My Vulnerable and Personal Caribbean Medical School Journey (Part 1)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocHopeful1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is for my Pre-Meds and Non-Traditional students considering a Caribbean medical school. Fair warning, this is going to be a long post, but it will be my personal unbiased journey. I have no secret agenda; I am not trying to convince you to do one thing or another. I will be keeping it 100% real. This is NOT going to be a post completely bashing Caribbean schools like I’ve seen a few other toxic posts/comments. But this also won’t be sugar coated, “everything is just fine” post either. But this post will end on a positive note, trust me :)

This is mostly just therapeutic for me, but if that means I’ll be able to help a fellow student with my story, that’s even better. So get out your popcorn and join this roller-coaster of a ride I call my medical school journey lol (if y’all have read my previous comments, you might see some similarities. I just wanted to put all those ideas into one cohesive post)

I just want to start with the fact that no one forced me to do medicine. No family pressure or anything. I didn’t do it for the prestige or money--because let me tell you, those things are NOT worth it for all the struggles and sacrifices I’ve made lol. This becomes important later.

My stats while applying to medical schools were 3.52 GPA and 494 MCAT (sheesh, I know). I had a gut feeling that things may not play out well for me, so I made sure I applied broadly--25 MD schools and 34 DO schools to be exact. My results? I got one interview, for which I was then waitlisted and eventually rejected. At this point, I was getting desperate and I was thinking about Caribbean medical schools. My sdn peeps made it known what their stance was on that (side note: I feel like the harshness around Caribbean medical schools have gone up 10fold since my first ever sdn post years ago; everyone is brutal nowadays lol). I even had some of the OGs like @Lawper @Goro @gyngyn comment on my post saying not to do Caribbean. But like a rebellious teenager, I still did it.............….whoops lol and I had to learn from my mistakes

Here’s where I’m going to get personal and vulnerable with you, and it’s the dumb and unimportant reasons why I chose to go to to a Caribbean medical school. I can only speak for myself but I feel like this might resonate with lots of other students considering the caribbean. It was my impatience and my life timeline. I was so mentally frustrated of having to go to classes and learning about topics that had nothing to do with medicine. I was so hungry to start learning real medicine and I didn't want to delay it any further. But looking back, I could have waited. It would have been a better option.

Along with this impatience, it was my timeline. I just felt myself being more and more "delayed" from my other pre-med peers. Everyone around me was getting accepted to US med schools left and right, and here I am being rejected left and right. It also didn't help that no one would talk about rejections either. Everyone would only talk about all the positive news and it made me feel even more isolated and delayed. Like "am I the only one being rejected?" (When in reality, there were so many others that also did not get accepted but continued with their other non-Carib school options) I had this whole mental checklist of all the things I would do before I turned X years old and it was off to an awful start. So I told myself "why am I delaying medical school when I have an opportunity to start it right away?" And so here I am lol :) And a big reason why I was obsessed with a timeline was because I want to start a family, I want to have kids, I basically want to start my life sooner rather than later. I was comparing my life to other people. I should have realized that each person has a different timeline and I shouldn’t compare myself to my peers.

So adding those pressures on myself, I decided to go to one of the Big 4 schools. I was just an average student once I got there. I struggled in the beginning of medical school because I had NO clue how to study for such a massive amount of material in a relatively short amount of time. So there was a big learning curve I had to get over before I ever felt comfortable with the material. But this is not exclusively a Caribbean Med Student problem; this is an issue for any medical student. Now that I look back, my GPA and MCAT were some good academic red flags I should have heeded. So during my time at this school, I repeated a semester and failed my NBME CBSE exam twice. Yes, it was a struggle. And believe me, I can’t even begin to describe the physical and mental toll that this journey has taken on me. My sense of self-worth has definitely gone through the troughs throughout this whole time.

But while leaning on my faith, family, and friends, I was able to get through it. I am done with my basic sciences on the island, I passed my NBME CBSE exam, and I will be taking my Step 1 exam in the upcoming months:1geek:

This is where I become self-reflective. DocHopeful1, if you could go back, would you change anything? I’ve been asked this so many times in my life, and it’s a yes and no:

-->Yes I regret it because I've always imagined myself in primary care (FM, Peds). And now I realize that in the every day aspect of primary medicine, PAs and even DNPs basically do the same thing MDs or DOs do. Obviously there are differences, but in terms of helping the average patient, it's the same. I realize how similar the day-to-day schedule is for a regular FM/Peds doc vs a PA. And whatever minutiae of a difference they do have, I know (for me personally) it did not matter. If I had known this before my Caribbean medical school journey, I would have 100% have chosen this route.

