda students to that of other schools, it was unmatched. They also said that UCLA, UCSF, UOP and USC students and faculty were trying to push for a 1-year residency requirement in the state of California. Loma Linda feels it does not need a1-year residency requirements because they feel prepared once they finish dental school.

The Loma Linda students also told me that on average they don’t score as well on national boards part 1 as the other California schools. They said that several students in the class however, do get in the 90s. So it’s very dependant on the student and their study habit. In terms of national boards part 2 however, Loma Linda consistently gets the highest scores in the country. So I guess its true that Loma Linda students are the most clinically prepared students when they come out of dental school. The clinical preparedness comes from the numerous volunteer hours required by the dental students to provide to the SDA clinics that travel abroad world wide. This summer for example students have the option of traveling to clinics in 10 different countries. Those countries include, FIJI, South Africa, Guatemala, Philipines, China, Armenia and others which I cannot recall. 2/3 of the cost of these trips will be paid for by the school, the other 1/3 the student has to come up with. The trips last 3 weeks and all students I spoke with said it was the most amazing experience in their lives. These trips are available 3-4 times a year, one for each break between quarters.

Another thing that they did not like is the fact that the curriculum only had 1 biochemistry course and that it seemed that it was not enough to prepare them for the boards part 1 which has 30 biochemistry questions. They were bothered by that because the class average was a 50% in the course. The thing the students were really happy with however was the clinical experience they get. By second year the 2 girls I was speaking with had already had many extractions and other procedural experiences under their belts unlike their counterparts at other schools. They get all this clinical experience from abroad volunteering retreats the school offers.

They also said that the friendships they made at the school were lifetime friendships. Everyone there is trustworthy and will bend themselves backwards to help you, especially D2 D3 D4 and faculty. If a student seems to be weak at some point, such as dexterity, a faculty member will make appointments with the person throughout the week to improve the person's skills.

In terms of the story where the medical student got kicked out for playing poker, they said it is an “urban legend.” They said that the guy had a huge party at his place that had to be broken up by helicopters and they lived in the city of Loma Linda where faculty members had been his neighbor. So they said that as long as you keep your drinking indoors and not make too much noise and party too hard in Loma Linda your safe. The girls though, live in Loma Linda, and they have no problems having people over for socials. If you want to feel less paranoid about what you do, you can live in Colton which is 4 miles from campus.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask, as I might have forgotten to write somethings.

jonnytight

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Dre,

very thorough report...thanks for that...now im really in a bind where to choose. :scared:

Does anyone know that matching rates of LLU?

ecrdoubles15

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2004
Status
thanks man. that helped. in terms of biochemistry, you can just buy a study book and study from that probably. laters.

RiversideS13

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2005
Status
Yes loma linda University rocks!

btw, i thought every dental school students in every dental schools all end up like lifetime friends? because you get to see each other in 4 years. Especially USC, you have to switch study partner every terms or something like that

Biogirl361

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2004
Visit site
Status
RiversideS13 said:
Yes loma linda University rocks!

btw, i thought every dental school students in every dental schools all end up like lifetime friends? because you get to see each other in 4 years. Especially USC, you have to switch study partner every terms or something like that
i'm guessing it's about the same as in high school... people will form their groups and probably be friends with those people for a long time... but i doubt if everyone is friends with everyone forever. just not realistic.
do they really make you have study partners and switch them every semester at usc? what if you don't like studying in pairs/groups? and once you find someone you enjoy studying with shouldn't you stick with them?

RiversideS13

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2005
Status
I forgot the detail but i just remeber basically USC is problem learning based system, which you dont attend class like other school. Instead, they assign you into study group of 12 to 15 people. Every group will have a instructor to answer your question. the way you learn stuffs are all based on clinically research since you are a D1. There is no lecture you have to attend but you and your study partnet have to teach each other. They rotate you every other few monthes or something like that, so you had chance to be hang with everyone in your class.

someone familiar with USC please correct me if i am wrong.

and yes you are correct, it is not really like you always has chance to know the whole class. While my brother at LLU SD, he only has five friends. He refuse to socialize in the class because he said people talk crap alot because they got nothing to do. but also he thinks most of them are wierd...but i am sure everyone has his/her dark side.

and loma linda is a little town, the chance that your neighbor is a staff or a student of LLU is very very high. so you do have to aware your behavior while you are in town.

OP
D

DREDAY

10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2004
Status
RiversideS13 said:
I forgot the detail but i just remeber basically USC is problem learning based system, which you dont attend class like other school. Instead, they assign you into study group of 12 to 15 people. Every group will have a instructor to answer your question. the way you learn stuffs are all based on clinically research since you are a D1. There is no lecture you have to attend but you and your study partnet have to teach each other. They rotate you every other few monthes or something like that, so you had chance to be hang with everyone in your class.

someone familiar with USC please correct me if i am wrong.

and yes you are correct, it is not really like you always has chance to know the whole class. While my brother at LLU SD, he only has five friends. He refuse to socialize in the class because he said people talk crap alot because they got nothing to do. but also he thinks most of them are wierd...but i am sure everyone has his/her dark side.

and loma linda is a little town, the chance that your neighbor is a staff or a student of LLU is very very high. so you do have to aware your behavior while you are in town.

