Mystery Diagnosis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VPDcurt

2K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever watch this? I was watching it a few days ago and in the first 2 minutes, the woman was like, "It felt like I had sand in my eyes and I couldn't really swallow anything because my mouth was so dry." Needless to say, after mumbling 'Sjogren's' to myself, I turned the TV off (it's supposed to be an hour long show), said a few expletives and retired to my sleeping quarters.

Members don't see this ad.

I actually saw that episode, and the answer wasn't Sjogrens. She was living in Arizona and there had been a terrible sandstorm the day before; she was actually suffering from mechanical irritation. This should be a lesson that you have to read the entire stem before answering the question.

No, but really, I've never heard of that show.

I actually saw that episode, and the answer wasn't Sjogrens. She was living in Arizona and there had been a terrible sandstorm the day before; she was actually suffering from mechanical irritation. This should be a lesson that you have to read the entire stem before answering the question.

No, but really, I've never heard of that show.

The story of my life.

Every time I jump to a conclusion, the vignette always tears me a new one when it comes to the answer choices and instead of saving time, I usually have to end up reading it all over again to see what is really going on.

As for the show, I've never seen it, but for a show called "Mystery Diagnosis," I would have thought that the actual illness and/or symptomatology would have been more interesting than getting some sand in your eyes.

Now if it was sand in a different orifice, I would at least stick around to watch the dramatization :love:

Sometimes I watch the show and think to myself, "these docs never studied First Aid because it's all in there." And then I remember that in real life, a patient rarely presents with the classic constellations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sometimes I watch the show and think to myself, "these docs never studied First Aid because it's all in there." And then I remember that in real life, a patient rarely presents with the classic constellations.

it's not even that patients don't present with those classic constellations, it's that the majority of the conditions in first aid are things you'll never encounter in practice. case in point - in one episode, they're running all these tests, can't figure out what's wrong with this guy, and then the doctor gets the idea to run this "obscure" test that he remembered from medical school; they then make the "rare" diagnosis of wegner's, based on the C-ANCA results. for most of us getting ready for step 1, i think wegeners and C-ANCA are kind of "no duh" territory.

it's not even that patients don't present with those classic constellations, it's that the majority of the conditions in first aid are things you'll never encounter in practice. case in point - in one episode, they're running all these tests, can't figure out what's wrong with this guy, and then the doctor gets the idea to run this "obscure" test that he remembered from medical school; they then make the "rare" diagnosis of wegner's, based on the C-ANCA results. for most of us getting ready for step 1, i think wegeners and C-ANCA are kind of "no duh" territory.

I also think that people that took the board exams before us were not as well prepared as we are today. I heard that there is a huge discrepancy in difficulty between the exams that we take now compared to those that were taken 5-10 years ago.

In fact,

You have to make sure the patient has arthritis before suspecting Sjogren.

If she does not have arthritis, then the diagnosis is Sicca syndrome :)