-->No I don’t regret it because this school is the only reason why I'm able to take my step 1 exam in the upcoming months and keep pursuing my dream (I know there are shortcomings even in that statement alone). But there’s a saying like “don’t bite the hand that feeds you” and I feel like I am in that situation. I remember a time in my life when I was hoping that I could be where I am now--preparing for step 1. I am truly grateful. I firmly believe that everything happens for a reason, and so I can't say I truly regret anything. It's all a part of growing up, and I know I'll be the best doctor I can be.

And this is where I turn to you and ask:
-->Why you are pursuing medicine? If family pressure, prestige, and/or money enter your brain as one of your top three reasons, I would get out now. Believe me. Those things will NOT be your motivators during those stressful times when you’re so overwhelmed that you feel like you can’t eat or sleep. This is the first question you need to get out of the way because the mental and physical toll that medical school in general will cause you requires you to have a strong motivator to get through it.

-->Why are you considering a Caribbean medical school? For me, it was a combination of my poor numbers and the pressure of my timeline. If these are your reasons as well, may I suggest to you that those reasons may not be enough. If I were to go back to my application days, I would tell myself that choosing to do one of these options is completely okay:
-------Option 1) Retaking the MCAT (I know it sucks but trust me, in the long run, it's the better decision)
-------Option 2)Doing a post-bacc or something along those lines (I remember when some people suggested that to me and I hated it so much. I just wanted to start medical school so badly because I was so worried about my "life's timeline" that I made up in my head. But in hindsight, a post-bacc would have been a smart decision)
--------Option 3) Doing something other than medical school. If you're anything like me, I know this is painful to hear especially if being a doctor is what you've wanted for the majority of your life. But if I were to go back in time, this is actually the path I would have taken. I would have gone the PA route and I wish I had done more research on the topic. But if you really want to do a highly specialized aspect of medicine, this may not be your route.

And after all that and you’re still thinking about a caribbean medical school, well then dang, y’all are persistent lol. But I get it. I know that I am no one to you; I’m just an anonymous post to you. So if you have your heart and mind set on going to caribbean school, I can’t stop you. BUT that doesn’t mean I’ll let you go high and dry. Here’s my advice:
-->Try to go to a Big 4 school. I know money is a big issue, but I was lucky that I was able to qualify for federal loans. So if you do decide caribbean, go Big 4.
-->be prepared to ADAPT! I have friends in many different caribbean medical schools, and we’ve all learned to adapt to many situations. A compilation of a few complaints I have heard from these friends including some of my own: bugs and little critters in the house, water shut off, electricity shut off, extreme heat with no AC, bad wifi, severe storms and/or hurricanes, etc etc. You get the idea. You won’t have the same luxuries as compared to America. Your school may be on an island, but it ain’t no paradise all the time lol
-->Try to figure out your learning style as quickly as possible. That’s what threw me off during my time in basic sciences. What type of learner are you? Audio, visual, tactile, etc. Learn to be independent. Don’t expect the school to hold your hand through anything. Remember at the end of the day, caribbean med schools are still like a huge doctor mill. So make sure you are self-sufficient in that aspect
-->Finally make sure you surround yourself with good people. Friends that are supportive and have the same goals as you. Especially since caribbean schools accept almost anyone, there will be all sorts of people there. In order to succeed, you must be part of the group that is in medical school for the right reasons. Not to party all the time, not to goof off, not because their parents said so. You must be there because YOU want it and you must be willing to go against the peer pressure at times. As long as you are 100% focused and surround yourself with a strong group of people, it’s possible to succeed! (and let’s be real, I am hoping I can end up being one of these success stories too :) )

If you’re still reading after that long post, thank you :) Hopefully I was able to help you in somehow, some way. I tried my best to give my perspective from my own personal experience on this whole issue, and I tried to be as vulnerable and transparent as I could be. No matter what YOU end up choosing for yourself (whether that be to go to a caribbean school or to try out some of the options mentioned above), just remember to not to compare yourself to others. Each person’s journey to their careers and/or passions is different. Don’t let any one aspect of it define you. Wishing you all the very best of luck! And don’t hesitate to ask me any questions you have about my experience/any clarifications you need :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 users
#1 reason why I would never choose this route and why will never move to Florida/Georgia states:
“bugs and little critters in the house, water shut off, electricity shut off, extreme heat with no AC, bad wifi, severe storms and/or hurricanes” add spiders on top of that.
Other than that thank you for your post, but your story is far from over (and success), what people want to hear is where did you and your classmates end up after graduation. How many people left with useless degree, no residency and $200k+ of debt?
Honestly, I also had all those vibes aka get X done by 25, Y by 27, and you better die if you don’t accomplish Z by 35, etc. But that’s bs, take your time and don’t look at other folks. It is probably painful to realize that you could just take the MCAT one more time, break 500 score and get into a DO school. Anyway, good luck OP, hopefully everything will turn well for you.