I dont know about people talking crap. From what I understand, the people who dont socialize are the really religious, nice, hard studying ones who would not hurt a fly.

OP
D

DREDAY

10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2004
Status
can anyone give me some input and analysis on my visit to loma linda... thanks.

RiversideS13

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2005
Status
If you think the school is great, then go for it! But i wonder have you speak to other students at other school yet?

I cannot give you input about your visit but i can give you more stupid facts.

Loma Linda is a small town only has one police patrol car.

Loma Linda is a ideal retire city because it has two full size hospital. so there are alot of old people and you need drive carefully.

you cannot build your ideal house in Loma Linda. I knew someone wants to build her house to nice brown color but the city Counselor told the construction company to paint it purple and green instead. they are wierd.

Summer temperature range from 90-110C.

Loma Linda (or the whole lnland empire 909, 951) is very windy

you dont have to worry about that you cannot find parking spot, but it is quite a walk from parking lot to the class room. Motorcycle riding is popular trend among guys.

Also keep in mind no meat serve on campus, bean products made you fart alot (at least me and my friends)

Graduation clinic points requirement is high, and sometime change with very short of notice, many people has to stay 1 or 2 more quaters to finish.

school liberary close every friday 1pm and the whole saturday, open again at sunday 1pm

liberary just right cross street of school of dentistry, 4 stories high.

I think if your class standard is below 75%, they will put you in acadamic Probation. if you get that more then twice, then something not good will happen.

religion classes is pain in the ass

the 76 gas station by Anderson street is the cheapest gas station among that area

there is a 24 hours walmart at about 10 miles away. That is where people hanging out, hmm, not LLU people but wierd and boring town people.

USUaggie

bringing ugly back
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
out fighting foo
Status
Wow, dre I appreciate your homework on the school, now i'm even more excited than before to go there. I would seriously love those travel missions! Fiji? Sweet!

Does anyone know if LLU has a mascot? I miss my cool Umaryland avatar. If there isn't one I'm making one up. Something like the tiger-dogs, you know like the cincinnati bear-cats but cooler.

wessto

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2004
Redlands, CA
todd.wesslen.net
Status
I live in Redlands (which is 5 miles east of loma linda) and will be starting dental school at LLU in september. I wanted to comment here and answer any other questions people may have. I have many friends in dental school and family members who are all alumni...

RiversideS13 said:
If you think the school is great, then go for it! But i wonder have you speak to other students at other school yet?

I cannot give you input about your visit but i can give you more stupid facts.

Loma Linda is a small town only has one police patrol car.
Not so sure about one police car. How do you know this? In any case, there are many LLU veggie cop security cars around. For whatever this is worth...

RiversideS13 said:
Loma Linda is a ideal retire city because it has two full size hospital. so there are alot of old people and you need drive carefully.

you cannot build your ideal house in Loma Linda. I knew someone wants to build her house to nice brown color but the city Counselor told the construction company to paint it purple and green instead. they are wierd.

Summer temperature range from 90-110C.

Loma Linda (or the whole lnland empire 909, 951) is very windy
Although there are a fair number of retired residents of loma linda, there are also a lot of younger people due to the many universities around. It's not windy at all except certain times of the year when the santa ana winds blow. Not a big deal whatsoever.

RiversideS13 said:
you dont have to worry about that you cannot find parking spot, but it is quite a walk from parking lot to the class room. Motorcycle riding is popular trend among guys.

Also keep in mind no meat serve on campus, bean products made you fart alot (at least me and my friends)
Allthough this is true, there are many fast food places to eat within 5 miles. Getting your carne fix is not a problem. Also, as with any place there are plenty of restaurants & grocery stores to go to. Not sure why people make such a big deal about this.

RiversideS13 said:
Graduation clinic points requirement is high, and sometime change with very short of notice, many people has to stay 1 or 2 more quaters to finish.
From those I've talked to, it seems like it is a challenge to get all points, however, it is possible. Everyone I know has finished without staying extra quarters.

RiversideS13 said:
school liberary close every friday 1pm and the whole saturday, open again at sunday 1pm

liberary just right cross street of school of dentistry, 4 stories high.
There are plenty of coffee shops, barnes and noble, etc. around. Also, UCR, Cal State San Bernardino, University of Redlands, are all close and have librarys that should be accessible to use.

RiversideS13 said:
I think if your class standard is below 75%, they will put you in acadamic Probation. if you get that more then twice, then something not good will happen.

religion classes is pain in the ass

the 76 gas station by Anderson street is the cheapest gas station among that area
I think the vallero gas station on waterman is cheaper ;)

RiversideS13 said:
there is a 24 hours walmart at about 10 miles away. That is where people hanging out, hmm, not LLU people but wierd and boring town people.

jk5177

Just Kidding
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Oregon
Status
Dentist
I haven't had the chance to read this, and since I'm not going to LLU for fall; I probably won't read much of it. However, I bet this is a nice thread.