1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

My way to become an MD/PhD

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by Hesperian, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Hesperian

I'm new in this forum, I'm 17 and I'm from Buenos Aires, Argentina. I have a couple questions, though it may be hard to understand them but if I describe my specific situation the post would be too long. I just say this so you don't believe I'm not thinking this through (understanding what I'm getting into, etc).

I want to be an MD/PhD (do mostly research but also work in a hospital), and basically I have two options: study medicine here (Buenos Aires), do the USMLE and then apply for residency and PhD in US, or go to CC in America, then transfer to a 4-year college and then apply to MD/PhD.
    The options can be different but I'm trying to be brief here. I can't apply directly to a 4-year college because I can't afford to, so I would have to find a way to make it happen (could be loan, scholarship, etc)

The first option would make me a FMG and that make hurt my career, but I wouldn't get a loan, it would be quicker and also relatively safe (I just have to find a residency spot, which is hard but not impossible)

The second option, I can't decide if it's very difficult or just impossible. I don't have any money whatsoever, except I ask my parents but it wouldn't be much money and I wouldn't like to do that.

So I need help deciding. The questions themselves would be:

1: Would being a FMG be a problem if I want to go into the MD/PhD route, seeing patients but dedicating most of my time to research? Would I have less job offers? What if I somehow get into a top residency program, would I still be looked down to?
    2: Is there any way at all I could apply for an MD/PhD program in America being an MD already from my home country? I know it's crazy but I want to know if it's even an option.
    3: Is my community college plan even possible? It's hard for Americans to get into MD/PhD programs, so if I would also be an international student who also happened to transfer from a CC it may very well be impossible. I'm willing to work very hard (even sacrifice those years to the plan) but I won't if chances of success are just nonexistent.

Thanks in advance for reading, and I apologise if this is not the right place to post this. I'm willing to hear any insight, critics, suggestions, advice, comments; whatever, no matter how blunt or rude. Just say what you think.

EDIT: Maybe this thread actually belongs in the Physician Scientist forum. If any mod thinks so please move it.

#1 Hesperian, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.