• Love
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users
#1 reason why I would never choose this route and why will never move to Florida/Georgia states:
“bugs and little critters in the house, water shut off, electricity shut off, extreme heat with no AC, bad wifi, severe storms and/or hurricanes” add spiders on top of that.
Other than that thank you for your post, but your story is far from over (and success), what people want to hear is where did you and your classmates end up after graduation. How many people left with useless degree, no residency and $200k+ of debt?
Honestly, I also had all those vibes aka get X done by 25, Y by 27, and you better die if you don’t accomplish Z by 35, etc. But that’s bs, take your time and don’t look at other folks. It is probably painful to realize that you could just take the MCAT one more time, break 500 score and get into a DO school. Anyway, good luck OP, hopefully everything will turn well for you.
Lolll at the Florida/Georgia comment:lol: clearly my “complaints” show that I’ve never lived in a US state where they frequently have those issues loll

And yes, I completely agree with you about taking your time. Idk if I made it clear in the post, but those reasons I had for choosing a Caribbean school are dumb reasons. I’m probably going to add it to my original post but those reasons I had were dumb. I should have been more patient. And I shouldn’t have compared myself. Thanks for taking the time to read it and thanks for the well wishes!:)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You seem like a kind person. Worst case scenario, you'll still have NP as an option to fulfill your personal goals (albeit, with a little more debt than usual).

I wish you the best on your Step 1 exam.

Reactions: 11 users
@Kardio Implying the user has a BSN or is an RN. Press X to doubt. So basically, another $50k to do an ABSN coupled with another $50-60k to do an NP program. Not factoring the opportunity cost and the marinating Caribbean debt, that's not a "little" by a long shot.

@Kardio Implying the user has a BSN or is an RN. Press X to doubt.

Haha - actually, there are direct entry NP programs nowadays. No BSN or RN experience required.

inb4 "mEdIcInE iS a nO gOoD vErY bAd jOb" thread again

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Haha - actually, there are direct entry NP programs nowadays. No BSN or RN experience required. inb4 "mEdIcInE iS a nO gOoD vErY bAd jOb" thread again
Are they conditional MSN programs or NP programs with non-conditional practice rights. People on these boards like to **** on all the ridiculous programs from for-profit colleges, because they are ridiculous. But they fail to acknowledge that many of these programs which are largely internet based with little to no clinical rotations are some makeshift MSN program that is nonaccredited by CCNE, ACEN, or whatever formal board is supposed to actually license these programs.

Are they conditional MSN programs or NP programs with non-conditional practice rights. People on these boards like to **** on all the ridiculous programs from for-profit colleges, because they are ridiculous. But they fail to acknowledge that many of these programs which are largely internet based with little to no clinical rotations are some makeshift MSN program that is nonaccredited by CCNE, ACEN, or whatever formal board is supposed to actually license these programs.

I could be mistaken, but this looks like direct entry NP to me. Not trying to bash nurses.

1 year of ("PreSpecialty") education (on-campus, full-time only), followed by another year to earn an MSN and become eligible for the board certifications offered by the American Nurses Credentialing Center and the American Association of Nurse practitioners.

Last edited:
  • Wow
@Kardio It's an ABSN program that they complete before they can qualify to begin the FNP program. 3 semester (one year program), 780 hours of clinical experience, and 40 hours of didactic/clinical across the 2-3 semesters. They can choose whether or not to take the RN, but the curriculum is so similar to an ABSN that the program states that they can sit for the boards for RN licensure. They are basically stating that you can get into a master's/NP program but they still want you to basically complete what should be the equivalent of a bachelor's in nursing program.

That's all fair.

In summary, no RN experience required and one enters the program with the expectation of becoming an NP in 2 years. I may not be using the term "direct entry" perfectly here, but this is functionally direct entry.

