My way to become an MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hesperian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm new in this forum, I'm 17 and I'm from Buenos Aires, Argentina. I have a couple questions, though it may be hard to understand them but if I describe my specific situation the post would be too long. I just say this so you don't believe I'm not thinking this through (understanding what I'm getting into, etc).

I want to be an MD/PhD (do mostly research but also work in a hospital), and basically I have two options: study medicine here (Buenos Aires), do the USMLE and then apply for residency and PhD in US, or go to CC in America, then transfer to a 4-year college and then apply to MD/PhD.
The options can be different but I'm trying to be brief here. I can't apply directly to a 4-year college because I can't afford to, so I would have to find a way to make it happen (could be loan, scholarship, etc)

The first option would make me a FMG and that make hurt my career, but I wouldn't get a loan, it would be quicker and also relatively safe (I just have to find a residency spot, which is hard but not impossible)

The second option, I can't decide if it's very difficult or just impossible. I don't have any money whatsoever, except I ask my parents but it wouldn't be much money and I wouldn't like to do that.

So I need help deciding. The questions themselves would be:

1: Would being a FMG be a problem if I want to go into the MD/PhD route, seeing patients but dedicating most of my time to research? Would I have less job offers? What if I somehow get into a top residency program, would I still be looked down to?
2: Is there any way at all I could apply for an MD/PhD program in America being an MD already from my home country? I know it's crazy but I want to know if it's even an option.
3: Is my community college plan even possible? It's hard for Americans to get into MD/PhD programs, so if I would also be an international student who also happened to transfer from a CC it may very well be impossible. I'm willing to work very hard (even sacrifice those years to the plan) but I won't if chances of success are just nonexistent.

Thanks in advance for reading, and I apologise if this is not the right place to post this. I'm willing to hear any insight, critics, suggestions, advice, comments; whatever, no matter how blunt or rude. Just say what you think.

EDIT: Maybe this thread actually belongs in the Physician Scientist forum. If any mod thinks so please move it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: