My way of incorporating EK Lecture books along side BR Books...thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swolebrah

sup
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wanted to get opinions from others, since SN2ed dosn't really use EK lecture books + BR books:

Was wondering if any one else is using EK Lecture books along with the BR books for all subjects?

If your solely using EK, EK suggests you read the Lecture 3 times / lecture. The lectures aren't very long at all, so I came up with a plan.

Since SN2ed is only using BR books for lecture (excluding bio) and I am using both, I'm going to go ahead and:

-1.Read EK Lecture without taking notes or anything, just reading it as if I was reading before any lecture in school
-2.Spent the most of the day on the long BR lectures and review passages + practice passages
-3.Read EK lecture again, but this time to cover things BR left out or didn't emphasize as much and input into flashcards any things EK states need to be memorized.

One thing I've noticed is that EK does a really good job at making sure you know exactly what you really really really need to know, memorize, and background intuition information.

Would appreciate any input or suggestions from anyone who is also using multiple books for their prep.

Members don't see this ad.

Wanted to get opinions from others, since SN2ed dosn't really use EK lecture books + BR books:

Was wondering if any one else is using EK Lecture books along with the BR books for all subjects?

If your solely using EK, EK suggests you read the Lecture 3 times / lecture. The lectures aren't very long at all, so I came up with a plan.

Since SN2ed is only using BR books for lecture (excluding bio) and I am using both, I'm going to go ahead and:

-1.Read EK Lecture without taking notes or anything, just reading it as if I was reading before any lecture in school
-2.Spent the most of the day on the long BR lectures and review passages + practice passages
-3.Read EK lecture again, but this time to cover things BR left out or didn't emphasize as much and input into flashcards any things EK states need to be memorized.

One thing I've noticed is that EK does a really good job at making sure you know exactly what you really really really need to know, memorize, and background intuition information.

Would appreciate any input or suggestions from anyone who is also using multiple books for their prep.
I hope this all isn't done in one day! It seems like a good "plan", yet the MCAT is a long process not only for studying in the long-run, but everyday will be a battle. I have pretty much every prep book out there, and I do not nor suggest using all of my materials in one day. I think it would be most effective for you to go through the entire BR or EK books by themselves, or maybe half of them, before you start to incorporate another source. YOU WILL BURNOUT if you do what you stated above in one day.

For example:

You have 2 months before your MCAT.

Weeks 1-2 - finish half the lectures + 1/3 passages in TBR
weeks 3 - Read EK + flashcards
Weeks 4-5 - finish rest of lectures + 1/3 passages in TBR...Read EK + flashcards
weeks 6-8 - PRACTICE QUESTIONS. AAMC FLs.

That would be my way of doing it in your case. Also, this is fairly off-topic possibly, but I want to also share some strategy on prepping for the VR section. You should be doing VR everyday. Unless you are very strong at it and consistent, I suggest doing at least 1 test a day if you have the resources. Practicing VR with only 3-4 passages a day is too casual and you will never get close to emulating the amount of stress in taking the real thing. With a full test (I am doing 85 min format ones for even more endurance), you will encounter the same challenges with time management, critical thinking, and endurance that the real MCAT poses.

I hope this all isn't done in one day! It seems like a good "plan", yet the MCAT is a long process not only for studying in the long-run, but everyday will be a battle. I have pretty much every prep book out there, and I do not nor suggest using all of my materials in one day. I think it would be most effective for you to go through the entire BR or EK books by themselves, or maybe half of them, before you start to incorporate another source. YOU WILL BURNOUT if you do what you stated above in one day.

For example:

You have 2 months before your MCAT.

Weeks 1-2 - finish half the lectures + 1/3 passages in TBR
weeks 3 - Read EK + flashcards
Weeks 4-5 - finish rest of lectures + 1/3 passages in TBR...Read EK + flashcards
weeks 6-8 - PRACTICE QUESTIONS. AAMC FLs.

That would be my way of doing it in your case. Also, this is fairly off-topic possibly, but I want to also share some strategy on prepping for the VR section. You should be doing VR everyday. Unless you are very strong at it and consistent, I suggest doing at least 1 test a day if you have the resources. Practicing VR with only 3-4 passages a day is too casual and you will never get close to emulating the amount of stress in taking the real thing. With a full test (I am doing 85 min format ones for even more endurance), you will encounter the same challenges with time management, critical thinking, and endurance that the real MCAT poses.
Thanks for the response, I have considered the possibility to burnout. I do have a higher tolerance to studying for long periods of time , using pills, then most since I don't have the leisure to study on the weekends (part time scribe job). I workout everyday after my study sessions to relieve stress and increase dopamine. In regards to your verbal, currently I am doing 2-3 passages a day like you stated. The reason I don't do the regular 8-9 is because I would run out of passages. I currently have the TPR-Hyperlearning Verbal and EK 101 Verbal. I am following SN2ed's plan at the moment.

Is there any other material you would suggests for the verbal besides the AAMC's and the materials stated above? Thanks

First off, I envy you for doing the MCAT with a part time job :p! Regarding verbal, that was my assumption; however, I feel a lot of people on sdn have been misguided by SN2 schedule. SN2 makes a fantastic post, and is definitely a very effective way of studying! Although being superb for the majority of people studying for the MCAT, it does not optimize nor personalize the studying. People like to be told what to do. They seek advice from personal trainers...physicians...physiotherapists.. BUT, those are all 1 on 1 interactions that RELY on feedback and monitoring! You cannot read a program and think it will work the same way for you. This may be the case in some instances, but most likely not. It is up to you to regulate your studying, which it looks like you have demonstrated with this post.

Now, for my take on the MCAT studying as a whole. The reason why I say people should be doing more VR passages a day is because it is the weakest area for the majority of MCAT takers! It is not common for people to break a 12 on verbal reasoning, yet it seems to happen way more frequently with the sciences. Check out the statistics, its true. That is because it is the most neglected section of the test. But why would you not exploit the fact that all the information is in the passages? Exactly. So practice practice practice like you have already heard numerous times on sdn. BUT, tailor the practice amount + frequency to YOU.
...you are getting consistent 12s on verbal = 3-4 passages a day from then on
...you are getting fluctuating scores from 6-9 = probably need more passages..bump up to a test a day.

Now your wondering: Where the heck do I get all these passages and won't I get accustomed to the wrong format of VR?
Answer: Buy them (lol) and plan smart!

EK101 and TPRH are by far the best VR practice besides real the actual AAMC ones. However, you can add more practice, yet less similar to the MCAT, through incorporating Kaplan, GS, and TBR. 13 from Kaplan...10 from GS + 10 from GS FLs...15 from TBR book + 7 from TBR FLs. Thats 55 additional TESTS for VR! Now, unless money is an issue, there should be no excuse to not use that material if you want to better your chances at a good score! Just remember though, the format is not consistent with those ones. So, as a precautionary schedule, you should make sure NOT to incorporate them in the weeks before your actual test date. That way you get the practice, but still get accommodated to the real format before the exam.

One last note (wow this is a long post), I work out a lot too and pretty much get withdrawals if I am away from the gym for a certain length of time. I am most definitely an iron addict. However, like you, I am capable of studying for long periods of time. Given that you have that part-time job on your plate too, you should give less time to the gym. How do you do that? Simply change your splits and intensity. I like to do 3 day splits: Chest/tris...Back/Shoulders/Traps/bis...Legs... Do yours however you like. But, doing it this way means you only workout 3-4 times a week, which will save you a lot of time in the long run!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
First off, I envy you for doing the MCAT with a part time job :p! Regarding verbal, that was my assumption; however, I feel a lot of people on sdn have been misguided by SN2 schedule. SN2 makes a fantastic post, and is definitely a very effective way of studying! Although being superb for the majority of people studying for the MCAT, it does not optimize nor personalize the studying. People like to be told what to do. They seek advice from personal trainers...physicians...physiotherapists.. BUT, those are all 1 on 1 interactions that RELY on feedback and monitoring! You cannot read a program and think it will work the same way for you. This may be the case in some instances, but most likely not. It is up to you to regulate your studying, which it looks like you have demonstrated with this post.

Now, for my take on the MCAT studying as a whole. The reason why I say people should be doing more VR passages a day is because it is the weakest area for the majority of MCAT takers! It is not common for people to break a 12 on verbal reasoning, yet it seems to happen way more frequently with the sciences. Check out the statistics, its true. That is because it is the most neglected section of the test. But why would you not exploit the fact that all the information is in the passages? Exactly. So practice practice practice like you have already heard numerous times on sdn. BUT, tailor the practice amount + frequency to YOU.
...you are getting consistent 12s on verbal = 3-4 passages a day from then on
...you are getting fluctuating scores from 6-9 = probably need more passages..bump up to a test a day.

Now your wondering: Where the heck do I get all these passages and won't I get accustomed to the wrong format of VR?
Answer: Buy them (lol) and plan smart!

EK101 and TPRH are by far the best VR practice besides real the actual AAMC ones. However, you can add more practice, yet less similar to the MCAT, through incorporating Kaplan, GS, and TBR. 13 from Kaplan...10 from GS + 10 from GS FLs...15 from TBR book + 7 from TBR FLs. Thats 55 additional TESTS for VR! Now, unless money is an issue, there should be no excuse to not use that material if you want to better your chances at a good score! Just remember though, the format is not consistent with those ones. So, as a precautionary schedule, you should make sure NOT to incorporate them in the weeks before your actual test date. That way you get the practice, but still get accommodated to the real format before the exam.

One last note (wow this is a long post), I work out a lot too and pretty much get withdrawals if I am away from the gym for a certain length of time. I am most definitely an iron addict. However, like you, I am capable of studying for long periods of time. Given that you have that part-time job on your plate too, you should give less time to the gym. How do you do that? Simply change your splits and intensity. I like to do 3 day splits: Chest/tris...Back/Shoulders/Traps/bis...Legs... Do yours however you like. But, doing it this way means you only workout 3-4 times a week, which will save you a lot of time in the long run!

Thanks for the awesome and informational post! I have to agree I'm scoring in the 8-10 range , so I'll invest in some Kaplan and GS verbal passages . This way I'll do 7-9 passages a day instead of 2-3. I also agree with what you said about tailoring the schedule to fit your weakness and strengths, I deffintly won't be spending much time on content from TBR Bio and Ochem since I just finished them, however I will be using EK Lectures + TBR passages + TPRH science workbook passages + EK1001 to really hammer in the weakness.

Yeah currently I do a 4 days split of chest/tris, legs, back, shoulder/bi's . My macros are really low since I'm cutting . I'm actually going to be running a cycle once I finish the MCAT so I'm just prepping my body currently. However after the 4th day, I reset after a 1 day rest day (which is usually devoted to abs/forearms).

Thanks for the awesome and informational post! I have to agree I'm scoring in the 8-10 range , so I'll invest in some Kaplan and GS verbal passages . This way I'll do 7-9 passages a day instead of 2-3. I also agree with what you said about tailoring the schedule to fit your weakness and strengths, I deffintly won't be spending much time on content from TBR Bio and Ochem since I just finished them, however I will be using EK Lectures + TBR passages + TPRH science workbook passages + EK1001 to really hammer in the weakness.

Yeah currently I do a 4 days split of chest/tris, legs, back, shoulder/bi's . My macros are really low since I'm cutting . I'm actually going to be running a cycle once I finish the MCAT so I'm just prepping my body currently. However after the 4th day, I reset after a 1 day rest day (which is usually devoted to abs/forearms).
That was my split before the MCAT came around haha! Thats a pretty good verbal score to begin with before all of the practice you will be getting. I imagine you will do well. Good luck with your studying!

That was my split before the MCAT came around haha! Thats a pretty good verbal score to begin with before all of the practice you will be getting. I imagine you will do well. Good luck with your studying!
Thanks man, good luck with applying, appreciate all the input and help!