My year off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cabound

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've posted my stats like 20 times on this website, and ppl have been very helpful, but alas I'm still utterly confused (as I think I will be until the day I finally get an acceptance...)

I didn't get in this last app cycle, and I'm reapplying for fall 2008 and starting early this year (AMCAS in by June...).

I have a low GPA (3.09 cum, 2.64 Science) with a strong upward trend my last two years (which includes good grades in some upper-div science courses).
Aug MCAT 23R; January MCAT 29S

So far, I've gotten involved in some research at a D.O. school nearby, and I am working towards a publication. I just got a full-time job at a hospital working in the ICU. I'll also be volunteering at a low-income clinic and shadowing during days off.

I feel at this point it will be very hard to increase my GPA, short of doing a grad program. But this year I was hoping to focus a good deal of time on this research, working, vol/shad, and possibly retaking the MCAT in July.

Does anyone feel this is enough?? Retaking the MCAT and working hard as hell to do everything I possibly can... I mean, is GPA going to completely prevent me from going to medical school???

Thanks for any advice =)

Members don't see this ad.

I've posted my stats like 20 times on this website, and ppl have been very helpful, but alas I'm still utterly confused (as I think I will be until the day I finally get an acceptance...)

I didn't get in this last app cycle, and I'm reapplying for fall 2008 and starting early this year (AMCAS in by June...).

I have a low GPA (3.09 cum, 2.64 Science) with a strong upward trend my last two years (which includes good grades in some upper-div science courses).
Aug MCAT 23R; January MCAT 29S

So far, I've gotten involved in some research at a D.O. school nearby, and I am working towards a publication. I just got a full-time job at a hospital working in the ICU. I'll also be volunteering at a low-income clinic and shadowing during days off.

I feel at this point it will be very hard to increase my GPA, short of doing a grad program. But this year I was hoping to focus a good deal of time on this research, working, vol/shad, and possibly retaking the MCAT in July.

Does anyone feel this is enough?? Retaking the MCAT and working hard as hell to do everything I possibly can... I mean, is GPA going to completely prevent me from going to medical school???

Thanks for any advice =)

I would take more undergraduate science courses instead of getting more clinical experience at this point. Why do you think it would be so hard to increase your GPA (particularly you science GPA, which is very low)? Do you just need a break from school for a while? I'm sure there are many approaches to this, but getting my science GPA up would be my personal priority if I was in your situation. Your MCAT seems to be ok.

those stats would make you more competitive at D.O. schools, so if you're really set on becoming a doctor, you might want to consider applying to some of those schools. No amount of clinical experience can replace a solid gpa/mcat. Your second MCAT is pretty solid, but the gpa is still a problem. It might be worth your while to do some sort of masters program to bring that up if you want to go into allopathic medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would take more undergraduate science courses instead of getting more clinical experience at this point. Why do you think it would be so hard to increase your GPA (particularly you science GPA, which is very low)? Do you just need a break from school for a while? I'm sure there are many approaches to this, but getting my science GPA up would be my personal priority if I was in your situation. Your MCAT seems to be ok.

I agree with this post. OP, your science GPA is a dead rat. Your priority should be to take at least a year off before reapplying (being conscious of the 3-yr expiration date of the MCAT) and taking a lot of undergraduate science classes to raise your undergraduate science GPA. You should strive to get straight A's in fulltime semesters. I wouldn't advise reapplying without having done that. Your MCAT is fine, as previously noted and your EC's come after your academics. Focus on raising your science GPA and you'll definitely help your efforts for when you reapply. This could be easier to accomplish on the AACOMAS, given that they calculate your GPA using your latest grade, if you repeat a class.

Medical schools want to see that you are doing things in your year off to improve the part of your application that was weak. My opinion is that it is your science GPA. You can do research and get clinical experience but take some classes and get A's too. Improving that GPA will do more than publishing. The kind of schools that you will be aiming for with that GPA and MCAT are more interested in clinical physician output than research.