So basically, another $50k to do an ABSN coupled with another $50-60k to do an NP program. Not factoring the opportunity cost and the marinating Caribbean debt, that's not a "little" by a long shot.

I'm just being polite.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Wow. OP knew the risks before going. What exactly about this user triggers you so hard? You’re constantly attacking this user just cause he/she is sharing their experience. Honestly, we don’t have many users that share their clinical rotations and matching experience all the way through a Caribbean school and it would be awesome for them to stay on SDN and report it all. Probably because they get flamed at all day.

edit: and in no way do I condone going to the caribbean. OP is already there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 10 users

How many times are you going to say that they ****ed up? Want to go over your college experience/life and I can tell you how many times you have ****ed up? This person is obviously doing this for therapeutic reasons, sharing a different perspective, and you're coming at them like an a**hole. The only thing that your post will deter is people taking you seriously in the future. Grow up a little, jesus.

I don't understand why you feel like it is something that requires a deep introspective discovery into how this mistake is actually not a mistake.
I would like to respectfully ask: in your interpretation, at what moments did I imply I did not make a mistake?
I thought the fact that the majority of this essay was littered with "I should/shouldn't have ________" and "I could have________" showcased how I regretted my decision. I even mentioned in the post that if I were to go back to my application days, I would have gone the PA route. I also mentioned three things of what I would advise myself if I could go back (my Options 1-3-->none of which was to apply a carribbean school). Plus, I was transparent about the reasons why I chose a caribbean school-->my impatience and my timeline (both of which I described as dumb reasons). And finally at the end, I mentioned how "I can't stop" someone from choosing to go to a caribbean school "after all that" I wrote (all of which implying that I was respectfully trying to stop them up until that point).....

And in reference to your question as to why I was being introspective:
In a previous thread, you described the caribbean medical school audience as desperate. I agree with you 100% on that because that's exactly how I felt when I was thinking of applying to caribbean schools. And you and I can both agree that a desperate audience is a vulnerable audience, and caribbean schools prey on this vulnerability. You think this. I think this. We all think this lol. But here's where I kindly disagree in the statement you made: I think deep introspection IS required. It begs to ask the question "Why am I (or any caribbean considering student) wanting to choose a caribbean medical school when the risks are so high and abundant?" From my personal experience, it stemmed from impatience and my own insecurities about my timeline (my career, me starting a family, me having kids, etc.). And if we analyze those two reasons, oh boy don't they open up a whole other can of worms of deeper set issues? That's what I was trying to convey. If I had truly been able to self-reflect back then (or at least had someone to help me think like this), I would not have chosen this path.

Throwing statistics and numbers and facts at people may work to deter those who make decisions solely based on logic. But some people (like me back in the day) make decisions based on how we feel--->Medical school is our passion, our ambition, our dream, etc etc--there's a lot more than logic behind those statements. So if we truly want people to stop considering the Caribbean, we need to get to the root of the cause. Let them know that "yes, we understand the magnitude of your desires and we're not undermining them. But let's see why you're so adamant about a risky decision. Are just being impatient? Let's fix that. Are you worried about losing another year or two and messing up some mental timeline you made up? Let's talk about that and how that's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things".

That was the whole idea around my message. I wanted to be vulnerable so that another student doesn't have to go through the same mental obstacles as I did. And this may encourage them to ask the right questions to themselves when making a big decision regarding their career.

Last edited:
  • Love
So if we truly want people to stop considering the Caribbean, we need to get to the root of the cause. Let them know that "yes, we understand the magnitude of your desires and we're not undermining them. But let's see why you're so adamant about a risky decision. Are just being impatient? Let's fix that.
People will always be impatient especially young over optimistic folks who truly believe n=1 success stories apply to them. And don’t forget awesome marketing departments that caribb schools have.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My friend told me they are going to SGU because they do not want to retake the MCAT.
It seems like this decision your friend made is already official. But if it wasn't, I would want to ask them: why don't they want to retake the MCAT? Is it money? Is it time? Are they burnt out? Are they sick of studying? Are they lazy? There are so many reasons why someone doesn't want to retake the MCAT--each of which is a issue that needs to be dealt with individually. And if issues are dealt with like that, your friend may have been more open to looking at their other options.

But also, maybe if you already asked all those questions and did all that, they are still choosing to go to a caribbean school. At that point, man you have to let go. I know it hurts because you don't want to see your friend get hurt. But also, you did everything you could as a their friend. They are an adult who can look at all the evidence and make their own decisions. Sometimes you just have to learn from your mistakes.

