Myth of Loma Linda University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trust068

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to clear up some myth about loma linda university. I am a student of LLUSD class of 2011. It might be too late to post this, but hopefully it will help some people here.

1. LLU is a SDA religious school – yes, you are required to take some religion classes once or twice a year. But they are pass/ fail and you do not need to read bible. They do not try to convert you and you do not have to be SDA to get accepted, as long as you can show them you are a spiritual nice person care about others. Those religion/ethic class just try to tell you how to live health and be an ethical profession. You are required to attend their church service every Wednesday morning, for the full first year and half of second year. However, you can just take nap or study at the one hour service. Down side is the school structures are locked down after Friday evening and Saturday for Sabbath. Also there is no meat or coffee serve in school, and of course, no smoking allowed.

2. Cost of LLU: for my year tuition and equipment cost is $224k,

3. Life style: I think it is depend on how smart you are. Some people I knew still have quite kick back life style, but I had no life because I am quite slow learner. However, it is not difficult to just pass classes. You also have 3 chances to fail classes, than you are out.

4. Extensive clinical experience: yes, you can actually sign up compassion clinic and start doing extraction, injection at first year. There are plenty of chances to get hand on experience. LLU also offer international mission trip at every vacation (3-8 countries at one vacation, you pick) and school will pay for 1/3 of expense (or 2/3, I forgot). We also have so many patients that kept you busy. Down side is the graduate clinic require is very high and some people do not like the stress.

5. Most of instructors are down to earthly nice. Some instructors would even coming in weekend or after hours to give you review or help you personally. When you are not doing great at school, they will try to talk to you personally and see how they can help you. I also feel classes coordination are very good. Sometimes you would have different speakers for one class, but your coordinator (which is one for the instructor) will still sit in the class to make sure the material coordinate with other classes.

6. Academic: class of 2009 had 100% NBDE part 1 passing rate, congratulation.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for your info on the LLU.
I am very interested in taking mission trips.

My case is somewhat unique and I would like your opinion.

Both of my parents passed away before I turned 20 years old.
I was accepted to numerous dental schools in 2001 (most notable was Columbia University), but decided not to enroll because I was deeply in financial debt.

Over the last few years the DAT has gotten more difficult (both because of the content, and preparedness of the candidates)

I scored 22 in 2000, versus 18 in 2008. Downward trend (not good). And I have a 3.1 cumulative.

I am 32 years of age now, and I am concerned that admissions committees will not see me as a viable candidate any longer. Do you think it would help to talk about my transcendental experience or my "spiritual side" in the personal statement? Should I do open post bacc studies? Retake DAT?
I wasn't sure about dental school the first time I was accepted, but now I am very sure. I don't remember ever being so desperate or wanting an education so badly!

Any help from dentists or pre-dental students would be appreciated.

I was accepted to numerous dental schools in 2001 (most notable was Columbia University), but decided not to enroll because I was deeply in financial debt.

Over the last few years the DAT has gotten more difficult (both because of the content, and preparedness of the candidates)

I scored 22 in 2000, versus 18 in 2008. Downward trend (not good). And I have a 3.1 cumulative.

I am 32 years of age now, and I am concerned that admissions committees will not see me as a viable candidate any longer. Do you think it would help to talk about my transcendental experience or my "spiritual side" in the personal statement? Should I do open post bacc studies? Retake DAT?
I wasn't sure about dental school the first time I was accepted, but now I am very sure. I don't remember ever being so desperate or wanting an education so badly!

Might want to call up LLU and ask about yor prereqs first, assumng if you completed them many years ago. If I am not mistaken, they have a 5 year rule on that. Good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)

make an appointment with loma linda to have a consultation and let them know about your situation. that is also one of the strength of LLU, that they see an applicant as a whole person not just numbers. If you do not get accepted this cycle but they like you enough, they will suggest you to apply the postbac program (i am not sure if it is for minority only, such african american, pacific islander, native american and latino) or bio-dentistry program (take classes with dental students for a year and retake DAT, if you do well, you will get a guarantee spot for following year). both programs would usually have 5 or 6 people per year, and they will take top 2 or 3 people from each program.

and above poster is correct, your credit expires if your class were taken more than 5 years old. you will need to retake those classes. but just see what they tell you in the consultation meeting. typically, you will speak to an actual member of admission committee member when you have consultation, not useless "recruiter" like some other schools. however this rule might had been changed, but it does not hurt to try.

good luck

2. Cost of LLU: for my year tuition and equipment cost is $224k,

WOW. I really hope that is a typo. It would take over 30 years to pay off 4 years of that.

WOW. I really hope that is a typo. It would take over 30 years to pay off 4 years of that.

He means total 4 years I think.

To the OP: Thanks for info.

that is for 4 years.

$224k i provided might be not an exactly number because i remembered it from my orientation, or maybe it included with living expense. here is the 06-07 school year expense http://www.llu.edu/llu/dentistry/admissions/documents/dexpenses.pdf

and here is USC if you would like to compare
http://www.usc.edu/hsc/dental/financial_aid/dds.htm

this is my education cost estimate for the first year, i copied and paste from my register info site

Budget Component Amount
Tuition $40,368.00
Required Fees $705.00
Enrollment Fee $1,515.00
Books $1,100.00
Instruments and Miscellaneous $5,754.00
Clinical Expenses $1,365.00
Room and Board $8,505.00
Personal Expenses $1,260.00
Transportation $2,835.00

Total:

$63,407.00