Myth Busters: Hypnosis and Life coaching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tears for susan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. I have read that hypnosis is only useful for blocking pain, but its hard to separate fact from fiction on the subject. What about using hypnosis for entertainment purposes? Although only a small percentage of people are supposedly hypnotizable, ive seen live hypnotists take advantage of dozens at one time.
For the career aspect of it, is becoming a certified hypnotherapist or entertainment hypnotist a viable career? Honestly, it sounds like it would be alot of fun.

2. Life Coaching: The field of psychology is very strict on making sure you are professionally trained and certified to provide work such as counseling. But now i am reading on the internet that there is this field called life coaching, which doesnt require a degree but a certificate, and is supposedly more lucrative than other psychology work, depending on how you market yourself. Is this just total BS?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. I have read that hypnosis is only useful for blocking pain, but its hard to separate fact from fiction on the subject. What about using hypnosis for entertainment purposes? Although only a small percentage of people are supposedly hypnotizable, ive seen live hypnotists take advantage of dozens at one time.
For the career aspect of it, is becoming a certified hypnotherapist or entertainment hypnotist a viable career? Honestly, it sounds like it would be alot of fun.

2. Life Coaching: The field of psychology is very strict on making sure you are professionally trained and certified to provide work such as counseling. But now i am reading on the internet that there is this field called life coaching, which doesnt require a degree but a certificate, and is supposedly more lucrative than other psychology work, depending on how you market yourself. Is this just total BS?

I have no idea on either of them but the bias against them is pretty strong from traditional professionals. There were so many incidents of false memories back in the Donahoe talk show days that I think still are fresh in people's minds.

I see a lot of websites for life coaches with various credentials. I think it's just maybe a way for them to repackage their skillset to reach a different market. Therapist does still attach itself firmly to the stigma of disease and disgrace in most circles. Life coach is much more yuppie-tastic. Although, I associate it with the same thing as those centers where you pay thousands to go do Gestalt-type stuff with other people who paid thousands...

The entertainment hypnotherapist would be fun... but I've never thought of them as having formal training, I thought they were just like magicians or something??? Self-taught?? I don't know though.. interesting to think about...

Members don't see this ad :)
I use medical hypnotherapy to treat chronic pain and other chronic medical conditions that seem to respond to it. I liken it to relaxation training on steroids. There are parts of the hypnosis world that turn me off quite a bit. I don't agree with using it to uncover lost memories or any of that nonsense. I got pretty ticked off at my professor when he got into age regression and told him I thought it was unethical. That's my personal bias.

I have however personally seen it work with people with illness. It's been pretty heavily researched in that area with decent results that have been replicated.

As for life coaches? I recommend reading "Who Moved My Blackberry." :D

I'm with Cosmo in regard to hypnosis. I think in certain circumstances and when applied appropriately...it can be beneficial, though most people use it incorrectly. I lean more on the meditation/centering side of it, and very much away from regression and the stereotypical view of it.