@Kardio It's an ABSN program that they complete before they can qualify to begin the FNP program. 3 semester (one year program), 780 hours of clinical experience, and 40 hours of didactic/clinical across the 2-3 semesters. They can choose whether or not to take the RN, but the curriculum is so similar to an ABSN that the program states that they can sit for the boards for RN licensure. They are basically stating that you can get into a master's/NP program but they still want you to basically complete what should be the equivalent of a bachelor's in nursing program.

Completely uncalled for. Not sure why you felt the need to denigrate OP to this level. The point on the thread is them realizing an error but you can't seem to grasp that and you further rub it in.
Get a grip.

The day you realize you cannot change the World you become adult (c)
People will always be impatient especially young over optimistic folks who truly believe n=1 success stories apply to them. And don’t forget awesome marketing departments that caribb schools have.
Yup, that was me back then. So time obsessed and wanting things to fall into place exactly when I planned it in my head. What a loss of childhood innocence the day I truly realized that life usually doesn't go the way you want it too lol:inpain: It's like that old saying "Man Plans, God laughs"

p.s. I like the quote you have in the signature bar:lol:

Thank you for sharing, OP! I wish you all of the luck in the world! :)

• Love
Good luck on Step 1, OP! No offense, but seems a bit pre-emptive to post this thread if you haven't even matched yet. Getting into residency seems like a big barrier for Caribbean applicants. Though the fact that you're actually interested in primary care will make things a bit easier.

Reactions: 3 users
Back to my previous post in this thread – today I watched a youtube ad which was a commercial of SGU, don't remember the exact text but it was something like:
"Are you eager to become a physician? Don't wait, apply to SGU, we have [bla bla bla whatever they have there]..."

• Sad
Back to my previous post in this thread – today I watched a youtube ad which was a commercial of SGU, don't remember the exact text but it was something like:
"Are you eager to become a physician? Don't wait, apply to SGU, we have [bla bla bla whatever they have there]..."
I saw this exact same add on youtube yesterday too

I wish OP all the best, but this thread is going to do more harm than good considering it's coming from someone who hasn't even sat for boards yet. Not to diminish your story, OP, but it'll be far more credible and valuable once you match into residency and can speak to more than half of medical school.

Woah i just checked the link you guys posted about Vanderbilt nursing program. This is exactly why I decided to go MD. I have heard about these programs but never looked into it. There are no consistencies at all regarding academic requirements for entry into nurse practitioner programs, and now anyone can become a nurse practitioner with no nursing experience and less rigorous training in comparison to physician assistants. I do hope these new “nurse practitioners” know how to put in Foley, NG tube, IV, do blood transfusions and clean patients as regular nurses do.

Good luck on Step 1, OP! No offense, but seems a bit pre-emptive to post this thread if you haven't even matched yet. Getting into residency seems like a big barrier for Caribbean applicants. Though the fact that you're actually interested in primary care will make things a bit easier.
I wish OP all the best, but this thread is going to do more harm than good considering it's coming from someone who hasn't even sat for boards yet. Not to diminish your story, OP, but it'll be far more credible and valuable once you match into residency and can speak to more than half of medical school.

Boards and residency are definitely the biggest hurdle I need to overcome, so yeah I guess in terms of that, this post was a little preemptive. But this post was so spontaneous that it even shocked me :X3: What happened was that I randomly decided to sign onto sdn (after yearsss), and then I started reading my first post from back in 2015. It brought me back to who I was/where I was/what my mindset was and starkly contrast that with who I am/where I am/my current mindset four years later.

There were so many things I wish I could have told my younger self, and that's where this spontaneous post came in. Along with this being therapeutic, I wanted it to be a warning to the many many students out there in the same old, insecure, and dangerous mindset I was in-->to those facing the mental defeat of not getting accepted to a US med school and how devastating it is. I wanted those students to learn from my mistaken priorities and my old mindset. I wanted those students to start to recognize their own personal destructive patterns of thought and not fall into the trap of desperation like I did.

Obviously, there are students who don't care what the advice is and just come to sdn to validate their decisions that they already made prior (which is why I included that small section towards the end of my post. It's more for like how to make less mistakes while you're currently making a big mistake:lol:). But I was hoping that this post could help those students who were on the fence--letting them know that whatever core reason(s) they have for wanting to choose a caribbean medical school are not worth it. Like I mentioned before in a comment, spewing facts/numbers/stats or even harshly scolding/cussing/shaming people doesn't work for everyone (clearly it didn't work for me:X3:). So this was just me taking another approach, something that I would have related to more and responded to more all those years back :)

And thank you for the well wishes and your feedback :happy:

Reactions: 6 users
Reading this and seeing the ads for caribbean medical schools nowadays (as compared to me in 2015), I cringe now:inpain:

• Sad
Hey all,

Wanna give my 2 cents. I have been a hospitalist in California for the past several years. I am a non-traditional applicant and went through the research pathway first. Anyways. Everyone's experience is different. Everyone internalizes each situation differently. But we should all be supportive of each other and of other professions as it is a noble cause that we are all embarking on. It does not matter where you go as long as you do what makes you happy!!!! Find people who are supportive and surround yourselves with those type of people. I went to medical school in the states but know a lot of people who have come from a Carribean school. And I rotated with them during medical school. They were some of the most enthusiastic and hard working people on the rotation. But do your research. Exhaust all options. Do and pick what is best for you. That is different for everyone. So at the end of the day it is how much time you put into it and how much you really want it. I truly believe that you can achieve your goals if you put in the work and time. As a class we all use to share notes, study aids, etc. We wanted everyone to succeed. We individually competed with the average to help ourselves but genuinely wanted everyone to do well. And dont be discouraged if you dont do well the first time. You can retake the test. Hasnt everyone heard, there will be a shortage of physicians in the future. Just work hard and be well. Be optimistic. I believe everyone can make it. It is just a mindset. The people who don't make it are the ones who are negative and give up too quickly. Feel free to ask any questions if can be of assistance. Cheers!!!!

bb78647d60.png

:vomit:

Not sure if this ended up being the case for you, but I found that hanging around other pre-meds was not the greatest decision. It's always comparing extracurriculars, grades, plans for applications, schools they're applying to, and you feel like sometimes you are not going fast enough or you're not doing well enough so you end up going at other people's paces instead of your own.

I really appreciate your post. A large part of why I eventually chose to go to SGU was I had been really devastated after all the secondary applications and then an interview to my favorite school that would have kept me close to home, ending with a rejection at the last moment on the last day of emails for acceptance/rejection. I spent a LOT of time reflecting and thought about what else I could do. I knew nothing else in the world NP/PA/anything other than medical school would not make me happy.

Looking back, maybe I could have gone for another round of the application cycle and gotten in but I didn't want to wait. I'm proud of where I'm at now and I'm happy your journey is looking up and wish you the best on Step 1!

how is the education at SGU?

do you feel you can work hard and succeed or are the demands unrealistic?

Not sure if this ended up being the case for you, but I found that hanging around other pre-meds was not the greatest decision. It's always comparing extracurriculars, grades, plans for applications, schools they're applying to, and you feel like sometimes you are not going fast enough or you're not doing well enough so you end up going at other people's paces instead of your own.
I agree! I felt that pressure as well! I wish I had the mental awareness to know that some of the pressure I put on myself also came from the people and environment I surrounded myself with. Exactly as you said, the constant comparison :( And it took me many years to even start to accept the fact that each person's journey is truly their own.

And if I'm being honest, I still have these low moments of comparison. Back then it was grades, extracurriculars, applications, and such, now it's step dates and scores, rotations, graduation dates, match dates, and friends my age (and even younger) already "starting their lives" by matching already, travelling, starting meaningful relationships and families, buying a car/home/etc. These are all things I personally want in my life, so then I have to actively tell myself that comparison is toxic. So to answer your comment, yes I did deal with that and may still be dealing with that >.< But it's all a work in progress and that's okay too :)

Hello everyone! I know this is a very very late response and I hope this doesn't get marked as spam. Though it is a very long time overdue, I wanted to give this thread some closure (not that anybody asked for it but just for myself😅).
But long story short, I made it to residency! I matched into my #1 program for family medicine!

I was so scared and anxious when I first created this thread, not even knowing I would ever reach Match day. But venting on here and talking to you all did help because a lot of you were so encouraging! Anyway, my stats and journey are posted here in this part 2 for anyone who is curious:

I am no longer a DocHopeful but I am now a Doc👨‍⚕️
Thank you again everyone! And wishing you all an amazing journey!

• Love
Thoroughly enjoyed reading part 1 and part 2. Despite the cautionary tale I will begin at Ross in 2024 and greatly appreciated the insight.